Vintage diver pros and cons? Why do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A while back, there was thread about solo diving and what drives them. What drives the vintage diver?

Sure I can see how shooters like to use muzzle loaders once in a while. I like vintage dirt bikes to a degree. But generally I prefer comfort and modern age engineering.

I used to hate those oral horseshoe BC's back in the day.

A diver here says he still likes to use J valves? Why? They do not interest me one bit. Maybe if he started with them and prefers to get nostalgic?

I'm just guessing...shed some light on the vintage diving physche

Thanks

In my opinion Vintage Diving is less equipment intensive and more of a demand on your personal skills, than modern diving. I'm not saying that improvements in equipment haven't made diving safer, they definetely have, but there is a simplicity about the older equipment that I enjoy from time to time.

There is also a certain msytique about double hose regulators. I've never been to any public diving area with one of mine that people didn't walk up to the table and want to know about the equipment.

If you look in the Sea Hunt Era of the general equiptment forum you may find many reasons. Myself it is how I learned to dive so it comes very easy to go back to the early equiptment. You are also much more streamlined without all the baggage.

Thanks for the feedback from both of your replies.

Yes, simplicity is a nice thing. Do the old double hose regs breath the same as out modern regs?

allenwrench:
I used to hate those oral horseshoe BC's back in the day.

And remember the hard plastic backpacks to harness the tanks with nothing but nylon straps over your shoulders. Not comfortable at all.

TOM

We take lots of people out on vintage dives. The thing that they all say is they feel free. So much lighter and the speed....one kick and they're off.

What I like is that the bubbles and noise are behind me - Great for taking pictures. Not much to mess with - just jump in. Although I must agree the backpack is a bit uncomfortable - but the +'s outweigh the -'s

Back
Top Bottom