Diver working on ferryboat dragged into prop when engine started - New Zealand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would disconnect the batteries for sure. And pull the small wire on the starter.

Be a good idea to disable the injection pump wire or lock the lever in the shutoff.

To many random people
This is normally what I do when working on customers equipment,

A boat is harder... you aren't even visible...

Hide the battery is probably the safest for peventing engine starting...

I don't care how many locks and lockout cables you use, you are assuming the person you are preventing from operating doesn't pull out a cordless grinder and cut the locks off.

Disconnect a battery terminal and put your lock through it so it can’t be reinstated. Take out the ignition key and put it on the lock also. Make sure you have a dated tag on the lock. Turn everything off. Just the standard loto procedure really.

Different situations require slightly different approaches, but here in nz you need to take “all practicable steps” to ensure safety. Its a pretty high standard. Having your mate watching to ensure it doesn’t start isn’t good enough.

On the flip side, if someone removes a padlock that isn’t theirs, then it’s all on them. I’ve heard of some sites making the padlock owners fly back to site to remove a padlock…

This is normally what I do when working on customers equipment,

A boat is harder... you aren't even visible...

Hide the battery is probably the safest for peventing engine starting...

I don't care how many locks and lockout cables you use, you are assuming the person you are preventing from operating doesn't pull out a cordless grinder and cut the locks off.
I actually had one of these "factory janitors" cut and remove a paddock i had on a circuit braker on a electrical braker when I was an 18 year old electricians apprentice. I'm fairly sure thats the first time the 50 - something year old man got shared by an 18-year old. Still makes me furious thinking of it. Stupidity like that is an argument for forcefully sterilizing families!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom