Venturing into DIY with an MK-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't forget to mention how that re-chroming cuts 0.2 inches off cracking pressure.

Forgive me, but it seems to me that re-chroming a 109 is like repainting work truck. Then you have to worry about scratches....

Ok, I lied in the previous post, that is one secret I was keeping back. By the way, one should NOT buy a NEW work truck or repaint one.....but this is life support. :)

MK 8....that's a MK 5 with a cap rather that a swivel turret, right? I might like that idea, and have been hoping to get a MK 9 (same as a MK 10 without the turret) for the same reasons.

c

MK 8....that's a MK 5 with a cap rather that a swivel turret, right? I might like that idea, and have been hoping to get a MK 9 (same as a MK 10 without the turret) for the same reasons.

c

That's it. I still prefer the larger piston head in the Mk5. But I'm just not at all sure why I would replace a Mk2 on my pony with a Mk8. Then again, I didn't think I needed a D-series or a Pilot either until I tried them.

We may need to look into Regulators Anonymous. Hopefully the cure involves more diving.

RA...... "Hello everyone, my name is Couv and I'm addicted to hoarding old scuba regulators."

At least I've managed to get rid of a few of mine. You and Matt and a few of the other Usual Suspects will need to rent some temporary storage (climatically controlled of course) before long.

c

Ever since I started buying climbing gear my reg purchasing has dropped off. It's easy, just replace one addiction with another. I do need another pilot or two.

Couv, the re-chromed 109 looks great, don't let awap dissuade you. $70 sounds about right, if the guy is doing a copper flash coat under the chrome. The vintage double hose re-chrome guy is close to $200 for a double hose.

I have a 109, but the rubber purge cover is rotten and needs replaced (higher pointed lip, 5 small holes).

Any scubapro dealer can get those; they're under $15 retail. If you get any flak from the dealer, remind him that this is not a rebuild part, more like replacing a mouthpiece. That might work, and if not, find another dealer. If you ordered 10 of them I bet the dealer's 'concern for your safety' would magically disappear.

There are some good guys that own dive shops, you'll find one. There are some real knuckle-draggers too, you'll probably find them as well.

... Couv, the re-chromed 109 looks great, don't let awap dissuade you...

Yep, I said it before and I say it again: IT'S GORGEOUS! awap's just jalous :D

... If you ordered 10 of them I bet the dealer's 'concern for your safety' would magically disappear...

Good reason to start yet another group buy?

Last edited:
:)Skinny aluminium knitting needle from seat end up in.
Drop ring over.
Skinny aluminium knitting needle another one slightly bigger down from piston end poke ring in groove hold with first needle and roll feed ring in.
Add grease to taste.
Bigger still aluminium knitting needle can modify to fit knife edge if desired etc etc.

I think the trick is to start dry and grease later. Roll grease in with a needle.

Very dexterous with the length and ability to hold and move and wiggle and twist everything with two hands all at the same time.

Plenty of tools and keys and things from a dozen for 10 bucks at the thrift shop.

Save swearing for catching flies with aluminium knitting needles.:)

With due respect, knowone, I think it'll look & sound a lot better in verses:

Skinny aluminium knitting needle
From seat end up in the middle

Can you rephrase please? :D

:jazzband::drummer::rockband:Skinny aluminium knitting needle
Click one purl two da do do do da
From seat end up in the middle:doh2:
Drop o o o oring over o o o o o
Skinny aluminium knitting needle
Click one purl two do da do da day
Or plastic if you're anal boom da boom
Cos it's kinder on the flies boom boom.
No 1 hey?:rockband:

What's a fly without wings
A walk
Well I should make legible at least one reply?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom