Taking apart a Scubapro MK5 - what tools do I need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The attachment should make it easy

How can grooves be lands, you're turning my world upside down again

Might have to call those guys that think screws are bolts in for another voice on the subject

And remember guys no one is entitled to their own opinion if it's rubbish stupid and wrong

And remember guys no one is entitled to their own opinion if it's rubbish stupid and wrong
That's why I love you, @happy-diver !

I have been schooled again!
The o-ring indeed sits in a groove, or gland, not a land. Indeed, the land (of an engine cylinder, for example) is the outer diameter of the cylinder where the grooves for the compression rings sit. Or, as happy points out, the ridges between the grooves of a rifled barrel.

And all these years, I've been confusing glands and lands. Now I've gotta go rewrite that little pamphlet. Sigh.

Indeed, the land (of an engine cylinder, for example) is the outer diameter of the cylinder where the grooves for the compression rings sit. Or, as happy points out the ridges between the grooves of a rifled barrel.
The term land has specific and sometimes contradictory meanings in machining. I wouldn't use it at all unless you know it is accepted in that context.

Piston ring lands and cut* gun barrel lands both refer to areas that were the full diameter of the piece before additional cuts are made, but of course the land diameter in a rifled barrel is smaller than the groove diameter while the reverse is true of piston ring lands.

And when talking about machine tools, lands have several specific meaning depending on the context. For example, it usually refers to the relieved areas behind the cutting edges of a bit. Which is the opposite of a piston land. But it can also refer to a full diameter section of certain types of cutters that supports the cutting edge.

* I had to refer to cut gun barrels because there is later process called hammer forging where the rifling is impressed on the bore by pounding it over a mandrel. In this case, there's no actual cutting of the grooves, but the different diameters keep their traditional names.

So on the impression imprinted on the expended projectile
have the grooves made lands and the lands made grooves?

So on the impression imprinted on the expended projectile
have the grooves made lands and the lands made grooves?
Forensic examiners prosaically label the marks made on the bullet by the barrel rifling as "rifling marks".

Attached please find a revision of the DH Pick pamphlet, corrected so that a land is a land and a gland is a groove. Or something like that...
Made a few revisions for clarity and changed a couple of pics. Hope this one's a little better.

Attachments

• How To Use A Double Hook Pick_v2.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom