Taking apart a Scubapro MK5 - what tools do I need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe the ultrasonic can help with stuck parts too. That's why I asked. Your u/s approach sounds similar to mine. I start with the simple green, then go to a vinegar/water solution, and then a soak in a baking soda and water solution.

I believe the ultrasonic can help with stuck parts too.

Man, I just threw my entire diesel inlet manifold in mine, freed up all the butterflys magnificently

Breathing my special formula at 80c isn't a favorite

Made it sparkle arkle

Yeah and microwaved hot phosphoric acid for doing regs leaves some noxious cloud in the room

The attachment should make it easy
I’m going to order one for the future, the pick that is. In a classic case of curiosity killing the cat, I used a brass pick and speared the o-ring, looks like someone was in there. Saw a scratch on the ambient chamber side of the reg body. I’m taking a break to order tools(reg holder, pick, sockets) and get parts(HP seat and O-rings, I’ll look for an NOS Scubapro Mk5 kit for the seat, I’ll hit up Grainger or the local hydraulics store for the O-rings).

Even if this reg is toast, I find this a valuable exercise - and now I have a deeper respect for regs.

I’m going to order one for the future, the pick that is. In a classic case of curiosity killing the cat, I used a brass pick and speared the o-ring, looks like someone was in there. Saw a scratch on the ambient chamber side of the reg body. I’m taking a break to order tools(reg holder, pick, sockets) and get parts(HP seat and O-rings, I’ll look for an NOS Scubapro Mk5 kit for the seat, I’ll hit up Grainger or the local hydraulics store for the O-rings).

Even if this reg is toast, I find this a valuable exercise - and now I have a deeper respect for regs.
Just know that any O-rings that are exposed to high pressure need to be duro 90 or they could extrude. Those would be the inside one for the HP seat cap, and the internal piston shaft O-ring in the body.

And if you are using aftermarket orings instead of an OEM kit, know that a duro 90 metric 10 x 2 mm oring is a better seat seal than the 2-013 that is commonly seen on annotated schematics, to replace that orange plastic square'ish seat seal (or the original purple 01-050-147 oring).

Just know that any O-rings that are exposed to high pressure need to be duro 90 or they could extrude. Those would be the inside one for the HP seat cap, and the internal piston shaft O-ring in the body.
I know - softer ones for the piston head and IP sides, harder ones for the HP side(HP seat and piston shaft). I had some 90 duro o-rings for a Mk200 that are too small.

And if you are using aftermarket orings instead of an OEM kit, know that a duro 90 metric 10 x 2 mm oring is a better seat seal than the 2-013 that is commonly seen on annotated schematics, to replace that orange plastic square'ish seat seal (or the original purple 01-050-147 oring).
Is the only other special one I need besides the 90A 2-010 piston shaft o-ring?

@happy-diver, Apparently your ultrasonic cleaner is a bit larger than the one I have.

Ha ha ha ha, don't men say it's not about the size it's about the selection on offer

027.JPG

On a different path I could have been a boy scout, not a scout master a boy scout

Converging-Roads (1).jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom