Lessons Tales from the workbench, jury-rigged regs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scared Silly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I thought I would start a fun thread about tales from the workbench and jury-rigged regs. Perhaps it will become a sticky. The purpose is to post up jury-rigged reg discoveries. Some may even be a good resource for when one is out diving and needs a field repair with less than optimal parts.

Today I had two Atomic regs come across my bench. These were early versions with the old sharp pistons (circa 2000). Those with the sharp piston have a trim piece that looks like a donut. The current version, the trim piece is more like a beanie. So it is easy to tell them apart.

As I took out the HP seat it had a "J" on it indicating it was for the "newer" jet piston. I thought oh someone must have replaced the piston but used the old trim piece. Nope, they used the new HP seat with the old piston. The mating between the two was probably not optimal so the reg most likely had IP creep.

With the piston out, next was to remove the HP o-ring which is surround by a metal washer on the spring side and a teflon washer on the reg body side. There was no HP o-ring but instead a FlexiSeal o-ring (picture attached). That was a first in multiple ways. I want to chat with Atomic and see what they think about such o-rings. Probably over-kill.

On to the second reg which was sealed which meant the ambient chamber was filled with Christolube or similar. However, while the chamber was sealed, the trim ring was not the sealed version but the normal version with holes which lets water pass into the chamber. It probably helped some but...

I have other tales about jury-rigged regs that have come across my bench but these are the most recent. I am sure others have some tales that are far better.

Attachments

• IMG_1581.JPG
    IMG_1581.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 87
The flexi seal o-ring was, I believe, not jury rigged but an original Atomic component. I have two in my shop that I've pulled from T1's. I think they were pretty cool, but probably too expensive for continued use.

Haha, out here in the Pacific Islands it's easy to top your stories. Had a guy bring in a reg saying it was leaking. Evidently from the ambient ports, because he had JB Welded them closed.. Had some really nasty second stages cross my bench. It took me a while to figure out that the divers were chewing betal nut while underwater and spitting through the regs.

The flexi seal o-ring was, I believe, not jury rigged but an original Atomic component. I have two in my shop that I've pulled from T1's. I think they were pretty cool, but probably too expensive for continued use.
I checked with Atomic and you are correct. They were amazed that I found a reg with one still in it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom