Venturing into DIY with an MK-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...BTW, don't be in too much of a hurry. Prices (demand) seems to take a dip between Thanksgiving and Xmas. I figure no more than $30 a stage (including shipping) unless there is really something special. That Mk5 you have is a good one. But you will also need a spare....

....Nonsense, NOW is the time to buy. In fact I have a "friend" who thinks you should buy this better than new, freshly re-chromed 109 for your wife to satisfy her diving needs. AND, at the same time give you something to work on as you show her that your new found talent as a DIY regulator rebuild master is a gift! :D

c

109-2.jpg

109-1.jpg

....Nonsense, NOW is the time to buy. In fact I have a "friend" who thinks you should buy this better than new, freshly re-chromed 109 for your wife to satisfy her diving needs. AND, at the same time give you something to work on as you show her that your new found talent as a DIY regulator rebuild master is a gift! :D

c

Now that is a very nice looking reg. But what kind of DIYer would I be if I bought something someone has already refurbed?

So what does it take to get the parts rechromed?

couv my brother, are you still talking in the 6 digit range or has your price come down, the recession, you know... :D

Parz....the same type of DIY guy I am. You don't think I re-chromed that myself do you? That takes an artist. Putting it back together and making it breathe as good as it looks (poor grammar not withstanding) is the challenge. But to be honest with you, the difficult and boring part of DIY is the cleaning and corrosion removal-the fun part is putting it back together, tuning, and diving it.

Brother Zung, the budget six digit case has been sold to a secret but well known DIY brother. THIS one is going to be expensive! If you want to take Awap's advice and take a chance on the price coming down after Thanksgiving, don't say I didn't warn you. Better PM me with your offer for this one or one of my other more affordable 109/BAs in the closet.

c

couv - That is a great looking piece. I have very little experience with older gear and it is the internal mechanicals that interest me most, but having a nice shiny reg is, of course, a nice bonus. Having said that, if I can find a good "chromer" can you give me a ballpark as to the cost? Not that I want to reveal any trade secrets.....

Couv,

That is a mighty fine piece. It looks too pretty to use. I have a 109, but the rubber purge cover is rotten and needs replaced (higher pointed lip, 5 small holes). Since it seems you have the lion's share of 109's, maybe you could help me find a replacement purge cover! :)

Have you balanced any of your 109's with 250 parts? Or, have you kept everything original?

Thanks,

Jeremy

sweet.. that looks like fun.

I bet you get that working tiptop, and will never have to worry about it walking off.

post pix when you complete it..

Parz, we just tease each other here, there are really no secrets. I paid $70 for the re-chrome job and that included doing all the pieces in the picture. However, like most others I had to buy the reg on eBay first. So if you're going the re-chrome route your best bet is to get the cheapest case you can find.

Iknee, I have balanced all of my personal 109s. It cost a little more, but you'll find that the seats on a BA last longer and it could be my imagination, but they breathe smoother. Even though there are a few more parts involved, servicing the BA is easier than the unbalanced 109. The 109 spring is much stiffer than on a BA, but the new- so called DURO poppets used on the 109 are more flimsy than the old style poppets. This sometimes causes the feet on the Duro poppet to jump over the lever tabs and slam into the orifice and crack. Some of that problem can be attributed to the old style lever, but I find the combination of the heavy spring and flimsy poppet more trouble than it's worth.

As far as getting parts, usually I have to piece together a few second stages to get one good one, but every now and then we (the Usual Suspects) find a shop willing to make a group order for us. Our point man is usually Awap, so tell him what parts you need. It may take a while, but perhaps we can get another order in before we're too old to dive.

Skankpile, I have all the parts needed to complete it, and that can be done in a couple of minutes, but I'm afraid that if I put it together I'd want to dive it. I had it re-chromed as an experiment and investment. I wanted do this just to see how it came out and was confident that I could sell them if they looked nice. I had two of them done by two separate shops and I like the results. I sold one to a friend for the money I put into it, but unless I sell the other it will have been an expensive (but fun) experiment.

I probably will put it together and put it up for sale either here or on eBay next Spring.

c

Last edited:
Don't forget to mention how that re-chroming cuts 0.2 inches off cracking pressure.

Forgive me, but it seems to me that re-chroming a 109 is like repainting work truck. Then you have to worry about scratches. But it does look good.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid I may have been cut off by my parts source. My last order is about 6 months overdue now and nowhere in sight.

Couv - I'm still not sure I understand exactly what happened to the duro poppets with the old lever. If you have not thrown them out, bring one the next time we meet. BTW if you have any old, failed springs for the BA, I could use one for a little experiment.

Praz - I prefer to keep my 109 unbalanced. I have 3 Balanced Adjustables plus one 109 I did convert to test the Trident rivet style seat. It seems to be working fine so the real challenge is to get the modern poppets from scubapro and then there are other sources for necessary seats. I made my own seat for the unbalanced versions for pennies each. Sometiomes I can notice the better performance of a 156 but usually it is like Coke and Pepsi.

Damn, just lost out on a Mk 8 with a 109. Just as well. I'm not sure what I needed it for other than I think the Mk8 would be a great pony or stage reg.

Don't forget to mention how that re-chroming cuts 0.2 inches off cracking pressure.

Forgive me, but it seems to me that re-chroming a 109 is like repainting work truck. Then you have to worry about scratches. But it does look good.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid I may have been cut off by my parts source. My last order is about 6 months overdue now and nowhere in sight.

Couv - I'm still not sure I understand exactly what happened to the duro poppets with the old lever. If you have not thrown them out, bring one the next time we meet. BTW if you have any old, failed springs for the BA, I could use one for a little experiment.

Praz - I prefer to keep my 109 unbalanced. I have 3 Balanced Adjustables plus one 109 I did convert to test the Trident rivet style seat. It seems to be working fine so the real challenge is to get the modern poppets from scubapro and then there are other sources for necessary seats. I made my own seat for the unbalanced versions for pennies each. Sometiomes I can notice the better performance of a 156 but usually it is like Coke and Pepsi.

Damn, just lost out on a Mk 8 with a 109. Just as well. I'm not sure what I needed it for other than I think the Mk8 would be a great pony or stage reg.

Thanks for the information, this is a whole new world for me.

Hrm - I think we might have been bidding on the same auction.... :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom