Vaccinations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys, he's staying on AC for a week and taking two day trips to the mainland, not swimming naked in sewage in the jungle.

He's a helluva lot more at risk of being in a car accident in Belize City than he is for getting malaria, etc., lol.

And to clarify, I'm not anti-vaccine and didn't mean to come off that way if I did. I'm not even all that anti-unecessary-vacine. But in my opinion getting all those vaccinations for a one week trip to a town built to cater to tourists with a couple of days trips to the mainland is a waste of time and money.

Bug repellant, otoh, is a great investment. I've used mine only once in three prior trips covering almost the entire country, but I'm always glad I packed it.

He's a helluva lot more at risk of being in a car accident in Belize City than he is for malaria, etc., lol.
Oh, don't leave the airport at Belize City without a body guard - seriously.

Opinions on malaria prevention vary and some say AC is not at risk, but Chloroquine is a middle ground approach I like - not as bad or expensive to take as the more aggressive meds but maybe a good idea in case the mosquitoes didn't get the memo about not going there. :D

Of his mentioned vacs: Hepatitis A, Hep B, MMR, and Tetanus are all good ideas for the US - while I do skip Typhoid.

I have Hep B, MMR, and Tetanus. The ones I was looking into are Hep A, Typhoid, and if the malaria preventive drugs are needed.

We will be there for a week, mostly diving, with a couple day trips inland. A couple of the day trips we are considering do involve a short walk or hike through the jungle, or being on a couple of the rivers, but nothing too long or involved.

Well, the Hep A is only 2 shots if I remember correctly and a good idea. I do the malaria meds, but you want to spray early and often with DEET anyway as there is no vaccine for dengue.

On my "dog tags" (thumb flash drive):

Previous Travel Illness: Dengue Fever (2001).
Drug Allergy: Penicillin
Current Immunizations (2010):
Combined Tetanus, Diptheria & Pertussis Vaccines;
Hepatitis A;
Typhoid Fever;
Malaria Prophylaxis (Doxycycline).

Been taking Doxy for two days now, packing & getting ready for travel to Singapore/South China Sea. . .

Guys, he's staying on AC for a week and taking two day trips to the mainland, not swimming naked in sewage in the jungle.

He's a helluva lot more at risk of being in a car accident in Belize City than he is for getting malaria, etc., lol.

And to clarify, I'm not anti-vaccine and didn't mean to come off that way if I did. I'm not even all that anti-unecessary-vacine. But in my opinion getting all those vaccinations for a one week trip to a town built to cater to tourists with a couple of days trips to the mainland is a waste of time and money.

Bug repellant, otoh, is a great investment. I've used mine only once in three prior trips covering almost the entire country, but I'm always glad I packed it.

One of my guys has been going to India for 2 years now, staying at 4 and 5 star hotels and eating only at good places. For the last two trips he has been getting pretty sick after each trip and this week was diagnose with Hep A.

It can get you, why not just go get the shots

I have Hep B, MMR, and Tetanus. The ones I was looking into are Hep A, Typhoid, and if the malaria preventive drugs are needed.

We will be there for a week, mostly diving, with a couple day trips inland. A couple of the day trips we are considering do involve a short walk or hike through the jungle, or being on a couple of the rivers, but nothing too long or involved.
I think two vaccinations, six months apart, give you 10 years and perhaps lifetime immunity to Hepatitis A and B. There was an outbreak of -A in New York City not too long ago, so it's not just for jungle trekking. If you are sexually active (or travel extensively in Asia) you should have -B as well (I got a combination vaccine A+B). I keep all my immunizations current, but I have traveled to Belize three times without taking any special precautions like anti-malarial drugs. I can't dismiss the idea of taking them though, because your itinerary is a little vague. Most people tolerate Chloroquine well, but there are reports of hallucinations, seizures, insomnia, etc., with Mefloquine. Your doctor would prescribe Chloroquine for Belize (once he locates it on a map), and you would begin treatment well before your trip for it to work properly. That also let's you know what to expect in terms of side effects.

In my layman's opinion, the routine vaccinations are no-brainers, the risk-reward of typhoid vaccinations tilts towards getting it if you are traveling rough, and anti-malarials are best saved for trips with more risk than yours entails.

This is bad advice, gleaned from dubious sources, with little or no scientific basis. Ignore it. Consult the CDC's WEBSITE. Perhaps ask your question in the Medical Forum here and ignore the advice of laypeople.

As has been suggested, whether or not you travel "rough" may determine your needs as much as what country you visit.

You prefer to believe in a pharmaceutically funded and driven world where the END GAME is to deliver a constant flood of drugs people will feel they need...the drugs are not created to CURE ever--this would mean small future revenue for Stockholders.....The Drugs are created to mitigate or relieve symtoms...Typically taking one drug for more than a short while, will mean side effects that can then instill a desire for another drug to relieve those symptoms....and this snowballs exponentially in our population of Americans looking for the Magic Pill to becoming healthy. How can a person of any intelligence, watch the typical drug commercials on TV, and not be freaked out of their mind with all the terrible events that are discussed as possible reactions to the drugs, in the disclaimers...

Certainly there are some "medicines" that are crucial and needed....Like when you cut yourself out in the wilderness ( or backyard) and the cut gets infected, heading for septicemia.... The issue is not entirely Black and White.
However, there is so much abuse by the Advertising Power of the Pharmaceutical Industry, along with this TREAT THE SYMPTOM based indoctrination they have managed to instill among our Medical Schools, that the actual CURES are overlooked, a great deal of the time....Cures that can not be patented, and that are nutrition or health based, and which could cost billions to the Pharmaceuticals if they became widespread.

Sugar is the posterchild for my point. Virtually ignored as a major cause of hyperactivity in children, and many other childhood diseases, the industry demands DRUGS rather than forcing the family to remove sugar ( or most sugar) from the diet of the child. Insulin Resistance in adults is met with the drug solution for life, rather than making attempts to fix the nutrition mistakes which caused this, and to reset the body--eliminate the resistance, by resetting with Vanadyl sulfate and a low carb low sugar diet. Of course, this would end a billion dollar industry, one that spawns purchases or many other drugs for the complications of Diabetes....statins, and a whole host of expensive "take for life" type money makers. If the CDC had a clue, it should have removed High Fructose Corn syrup from American Foods long ago, and dealt with the Sugar Problem in America. Agencies like the FDA appear to be funded and controlled by the Pharmaceutical world and poison producers like Big Sugar, and so they protect the worst threats, and then attack the Healthy but weak players that could hurt the profit margins of the big boys....This ties in nicely with all the attacks on the Family Farm, and all the assistance to the Factory Farms.

Regarding Vaccines, I have been reading Mercola's nutrition advice for over 20 years....The vast majority of his big issues, are always proven in time. I would trust Mercola and his opinion on Vaccines long before I would trust the Pharmaceutical giants out to make money. But hey, if you want to poisen yourself with Aluminum or Mercury, or thimerosol, that is your choice. You can believe who you want to believe.. But if you think the Science you and I both based our earlier educations on, is the Pristine source of Truth it once was, I think you need some Reality checks. We live in a world where with enough money, a Study can "find for" just about anything. Since the public is not interested in Critical Review of Science or Medical Journal articles, they will just never see beyond the Advertising. And "blindly" following Vacination protocols is not helping :)

So rather than having vaccinations backed up by medical research to prevent some pretty awful diseases based on some myths about what is in the vaccines....slather yourself in DEET, which is oh so good for you.....

Hep A and B can be transferred through food if it was prepared by someone who doesn't maintain basic hygiene with the cook and kitchen being the primary risk area. If you eat only at quality places and drink bottled water and drinks you should be fine.

there is quite a lot of misinformation there

first of all HEP A is acquired by eating food or drinking water that has been contaminated by the faeces of infected individuals.
whereas HEP B can be contracted by contact with blood from an infected person – transfusion of infected blood and blood products or by contaminated needles used by drug addicts, tattooists or acupuncturists.

second of all eating at high end restaurants doesn't protect you from contracting HEP A
with an incubation period of 10 to 40 days how do they know their staff is no infected?
i would love to see a restaurant that tests their employees for HEP A on regular basis

to the OP: HEP A and HEP B are a concern anywhere in the world, 1 star to 5 star resort, my advise to you is get the Twinrix (hepatitis A and B vaccine), i did, follow the standard 0, 1, 6 month schedule to be completed and you are good for life
small price to pay considering the horrible consequences of contracting those viruses

for the love of His Noodly Appendage, educate yourself before making such statements

Back
Top Bottom