Question Japanese Encephalitis Vaccinination for Thailand: Cost of Vaccine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My son and I are going to Thailand. He (26y) is going hiking and river rafting in the Chang Mai Hills and then we will both be going to dive paradise islands. He does not dive, likely just keeping me company as my hubby does not want to fly anymore.
So have you gotten Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine (two shots ) and what was your cost?
Is this necessary for me if going to Krabi, or dive only locations?
Is there other vaccines such as Typhoid or Hepatitis that you got, and cost/necessity?
Thank you!

I have been to Thailand many times including far north/south. Never had any vaccination except using mossie repellent. Dengue fever, JE and malaria are all transmitted by mossie and very common in this part of the world.
Your holiday, your choice.
BTW, where are you going to dive in Krabi province?
Your son probably prefer Ao Nang but my suggestion is Koh Lanta. I had stayed one night at Ao Nang on the way to Koh Lanta and have no desire to repeat again. There are other routes.
There is direct flight from Chiang Mai to Krabi and depend on arrival time, readily transfer to Koh Lanta.

Interesting. I am one to pay attention to CDC travel vaccine recommendations, and though I haven't been to Chiang Mai in years (2006?), I did some hiking in the hills, but I don't recall anything about a recommendation for Japanese Encephalitis vaccine. I used to keep my Typhoid and Hep vaccinations up to date when I was more of a globetrotting traveler than I am these days.

So this must be what you found, from the CDC website:

Japanese EncephalitisRecommended for travelers who
  • Are moving to an area with Japanese encephalitis to live
  • Spend long periods of time, such as a month or more, in areas with Japanese encephalitis
  • Frequently travel to areas with Japanese encephalitis
Consider vaccination for travelers
  • Spending less than a month in areas with Japanese encephalitis but will be doing activities that increase risk of infection, such as visiting rural areas, hiking or camping, or staying in places without air conditioning, screens, or bed nets
  • Going to areas with Japanese encephalitis who are uncertain of their activities or how long they will be there
Not recommended for travelers planning short-term travel to urban areas or travel to areas with no clear Japanese encephalitis season.

Yes, my son is going hiking in rural jungly area so he needs it.
I am interested in going straight to Krabi and Koh Tao island so i believe there is less mosquito danger near the salt water beaches.

Yes, my son is going hiking in rural jungly area so he needs it.
I am interested in going straight to Krabi and Koh Tao island so i believe there is less mosquito danger near the salt water beaches.

There is NO vaccination for dengue fever.

The hiking season in the north is now until Mar which is the wrong time to go to Koh Tao unless your son wants to attend the infamous Full Moon party in Koh Phangan.

There is such a thing as rainy season in the Kingdom and mossie thrive on stagnant water. In any build up area which is offering accommodation and scuba diving, you can rest assure to find mossie.

Use repellent.

As a 20+ year resident of Thailand, I'd say your most important vaccine is for rabies. As you may have heard, there are a lot of "soi" [feral] dogs in Thailand. And while mist are friendly and harmless, it only takes a bite from one to ruin a vacation. Rabies can also be contracted from cats, bats and many other animals. So be sure you've all been vaccinated and boosted.

A tetanus booster is also a good idea, if it's been awhile since your last jab.

Especially if hiking up north or diving at the islands, malaria and dengue are much more prevalent than Japanese encephalitis. There are vaccines and profalactis for these but they have limited efficacy. The best defense for is to slather on a 10-15% DEET mosquito lotion in the morning and at sunset (available at every 7-Eleven in the country).

These are my reccos for Thailand; with these in hand, you'll have an enjoyable and fun filled holiday.

My son and I are going to Thailand. He (26y) is going hiking and river rafting in the Chang Mai Hills and then we will both be going to dive paradise islands. He does not dive, likely just keeping me company as my hubby does not want to fly anymore.
So have you gotten Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine (two shots ) and what was your cost?
Is this necessary for me if going to Krabi, or dive only locations?
Is there other vaccines such as Typhoid or Hepatitis that you got, and cost/necessity?
Thank you!
I in the U.K.

When I go to Thailand I am covered for JE, rabies, malaria and anything else my medical centre recommend As it’s personal travel I can’t get them on the NHS, but the peace of mind is worth the hundreds (£) I spend on vaccinations and tablets.

Sorry. Whyis threr no vqcination vor.denge.fever?

Oh my god. What I meant was why is there no vaccination for Dengue fever? I hate typing on tablets.

Back
Top Bottom