Vaccinations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure, I always consult my podiatrist for eye exams.

It has been an interesting derail, but now I feel the need to clarify some things. I am not anti-vaccinations in any way. I feel that they do a wonderful job of protecting the population at large from some pretty terrible diseases. I also do not buy into Jenny McCarthy's theories in the slightest.

I was just looking for information from people who have traveled to Belize about the prevalence of the diseases noted. At this point, I am leaning toward getting the Hep A shot, still undecided about the malaria pills, and probably going to rule out typhoid (unless anyone feels strongly that this is needed and can show me why).

I don't suggest every vaccine that come out either. However, it is up to the individual to decide which is right. The flu vaccine for those who are in the high risk category it is a no brainer.

You are a diver, isn't it all about risk mitigation?

Absolutely. And I am just saying don't blindly take ALL vaccines suggested, without looking into each one.

If I read, that going to some dive destination I was planning on travelling to, demanded certain vaccines....I would begin by seeing what Mercola had said about those Vaccines..then, I would try to find the best papers in Journals on the Vaccines in question, read these, then google a lot more on the Vaccines in question.....
What I would never do, is trust the ads on TV, or the "News Media". I would also never TRUST a big pharmaceutical giant about anything they are making, particularly a new Vaccine. Anything like this I would do my own research on, and I would never just trust a local doctor to have done all this research themself--some may have, but I would not assume this, and would want to do the research myself.

---------- Post added April 29th, 2012 at 10:59 AM ----------

It has been an interesting derail, but now I feel the need to clarify some things. I am not anti-vaccinations in any way. I feel that they do a wonderful job of protecting the population at large from some pretty terrible diseases. I also do not buy into Jenny McCarthy's theories in the slightest.

I was just looking for information from people who have traveled to Belize about the prevalence of the diseases noted. At this point, I am leaning toward getting the Hep A shot, still undecided about the malaria pills, and probably going to rule out typhoid (unless anyone feels strongly that this is needed and can show me why).
I have been in Belize, and dived there as well. No vaccinations, and no problems. Also, it was not buggy at all, so I am not clear on where the malaria angle is coming from, unless it is for someone traveling to the jungles far from the ocean.....With that in mind, trekking through the Everglades means putting yourself into some of the largest insect and mosquito swarms on the planet. Does this mean anyone visiting Florida needs to be vaccinated as if they were headed to a 3rd world destination?

Yes, back on topic. Maybe you should figure out which districts you'll be visiting on the mainland to help you decide. If it's Cayo, Stann Creek, or Toledo that might tip the scales in favor of the Chloroquine.

---------- Post added April 29th, 2012 at 11:05 PM ----------

I have been in Belize, and dived there as well. No vaccinations, and no problems. Also, it was not buggy at all, so I am not clear on where the malaria angle is coming from, unless it is for someone traveling to the jungles far from the ocean.....With that in mind, trekking through the Everglades means putting yourself into some of the largest insect and mosquito swarms on the planet. Does this mean anyone visiting Florida needs to be vaccinated as if they were headed to a 3rd world destination?
Come on, Dan. Nobody thinks the Everglades are a malaria threat. Mosquitos are just the vector—you know this, right? Malaria is caused by parasites of the Plasmodium family, transmitted by mosquitos. And yes, the "malaria angle" comes from his plans to visit the mainland. I have been diving Belize three times without taking precautions against malaria—it's not recommended for travel to the atolls, or aboard the Aggressor.

It sounds like you got the info you needed in spite of the debates. :thumb: We always get anti-vaccines types in these.

My home bud is always looking into suppressed, alternative meds that failed to make main stream medical science - he even tries many of them, but when he gets sick - he goes back to the pros with proven track records. He is really into a lot of witch doctor stuff, that fails. He does get a flu shot annually tho and it certainly helps...!!

Yes, back on topic. Maybe you should figure out which districts you'll be visiting on the mainland to help you decide. If it's Cayo, Stann Creek, or Toledo that might tip the scales in favor of the Chloroquine.

---------- Post added April 29th, 2012 at 11:05 PM ----------

Come on, Dan. Nobody thinks the Everglades are a malaria threat. Mosquitos are just the vector—you know this, right?.

Hey, if you guys can exagerate to make a point, why can't I ? :D

My experience is that the better restaurants in areas where there are water born risks and that cater to a tourist clientele many times have secondary water filter system if for no other reason than to take care of the stray amoeba that will give you the ****s.

As for Heb B, your right that it is spread by body fluids, in a kitchen this is very easy to do as as kitchens are filled with nice sharp knifes. But a better kitchen tends to have better trained cooks who don't cut themselves as much or know to re-wash or dispose of foods that may have been contaminated.

Nothing is perfect in any of the above which is why I think you should get the vaccines and you should also have a resistance test done to make sure that you have actuality developed Hep A & B resistance.

If you're talking about drinking water, i am all for drinking bottled water, however HEP A has nothing to do with the filtration system, if the infected person doesn't wash their hand you can have a HEPA filter and it won't help, is usually spread from person to person by putting something in the mouth that has been contaminated with the stool of a person infected with hepatitis A

You will not get HEP B from someone cutting themselves in the kitchen, it needs bodily contact, if you touch infected blood and stick your finger up your nose or mouth you have a good chance of getting it but not too high
The greatest chance of getting an infection is when fresh blood or body fluid from an infected person gets into you through a poke, cut, or open area on your skin.

I'll check back tonight to see what Dandy Don and the Vaccine Enforcement Squad of SB, has decided to Mandate.:D
Your exaggerations are getting way out there...! :eek:

I'm off to go diving.

I'll check back tonight to see what Dandy Don and the Vaccine Enforcement Squad of SB, has decided to Mandate.:D

Have a good dive.

But keep you viruses and bacteria to yourself.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom