Using a BAR submersible pressure gauge in the USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finneli Felwitch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Not always but frequently I seem to get divers who either do not believe me when I hand single them my remaining gas or want to visual examine my pressure gauge, I dive with a PSI gauge. I have been thinking of doing things differently, like routing my primary 2nd stage over my left shoulder rather than the standard right shoulder, (adopting the gear configurations used in Europe). These changes have provided me with only slight entertainment.

Has anyone switched to BAR for use in the USA? what reactions did you get if any?

(When people ask me the time, I give it to them in 24 hour clock because all my time pieces are set to 24 hour)

What are you talking about? In Europe, I have never seen the primary regulator on the left shoulder. In some coutries the octopus may be on the left side, but not the other regulator. When it comes to bars in tanks in the US, we did our DM training in Fort Lauderdale and we never had problems. After all the signs for air are half tank and reserve. Nobody should be talking about numbers............So were is the issue :)

i use a gauge in PSI in the UK. no great shakes

I've used metric gauges for recreational OW dives in the US for the last three years. No big deal, but I do occasionally make mental conversions for the sake of my dive buddies.

Since I've recently been doing more technically planned dives with doubles, I've switched to using an SPG in PSI for ease of gas planning. (But only with the double reg set.) My computer and depth gauge remain in meters, because that's how I was trained in deco procedures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I frequently travel overseas for technical wreck diving and most of my dive buddies are from Europe or Asia --We may not speak the same language on the surface, but we do communicate effectively underwater via standard DIR hand signals, protocol & technique, and using the worldwide standard of the Metric System. (What true "Global Underwater Explorers" implement & utilize).

I've completely switched over to the metric system for diving, even here in US, and have a spare dual unit SPG for dive buddies to use who would like to learn how much easier it is use metric vs US imperial units.

My wife and I have been using Bar for a couple of years now.

Even though Canada is a metric country - the diving is learned in the imperial system.

Most of our dive buddies are not too concerned about the exact amount of air we have.
We just make sure we are not in a situation where we are going to run out of air.

We signal "ok" and "turn the dive" when appropriate.

No problems so far using Bar in Hawaii and Mexico.

When pressed for specific numbers, I convert in my head to PSI. Otherwise it's just ok, half tank, or low/thumb.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

In Europe areas where they use the H-Valve they route their Secondary 2nd stage over their left shoulder off the secondary tank valve.
This is called their octo by some.
The primary 2nd stage is still routed over the right shoulder.

Be sure to brief your buddy and actually train yourself to proficiency in your gear config; whatever you choose.
Do not do things differently just for ****s and giggles. It's not fun as an instructor to get a blank stare and prolonged fumble from a student who can't find their octo.

It's definitely no fun in a real world emergency. :wink:

For your Gauge units questions, I've done the opposite. I used a PSI gauge when all my research fellows used BAR. We memorized our key Turn PSI/BAR units and End Dive PSI/BAR units and also realized that the important tick marks were in the same position on all our dials. So it's a non issue once you realize the pattern.

Having dived in a number of countries with varying units, I see no issue as long as YOU AND YOUR BUDDY are familiar with what you have. That it is feet/metres PSI/BAR means little. The confusion arises when you are paired with someone with different units on their rig. In that instance, you should only dive if you are confident enough. If you are a nervous diver, then leave it alone and either find a buddy with your units or don't dive. You will have enough issues if things go wrong, without the worry of differing units.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom