SPG Blew Off Under Pressure - Cause?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People forget to tighten things even mechanics.

But everyone assumes a dive shop is competent to use tools, But the reality is, generally speaking they aren't. The people that are, probably will not be working at a dive shop,

You are better off watching and or taking a course or two and learn basic regulator/ hose replacement and repair

But everyone assumes a dive shop is competent to use tools, But the reality is, generally speaking they aren't. The people that are, probably will not be working at a dive shop,

You are better off watching and or taking a course or two and learn basic regulator/ hose replacement and repair

This is a gross exaggeration and not real.

The people that are, probably will not be working at a dive shop,

So a dive shop technician is incompetent no matter what but a diver can just take a course or two and watch a video and magically he will become an expert in regulator service?

People forget to tighten things even mechanics.

But everyone assumes a dive shop is competent to use tools, But the reality is,generally speaking they aren't. The people that are, probably will not be working at a dive shop,

I did say generally,

Is the west we have a shortage of skilled trades people. People are encouraged to do software, push a mouse, sit at a desk, etc.
That does not help,
hands on is discouraged from when they are kids,

Some dive shop employee that's making minimum wage is probably not giving 100%, even if they do know what they are doing,
Then he gets interrupted to deal with a customer, and bingo the spg didn't get tightened.

A person that wants to learn, and is asking intelligent question (why did my spg fall off and how and lots of extra details) will be much better, because they want to learn, and have an incentive to stay alive, and they will take pride in their work.

Will they make mistakes? Sure,
but I guaranty in this case, everything will be tightened.

It's a good thing that most regulators are relatively simple to work on,

And even if the spg comes off you can survive

Thank you all for the replies. Sounds like the main culprit was improper torquing by Piranha Dive Manufacturing further exacerbated by me locating the boltsnap on the swivel. It's likely that the gauge had loosened and only had a couple threads holding it together before the dive.

Lessons Learned:
1) Even reputable dive shops can make mistakes -- don't assume because it came from the "factory" that all is well
2) Don't place bolt snaps on moving parts
3) Inspect equipment before each dive, including hose connections
Certainly don't trust anything direct from the factory. You need to test all connections to ensure that they are secure. Safe diving in the future.

Yeah, I might be in minority here, but I couldn't fathom taking two connected items out of a box and dive them without first inspecting, applying some lubricant to the o-rings, and then reassembling. I don't use a torque wrench or anything, but both sides of each hose get turned to finger tight, then I use two opposing wrenches to get them just up to the "those aren't coming apart accidently" level of thread engagement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom