Used Steel 72 or New AL 80 - Which would you get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make sure the 72's are galvanized and also standard 3/4 valves. Then by 2 with matching first hydro's if you can. Or at least matching tank sizes. Easier to double matching cylinders and not all 72's have the same shape. Try to get exact same height, neck to bottom and neck shape.

Are the AL80's Luxfer or Catalina? If Luxfer it's questionable. If Catalina, No question on getting the steels instead. Luxfers have a good swing weight for Stages. If you are going to do deep and deco.

I own around 60 tanks, and now am using a rebreather unless it's for recovery. My friends like me.:D They borrow all the time. In fact a friend just hydro'd and painted a set of 121 fabers so he could use them for nitrox. Didn't have to but wanted to. I told him to hold onto them. Easier for him to get fills at his shop. If I need em back he'll get any fill I want anyway. But, I was only going to use them for singles or Banking gas for the little 3l for the meg. Same guy is diving my CCR VR3. I didn't like it. Other friend has 3 of my AL80's.

Oh, reason for different tanks was for different dives. I used to use 2 sets of dual 108 faber steels for Great lakes. Or 2 sets of dual 95's. Single HP 100's for motoring around. AL 80's for stages. 72's for light duals with a 3mm wetsuit. So, since I do more motoring around I have 7 HP100's. 4 hp80 for my exgf. 10 13cf for 2 rebreathers and 6 steel fabers for rebreather.

So, you can never have to many. Buy them all... LOL For Great lakes diving I would look at something else if you could swing it though. Heavy steel pigs. Drysuits need lots of weight and neither the 72's or the 80's will do that.

SIXTY tanks? Oh, please don't let dsteding see that post . . .

60 tanks:11:

I've got an idea. Why don't you give me 2 or your HP 100s. After all what can you do with 60 tanks that you can't do with 58:eyebrow:

David

PS - Thanks everyone for the input

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom