Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Collin O'Brien

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking to buy two Steel HP100 tanks but I am torn between going new or used. If I go new, I would go Faber so I think this is around $650-700. Do I have to then pay hydro and service on top of this price or are they good to go when I get new tanks?

If I go used, I can probably find them for $150-$200 each for ones in good condition (so $300-$400 total) based off what I see on FB marketplace. I was just wondering how much more in service fees will I have to pay to make sure these tanks are safe to dive. Would paying for hydro and service plus any other fees I am not aware of yet make buying used tanks more expensive or the same as new?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Collin

if you buy new, they will be in hydro, and if you buy them from a local dive shop then they should have VIP included and often filled. If you are using them in the salty stuff then get the hot dipped galvanized versions. They're more expensive but much better than the painted ones for salt.
F7-HP100 is $364 from Dive Gear Express with a nitrox ready valve, that is if you can find them, they are out of stock everywhere.

A used one should be around $200-$250 which will usually come in hydro though may not be a fresh hydro so you'll have to send that off anywhere from 1-4 years from now. It will likely need vip which is $20 or so and usually includes a fill. IF the tank is out of hydro and you have a needlessly expensive shop, AND you pay top dollar for it, then it's possible you'll get close. $250 for the bottle plus about $100 for hydro/vip/valve service/fill, then you'll get close enough to just buy new, but out of hydro bottles should be around $150 and ready to go bottles should be around $250.

As a new diver, it is easier to buy new, as they are ready to go. One can get burnt buying used tanks without the expertise to know what tank you are buying and be able to assess the condition of the tank.

As I tell every new diver, let everyone know you are a diver as some relative or friend may have some old gear lying around that they wouldn't sell but would give to someone they know. Some will be junk, but some not, which is why I have a lot of tanks, as well as other gear. An old steel 72 isn't much but is great for local ponds or shallow dives, and they rarely fail hydro if they look good inside.

Learned to dive in '62 in Berkley Ma.

A customer brought in a used faber hp100 that he bought in a pawn shop. Another “inherited” a set of worthington hp100s. All three were full of rust. Take off the valve and inspect used tanks prior to purchase.

if you buy new, they will be in hydro, and if you buy them from a local dive shop then they should have VIP included and often filled. If you are using them in the salty stuff then get the hot dipped galvanized versions. They're more expensive but much better than the painted ones for salt.
F7-HP100 is $364 from Dive Gear Express with a nitrox ready valve, that is if you can find them, they are out of stock everywhere.

A used one should be around $200-$250 which will usually come in hydro though may not be a fresh hydro so you'll have to send that off anywhere from 1-4 years from now. It will likely need vip which is $20 or so and usually includes a fill. IF the tank is out of hydro and you have a needlessly expensive shop, AND you pay top dollar for it, then it's possible you'll get close. $250 for the bottle plus about $100 for hydro/vip/valve service/fill, then you'll get close enough to just buy new, but out of hydro bottles should be around $150 and ready to go bottles should be around $250.
Great information here. Thank you! I have two "brand new never used" Faber XS S100 tanks for sale near me and they want $700. Hydro tested last year. Sounds good but buying used makes me fairly nervous. Do you know what the difference between Faber XS and Faber FX is as well?

I’ve seen used HP100 going for stupid prices as new ones are out of stock. Guess it depends on how desperate the buyer is.

Or, how pristine the tanks are. I have a few HP 80s (PST) and HP 100s (PST) that are showroom new looking, inside and out. Some need hydro and others have fresh hydros. I would ask stupid high prices for them. They are too good to give away.

As a new diver, it is easier to buy new, as they are ready to go.

Bob knows his stuff. He is also very common sense oriented. He has seen it all before. A new AL80 is hard to beat. A new AL100 is much more expensive and somewhat available. For your first tank, a new AL tank is probably the best choice.

cheers,
m

Great information here. Thank you! I have two "brand new never used" Faber XS S100 tanks for sale near me and they want $700. Hydro tested last year. Sounds good but buying used makes me fairly nervous. Do you know what the difference between Faber XS and Faber FX is as well?

Sounds like a good deal. Make sure you pop the cork and look inside for rust. Don't worry about a new VIP because the valve has been removed. Just pay the money. Rust can occur quickly if salt water gets inside a steel tank. Fresh hydro or VIP, it does not matter. Blow the gas and pop the cork. Make the sale contingent on a rust free interior.

good luck,
m

As a new diver, it is easier to buy new, as they are ready to go. One can get burnt buying used tanks without the expertise to know what tank you are buying and be able to assess the condition of the tank.

As I tell every new diver, let everyone know you are a diver as some relative or friend may have some old gear lying around that they wouldn't sell but would give to someone they know. Some will be junk, but some not, which is why I have a lot of tanks, as well as other gear. An old steel 72 isn't much but is great for local ponds or shallow dives, and they rarely fail hydro if they look good inside.

Learned to dive in '62 in Berkley Ma.
Thats awesome, very close to where I am now. Thank you for the advice!

I don't believe there is any difference in that series, I think the hot dip galvanized is called F7 or F8 but am not 100% sure. If you have pictures of the tanks then I can tell you which series.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom