Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

does anyone have a picture of what that looks like when mottled and worn?

Not that tank, but a couple of old galvanized steel 72's from the '70's. I would guess this is how they age since my other galvanized tanks look like this.

full.jpg

Oh, that's not bad at all. We're not walking the runway for the fish down there. Thank you Bob.

he beat me to it, but that's about what all of my old doubles look like. The fabers haven't really been out long enough to say they'll look like the PST's, but there is no reason they wouldn't.

For single tank diving, Aluminum is almost never a better option.

Although I agree with you, back in the day I was on a limited budget and diving was a long way from a fill, so I bought two 80's for the price of a 72, which was the only steel tank at the time, but the price difference remains. Since I was in cold water I had to carry more weight and more ballast, but I could make two dives a day instead of one. I was young and tough so I made it work. As time went on I picked up larger steel tanks which are better suited for the dives.

The point is that sometimes the best option depends on ones budget rather than what is best suited for the dive. And welcome to my life as a diver on a very restricted budget, but on the other hand I have been diving continuously for over 50 years.

I know a guy who used to fill AL80's to 3800 psi at the local self-service dive shop fill station. He would use them for a year or so and then sell them because he suspected he had damaged the tanks. He was a real a$$hole for doing that and for a variety of other reasons.

I would be very careful when buying used tanks, especially aluminum tanks that have been in circulation in cave country and especially at any self-service fill station.

I know a guy who used to fill AL80's to 3800 psi at the local self-service dive shop fill station. He would use them for a year or so and then sell them because he suspected he had damaged the tanks. He was a real a$$hole for doing that and for a variety of other reasons.

I would be very careful when buying used tanks, especially aluminum tanks that have been in circulation in cave country and especially at any self-service fill station.
That’s crazy 🤯

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom