Unrest? Really?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But as of today there is a curfew in Sharm-el-Sheikh, Taba and Dahab between 7 pm and 6 am. While I was in Hurghada in April, the next trip is not going to Egypt even though it still seems safe in that area. Anyway our (Dutch) government advised today to not go to Egypt, except for the Hurghada area and then especially the holiday resorts.
But is it wise to go to a country which seems to be on a the verge of a civil war?

I can confirm that a curfew is in place in the south sinai governate, INCLUDING the resort areas an sharm is closed for the night. The curfew is planned for one month. This may or may not trigger travel warnings, triggering cancelled flights. I would NOT like to be caught out after curfew I think..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Someone in Sharm (who I spoke with by phone) contacted the authorities and was told, that inside Sharm (e.g. going to a restaurant for dinner) the curfew would not be enforced.
Travelling to Taba (approx. 200 km) at night through half of Sinai is surely not allowed right now.
That´s the information I have at this time. Should this prove to be a false information from some (maybe lower level) official, this would indeed be a problem for tourists in the resort towns, because being trapped inside your hotel is somewhat dull in the evenings. The authorities should consider the impact on (what´s left of) tourism when making such decisions.
Though I am personally convinced that going out for dinner to a restaurant or visiting a bar/disco in Sharm or Dahab does not come with a higher risk than before, this could deter potential tourists even more.

I have just now asked someone here in Dahab to contact the police for reliable information reg. this subject. I should be called back some time tomorrow morning and will post the official answer fom the police.

I have several reports of people not being able to go out in sharm and apparently they cant get mcdonalds delivered to their hotel, lol...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Just to remind people that bomb attacks have been carried out in touristic areas in recent years- Sharm, Dahab etc. One way to seriously destabilise a country is via the pocket. The Red Sea is potentially the only tourism avenue left to the ruling class right now.

A few bombs set off to drive the last tourists away is not only realistic IMO, but probable. It sounds crazy... and they probably are.

Last edited:
Just to remind people that bomb attacks have been carried out in touristic areas in recent years- Sharm, Dahab etc. One way to seriously destabilise a country is via the pocket. The Red Sea is potentially the only tourism avenue left to the ruling class right now.

A few bombs set off to drive the last tourists away is not only realistic IMO, but probable. It sounds crazy... and they probably are.

Agree 100%. Any day now.

UPDATE:

one of our staff just spoke with the top police guy here in Dahab. He said that INSIDE Dahab there are no restrictions for tourists to go out for dinner after 1900 hours. Driving to Sharm or Nuweiba after this time is not possible right now. That´s the official word from our local police...

Same with Norway, they changed the travel advisory yesterday too..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom