Unrest? Really?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DenaGirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm scheduled to fly into Cairo on July 9 and Marsa Alam on July 10. I'm traveling alone. Should I cancel my trip? How bad is the unrest? Will flights be interrupted? I have been traveling the last month and woke up to emails from my family asking me to cancel my Egypt trip. I don't trust western media so I'm asking divers who are currently at egypt/Marsa Alam how bad is it? Should I work on rerouting my trip and cancel my liveaboard?

Thank you for your advice. I'm sorry the political unrest is scaring divers away.

Single woman travelling alone, I would say no - just my opinion

I would suggest you look at the US Dept of State travel advice, should be on their website

The Australian equivalent is here if you want an outside reference: Egypt | Travel advice | Smartraveller: The Australian Government's travel advisory and consular assistance service

The overall level is 'reconsider yoru need to travel'. I have travelled to countries with that rating before (for work) and not had any problems but as always YMMV. Good luck, hope it works out for you. I think the advice from Solly was good. I would try to re-route and avoid Cairo if possible/you decide to still go

I would weight it considerably. This is just me, but after looking seems there have been 91 cases of reported sexual attack on women in the last 3 days. Could you be fortunate and not have it happen, of course, Even though your heading away from the trouble this does have potential to blow into something nasty. The Muslim Brotherhood (which can be viewed as an extremist organization) is being deposed of by the Military (from all reports a very moderate/modern group) and since it has its founding in Egypt could have supporters/fighters in every major area.

If it was me I would cancel on just the fact the country is a powder keg and can potentially blow up into a situation like Syria rather easily.

here is a word from inside, all the cases were in the vicinity of tahrir square due to mass thug attack and isolating females and harassing them.
MB are not extremist group.
Still the fighting is a probability due to people support who they see as the legitimate president (Despite his problems) and those supporting the coup (even if a soft coup with a civil touch)...

This was coming for a while. I would stay away for now

If it were my daughter I'd lock her in her room before letting her get on a plane to the area now. You have no idea what't going to happen and I heard on the news that the state dept is telling people to get out. So going would seem to be counter to that advice.

If it were my daughter I'd lock her in her room before letting her get on a plane to the area now. You have no idea what't going to happen and I heard on the news that the state dept is telling people to get out. So going would seem to be counter to that advice.

Sounds like she's an adult and can do what she wants. Anyhoo, here;s the actual DOS advice: Egypt Travel Warning

I wouldn't feel safe doing an overnight in a Cairo hotel right now. If I were just transiting through the airport, which likely has a large military presence, I would be less concerned. Even back when Mubarak ruled with an iron fist, Cairo could be a bit dodgy. Once, while I was locking the hotel room door on our way out, my wife who had gone ahead of me was flashed by some guy in the stairwell, which is the kind of thing that is not unheard of. Back then, if the hotel staff had caught the guy they would have beaten him up. Today, who knows.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom