Unrest? Really?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To OP

Cairo airport is far from where all the demonstrations are, so I personally would not be too worried about transiting the airport, probably safer than walking the streets of LA after dark.

The US embassy is very close to Tahrir Square, I can understand their concern, there is usually a heavy police presence around there anyway next to my favourite Cairo hotel (Intercontinental Semi Ramis), but I now usually stay at the City Stars closer to the airport.

Next week is the start of the Holy month of Ramadan with all moslems fasting during the hours of daylight, generally a time of peace and giving and helping others less fortunate and usually fine in the Middle East, just don't go around openly eating and drinking in front of fasting moslems, some may take this as an insult. In Saudi all restaurants are closed during daylight and most of the restaurants in UAE and other Gulf states also follow this rule, not sure about Egypt, but as they cater more for tourists there should be eating places open.

Next week is the start of the Holy month of Ramadan with all moslems fasting during the hours of daylight, generally a time of peace...

Agree with most of your other comments, but not so sure about this one... In my time in Saudi Arabia at least, Ramadan is a time of late night 'parties' and the vehicle accident rate goes through the roof as a lot of people are driving around tired and underfed (during the day)

Thank you for your replies. I was on a safari all week with no access to media or wifi so I was surprise to get the messages from my family. I'm going to postpone my diving trip for now.

Agree with most of your other comments, but not so sure about this one... In my time in Saudi Arabia at least, Ramadan is a time of late night 'parties' and the vehicle accident rate goes through the roof as a lot of people are driving around tired and underfed (during the day)

For sure hypoglycaemic drivers play a major part in traffic accidents, however we used to have access to some normally inaccessible dive sites as the Coast Guard were generally sleeping during the day.

Best to stay off the road immediately prior to Iftar when they locals are all driving around to get food to break their fast.

To OP

Cairo airport is far from where all the demonstrations are, so I personally would not be too worried about transiting the airport, probably safer than walking the streets of LA after dark.

The US embassy is very close to Tahrir Square, I can understand their concern, there is usually a heavy police presence around there anyway next to my favourite Cairo hotel (Intercontinental Semi Ramis), but I now usually stay at the City Stars closer to the airport.

Next week is the start of the Holy month of Ramadan with all moslems fasting during the hours of daylight, generally a time of peace and giving and helping others less fortunate and usually fine in the Middle East, just don't go around openly eating and drinking in front of fasting moslems, some may take this as an insult. In Saudi all restaurants are closed during daylight and most of the restaurants in UAE and other Gulf states also follow this rule, not sure about Egypt, but as they cater more for tourists there should be eating places open.

I think you've got no idea how volatile the situation in Egypt is right now- especially in Sinai, which may well be on its way to a very dangerous state of anarchy. Sure, nobody feels in Sharm what's going on the north of Sinai, but whatever happens there may immediately reflect on the south.

It is simply not the time to plan a vacation there, whatever you think whether it is safe near the airport or near your favorite hotel... And it is not about tourists eating during the Ramadan and insulting locals or not or hypoglycemic drivers. It's something far far far away from that. It is about a military coup, on the verge of civil war between two halves of the population, and groups of the most extremist Islamic terrorist cells who may take advantage of what's going on mainland Egypt to stir things and ignite fire in Sinai.

I pray hope it does not turn to violence, but it's not worth the risk going the just now.

Sent from my GT-I9000

I think you've got no idea how volatile the situation in Egypt is right now- especially in Sinai, which may well be on its way to a very dangerous state of anarchy. Sure, nobody feels in Sharm what's going on the north of Sinai, but whatever happens there may immediately reflect on the south.

It is simply not the time to plan a vacation there, whatever you think whether it is safe near the airport or near your favorite hotel... And it is not about tourists eating during the Ramadan and insulting locals or not or hypoglycemic drivers. It's something far far far away from that. It is about a military coup, on the verge of civil war between two halves of the population, and groups of the most extremist Islamic terrorist cells who may take advantage of what's going on mainland Egypt to stir things and ignite fire in Sinai.

I pray hope it does not turn to violence, but it's not worth the risk going the just now.

Sent from my GT-I9000

I think you are mixing up two of my previous posts, the second one has nothing to do with Egypt.

I have a very good idea of what is going on there, not in Sinai, but in Cairo and Alexandria where I have a lot of medical related business.

I think you are mixing up two of my previous posts, the second one has nothing to do with Egypt.

I have a very good idea of what is going on there, not in Sinai, but in Cairo and Alexandria where I have a lot of medical related business.

So allow me to fill the gaps with what's going on Sinai-

Yesterday, four police stations were attacked in northern Sinai, five Egyptian policemen dead. Rockets were fired at Rafah police station, the airport at El Arish was attacked, as well as three police checkpoints nearby.

Then, a couple of Russian Grad missiles were launched from Sinai towards Eilat, and for dessert- a Coptic priest was murdered today in northern Sinai.

Yes, southern Sinai looks peaceful, but underneath the pressure is building up.

Don't think it's a good time to be there right now, and don't let the distances fool you- there are not many roads in/out of the Sinai peninsula, if or when the **** hits the fan...

Sent from my GT-I9000

Yesterday, four police stations were attacked in northern Sinai, five Egyptian policemen dead. Rockets were fired at Rafah police station, the airport at El Arish was attacked, as well as three police checkpoints nearby.

Then, a couple of Russian Grad missiles were launched from Sinai towards Eilat, and for dessert- a Coptic priest was murdered today in northern Sinai.

Normal for that neck of the woods ... well maybe not the coptic priest ... seriously though that is never good.

Don't think it's a good time to be there right now, and don't let the distances fool you- there are not many roads in/out of the Sinai peninsula, if or when the **** hits the fan...

Hijack a boat and dive off Saudi :rofl3:

Seriously though the media exaggerate everything, sure there is danger in certain places I have been in the region since 1986, it's a matter of knowing where not to go or to be. Been a while since I dived Sharm and it was so trashed in 2005 I had no plans of returning, but a liveaboard is a different story

Thank you for your replies. I was on a safari all week with no access to media or wifi so I was surprise to get the messages from my family. I'm going to postpone my diving trip for now.
I believe you made a good decision.

It is sad when politics affect diving areas. I'm sure the dive sites will be much less crowded, it could be the best time to dive the red sea. I guess if there is an upside, it will give the reef a rest and a chance to regenerate.

The situation in Egypt is certainly critical because too much is in stake for both parties involved. I have many friends in Egypt and I am quite worried for what goes on out there ...
Yet, this is a divers site/community, so, from a diver’s perspective and from my own experience living and working in Cairo in 2011, when the revolution against Mubarak took place, it is worth informing those who will decide to visit South Sinai that the sensation of diving the Thistlegorm or the Blue Hole literally ALONE is unique !

Back
Top Bottom