Unrest? Really?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And so has the Dutch goverment. It makes me wonder, in my opinion not much difference between yesterday and today. Yesterday they were interviewing people at the airport who were flying to Hurghada and they went because the insurance wouldn't reimburse them because the goverment said it would be safe. Twelve hours later they change their advice. Same in some other European countries, are these goverments really run by retards?

Yep. No question. Every government is run by idiots. Why do you think they are even in government? It's because they can't get real jobs. No way in hell would I go to the region now. And if someone does and gets hurt or killed well maybe Darwin wins again.

And so has the Dutch goverment. It makes me wonder, in my opinion not much difference between yesterday and today. Yesterday they were interviewing people at the airport who were flying to Hurghada and they went because the insurance wouldn't reimburse them because the goverment said it would be safe. Twelve hours later they change their advice. Same in some other European countries, are these goverments really run by retards?
OR they have information you dont - like that there was demonstrations within the tourist areas shortly before the advice changed?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A new thread has been split off from this thread in order to engage in a discussion of the larger political issues surrounding the the current political crisis in Egypt. The new thread resides in the Pub. The remainder of the present thread is meant to house responses in relation to travel-related topics in respect to Egypt's tourist destinations.

While it is difficult to cleanly separate political discussion from travel concerns, the posts moved were deemed to be mainly political in nature. Some posts were split themselves, with parts in both threads. The new thread can be found here:
Perspectives on Egypt 2013

Please confine all discussions of politics to the thread in the Pub. Political commentary will be removed without notice from the present thread. Note that the Pub is an opt-in segment of ScubaBoard which you may access through your User CP by selecting "Regulars" from the Permissions Groups listing.

Last edited:
Hi DenaGirl,
I live and work in Hurghada and apart from the odd PEACEFUL demonstration during the quest to get Morsi out of office we have had no trouble here. At the moment the UK Home Office is advising tourists to stay in their resorts, not to get involved in any large gatherings/demonstrations and to be sensible about your own personal safety. A lot of the news agencies are reporting only on the troubles in Cairo and Alex, which I think is very misleading. Of course, you need to pay attention when travelling anywhere other than your home country (sometimes there too, unfortunately) but as a single woman, living alone in Hurghada I still feel safe to go about my daily business. I still go out after dark to eat with friends or have a beer or two at the local bar but don't walk the streets alone, I have never done this. Egypt needs the tourists to keep coming to the Red Sea resorts which are a long way from any of the problems recently shown on the news. The diving is still fabulous, the reefs are not crowded and the resorts quiet (unfortunately). I understand completely your concerns about travelling to Egypt alone but please don't give up on us completely, we're all here waiting to dive with you and I certainly have no plans to leave my resident country of choice.

oh dear I am about to book sharm and it looks like the plug will be pulled

It is probably the best time for diving in the Red Sea since the Gulf War, if you are willing to take the risks!

Unless, of course, you are able to dive on the Saudi side.

As of today Ireland is withdrawing all tourists from the Red Sea. Both Thomas Cook and Falcon are sending out an empty charter flight on Wednesday to bring people who are currently out there whether they want to come back or not. It would appear also that if I was to travel via the UK under my current insurance policy that I would not be covered in an event due to the Irish Gov issuing an order not to travel. What a shame.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I published a warning NOT to engage in political debate in this forum, and I opened a new thread in the Pub where you may debate to your heart's content. But several members have chosen to ignore this warning. Bans have been imposed.

Back
Top Bottom