United baggage rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can someone demystify for me the United baggage rules concerning dive equipment? I get the part about not having anything except dive equipment in the bag, but what if I don't? Can it be heavier than 50 lbs and not incur extra weight fees? Also, their policy pages call it a "dive bag". I transport my gear in a rolling igloo cooler; can I call that a "dive bag"?

13 days and counting!

If you only have dive gear in a suit case/bag it can be over 50 lbs according to a page my wife found on United's website. I had my lights in my carry on with batteries on the way down and in my check on luggage without batteries on the way home out of Cozumel. I left the rechargeable batteries in the camera and GoPro and they left them alone. I don't know about the Igloo cooler. We went down with one bag each that fit the UNited rules for Height, width and depth which included our dive gear and clothes which came in just under 50 lbs by like .5 pounds. We put our computers and reg's in our carrying on with a couple changes of clothes in case our bags did not show up in Cozumel.

If you only have dive gear in a suit case/bag it can be over 50 lbs according to a page my wife found on United's website.
Thanks. Can you shoot me a link to that page so that I can print it and have it with me?

Just so you know, airlines may consider scuba gear as sports equipment and give you NOTHING if it is lost or stolen.

Take anything expensive in your carry-on.

Go to Traveling with Sports Equipment | United Airlines, scroll down to "Scuba equipment":

"United accepts one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport as checked baggage. Scuba equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the current excess baggage charge for a single piece, whether or not it is presented as a single piece.

Dive bags weighing more than 50 pounds (23 kg) that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate dive equipment will be subject to the applicable overweight checked baggage service charge.

Dive bags measuring greater than 62 linear inches (158 cm) that contain other items in addition to or in place of dive equipment will be subject to the applicable oversize charge.

First or second checked bag service charges may apply.

An empty dive tank or up to three rebreather tanks will not be included in determining the baggage allowance and will be subject to a service charge of $150 USD/CAD (each way) for travel between the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. A service charge of $200 USD/CAD (each way) applies for all other travel. The empty dive/rebreather tank must have the regulator valve completely disconnected from the tank. The tank must not be sealed (i.e., the tank has an open end). The tank must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection by a TSA Security Screener.

Note for rebreather equipment:
Soda lime that is 4% Sodium Hydroxide or less will be accepted in checked baggage. Soda lime that is 4.1% Sodium Hydroxide or more will not be accepted in checked baggage.

An item of scuba equipment consists of one empty scuba tank, up to three rebreather tanks, or one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport. The empty scuba/rebreather tank and a separate dive bag containing scuba equipment will be charged as two separate pieces.

United is not liable for damage to scuba diving equipment.

Excess Valuation may not be purchased for scuba diving equipment."

That's it, and it certainly contains ambiguities and does not answer your questions. For all I know, the ambiguities (such as what constitutes a "dive bag") might be intentional. Keep in mind that just because it's a policy doesn't mean that agents will aware of it or believe you if you tell them. Like Ron Lee, I'd be concerned about having a bag explicitly identified as containing expensive dive gear for which I can't get insurance from the airline.

Go to Traveling with Sports Equipment | United Airlines, scroll down to "Scuba equipment":
"United accepts one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport as checked baggage. Scuba equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the current excess baggage charge for a single piece, whether or not it is presented as a single piece.

Dive bags weighing more than 50 pounds (23 kg) that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate dive equipment will be subject to the applicable overweight checked baggage service charge."

I found that statement yesterday, but what does it mean? It does NOT say that a checked "dive bag" can weigh more than 50 lbs. and not be charged for being overweight.

I think United writes their luggage policy so vaguely thus allowing them to change the rules when ever it suits them and charge what ever they want.

Heck we see them fly right past our island leaving scheduled passengers scrambling to reschedule their Hawaiian connecting flights.

Friendly Skies my a$$... Sorry just venting.

I think United writes their luggage policy so vaguely thus allowing them to change the rules when ever it suits them and charge what ever they want.

Heck we see them fly right past our island leaving scheduled passengers scrambling to reschedule their Hawaiian connecting flights.

Friendly Skies my a$$... Sorry just venting.

I miss Continental.

Just dont tell them it is dive gear. :) I pack all my gear in a plain suitcase (lightest possible) now and keep it under 50 lbs. No problemos!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom