United baggage rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. Maybe United isn't so bad after all!

You will need to demonstratethat it only contains dive equipment, and that it closes securely.Normal checked bag fees apply.

Soooo if its only dive gear. I guess it depends on the person at united as to how strict they will be. I leave my gear in cozumel at my freinds house and dont have to worry about it anymore, but when i did bring gear there was always alot more stuff in my bag than dive gear. So if you stuck a couple t shirts or a pair of shorts in your dive bag they could say its not only dive gear- pay the fee.​

Here is the email exchange I had with the CEO of United and his representative concerning checked dive equipment. I must say that I was impressed by how quickly I got the response; I did not really expect him to react at all.

View attachment 207975
I hope it works well for you. I downloaded it, will print & carry it, but I'm usually well under 50# each on 2 bags - and I couldn't make it with 1 - 99# bag for a week. It may help if I want to carry more batteries, etc. tho.

Wow. Maybe United isn't so bad after all!
It's an old Continental rule that made it thru the merger. I still miss Continental. :sad:

I don't know how many times we flew to Cancun with Continental and carefully packed our dive gear to just below 50#. Kind of makes me sick to think about it/

Back when I enjoyed Elite status with Continental and could check 2 - 70# bags for free, I arrived in Cancun with one bag over 70 and had to move my pony to the other bag. That was reasonable tho. 70# is a prudent limit for a bag I think. When I was a teenager, I'd carry 2 - 100# bags of feed at a time to save trips, and in the Marines I had to carry a guy over 200# along with my own pack & rifle, but day to day for adults - 100# is a bit much.

50# limits are just a money incentive.

in the Marines I had to carry a guy over 200# along with my own pack & rifle

I always knew marines were tough, but that sounds a bit unfair even for a marine. Did you at least get to set him down during chow time?

I always knew marines were tough, but that sounds a bit unfair even for a marine. Did you at least get to set him down during chow time?
As a brief rescue exercise. Maybe 50 yards.

I wonder what those Seabags weigh going overseas? I'm glad the airlines give them a break.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom