Two fatalities in Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
guess I was typing when you were answering. Thats helpful information too. Thanks Don.
I think we posted on two threads that were merged.
Ok. Well thank you for tell me because I was in understanding that the Monterey Herald news stated that the gear was cut off in order to bring the boys to the top and then later, the CG was unable to locate the gear that was left at the bottom. I understood the cutting the gear to get the boys up, and I even understood that the gear could be hard to locate. But I couldn't figure out why it was tied together. I was wondering if diving while tied together was some kind of stick really close to your buddy technique. But if it was tied together at the boat and then thrown over, it makes sense. Thanks. I was really confused about it all. Apparently, I didn't see all those posts you are referring to.
This thread is very long with a lot of confusion so it would have been difficult to find and evaluate the posts that lead us to that realization I suppose.
Depending on the gear, removing gear at depth could lead to a rapid, buoyant ascent ... which means the rescuers would basically cut them loose and let them go. I seriously doubt that's how it happened. There is no need to remove their rigs. If you needed to get them up in a hurry, removal or all or part of their weight would suffice. That allows the rescue (recovery) team to swim the diver to the surface.
You may have forgotten, but early in this thread - expert Ken suggested just that. Its was not long after he admonished me for a "generally, normally" true statement, probly having more to do with the way I talk, when I asked about the kids being brought up without their gear - which was suggested back then, and he raked me again for that question, saying it happens all the time - even tho not the case this time.

Some time later someone did mention that they'd heard that the kits were thrown overboard to make room on the rescue boat and that guy was called a rumormonger by someone else, then later on the divers who found the gear explained how it was tied together with yellow rope - all this discussion happening along with side issue posting about training standards (wasn't that your part?), etc. It was difficult to follow for us actively pursuing and I'm surprised I remember it that well, I think.

Ok. Well thank you for tell me because I was in understanding that the Monterey Herald news stated that the gear was cut off in order to bring the boys to the top and then later, the CG was unable to locate the gear that was left at the bottom. I understood the cutting the gear to get the boys up, and I even understood that the gear could be hard to locate. But I couldn't figure out why it was tied together. I was wondering if diving while tied together was some kind of stick really close to your buddy technique. But if it was tied together at the boat and then thrown over, it makes sense. Thanks. I was really confused about it all. Apparently, I didn't see all those posts you are referring to.

I suspect the gear was tied together with the yellow rope during the recovery of the bodies in order to try to make it easier to recover the gear later (one bigger thing to find, rather than two smaller things).

And someone reading this might argue the wisdom of this, but prioritizing human beings over gear is the correct order of priorities in a rescue, and if they felt like the gear was getting in the way of the recovery efforts then they made the right choice. They also made some attempt to make it easier to recover the gear. And these decisions were made largely correctly with the massively reduced mental capacity that everyone has when dealing with this kind of situation.

Just trying to head off any Monday morning quarterbacking...

You may have forgotten, but early in this thread - expert Ken suggested just that. Its was not long after he admonished me for a "generally, normally" true statement, probly having more to do with the way I talk, when I asked about the kids being brought up without their gear - which was suggested back then, and he raked me again for that question, saying it happens all the time - even tho not the case this time.
I haven't forgotten ... but with the exception of post 43, that entire discussion revolved around conscious OOA divers performing a self-rescue ... which is very different than a rescue/recovery team bringing a diver up from depth. You'll also remember that I disagreed with this comment at the time, and still do. A cold-water diver's exposure protection is typically going to make them 20+ lbs positive (depending on size and thickness, it could be much more than that), which if you are bringing them up ... as opposed to just releasing the body to float up on its own ... is going to become increasingly difficult to manage as you approach the surface.

First rule of rescue is don't put yourself in a situation to become another victim. Trying to manage a body that's 20+ lbs positive and becoming more so as you ascend is a great way to find yourself in an uncontrolled ascent.

I don't think it happens all the time ... I think it was established somewhere around post 112 that this is a practice that was taught decades ago, and has since fallen out of favor as equipment evolution made the practice less desireable than other available alternatives. Generally accepted practice today is to swim the diver up ... only ditching weights as needed to make a controlled ascent. Then, once on the surface, release weights to make it impossible for the diver to submerge again. Generally speaking, you'll want to retain the equipment for analysis ... but the priority is getting assistance for the diver, and if the equipment's in the way you jettison it for later retrieval. That is what happened in this case.

Some time later someone did mention that they'd heard that the kits were thrown overboard to make room on the rescue boat and that guy was called a rumormonger by someone else, then later on the divers who found the gear explained how it was tied together with yellow rope -
It was posted in one of the later press releases that the CG folks removed the BCDs, tied them together, and jettisoned them ... intending to come back later and recover them.

all this discussion happening along with side issue posting about training standards (wasn't that your part?), etc.
No Don ... my part was to point out to people who insisted that they somehow KNEW what caused this accident. Those causes ranged from insufficient training to a lack of responsible supervision to a failure of the buddy system. My "part" was pointing out that there wasn't sufficient information to make any of those assumptions.

It was difficult to follow for us actively pursuing and I'm surprised I remember it that well, I think.

It was difficult to follow because, in the absense of any factual information, the usual suspects were busily filling in the blanks with whatever speculation happened to fit their pet agenda.

People need to remember that family members almost always read these threads ... out of a very human need to find reasons for what happened. They are usually not divers, and will cling to whatever rationalization they read without adequate knowledge to sort through the agendas of the people doing the speculating.

There's nothing wrong with speculating in cases like this ... if you make it clear that's what you're doing. Many people did ... including myself. The only ones that got objected to were the ones who insisted on making statements sound factual ... without having any evidence to back up their "facts". Such things make for interesting discussion at times ... I'm just of the opinion that smearing the reputation of an instructor or agency following the death of two people probably isn't an appropriate time.

Later information released by news sources, rescuers, and parents of the kids involved demonstrated that much of what was presented as "fact" wasn't factual ... but that didn't prevent people who had read it from repeating it as though it were. That's the downside of speculation in cases like this ... and the reason why we need to be careful about what we say in the absense of evidence. People tend to believe what they want to believe ... even when it turns out not to be correct.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I suspect the gear was tied together with the yellow rope during the recovery of the bodies in order to try to make it easier to recover the gear later (one bigger thing to find, rather than two smaller things).

And someone reading this might argue the wisdom of this, but prioritizing human beings over gear is the correct order of priorities in a rescue, and if they felt like the gear was getting in the way of the recovery efforts then they made the right choice. They also made some attempt to make it easier to recover the gear. And these decisions were made largely correctly with the massively reduced mental capacity that everyone has when dealing with this kind of situation.

Just trying to head off any Monday morning quarterbacking...

... as you are in a position to know ... there is a massive difference between analyzing what you would have done from the comfort of a keyboard vs having to make real-time, sometimes split-second decisions when you're trying to save someone's life ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just a thought about what might have been the mentality behind jettisoning the gear. You have two victims in a small boat. It takes people and room to perform CPR. Yes, there was a long down time, but we still try to save the victim until they are called by medical authorities. It takes room to lay the victim out flat, do compressions and rescue breathing. If the gear was in the way, it would be better on the victim to jettison it and perform better CPR.

I have done CPR hundreds of times in my career as a fireman. I have been in an ambulance, in a bedroom, in the back of a pickup, in a helicopter and on a mountain side along with many more places. I find that it takes room to maneuver and perform proper CPR.

$.02

I'm sure dumping the kits was a good call. The brand new member just was not aware and was mystified that the kits were found tied together.

This article was just posted on The Nevada Appeal website:

Diving gear not to blame in teens' deaths

The diving gear recovered a week after two Carson City teens died while scuba diving in the Monterey Bay was in good working condition and did not contribute to their deaths April 9, an examination revealed.

“The Monterey County Coroner's Office has concluded the investigation into the deaths... The equipment was laboratory tested, as well as being tested in ocean conditions that were similar to what the juveniles would have experienced... Failure of the juveniles' dive systems did not occur,” Monterey County Sheriff's Detective Kevin Gardepie said Monday. “With the completion of the investigation, the Coroner's Office has deemed the manner of Stephen Anderson and Keegan Aiazzi's death(s) to be accidental. The cause of death(s) will be listed as asphyxia, due to ocean drowning.”

Stephen Anderson, 16, and Keegan Aiazzi, 17, were diving near Cannery Row with a group of other students from their oceanography class at Carson High School when they failed to surface. After more than an hour of searching, rescuers located the boys on the ocean floor. Attempts to resuscitate them were unsuccessful.

Stephen Anderson, 16, and Keegan Aiazzi, 17, were diving near Cannery Row with a group of other students from their oceanography class at Carson High School when they failed to surface. After more than an hour of searching, rescuers located the boys on the ocean floor. Attempts to resuscitate them were unsuccessful.

How close was the nearest instructor/DM/chaperone during the dive?

How close was the nearest instructor/DM/chaperone during the dive?

Who knows? California diving is low vis diving. Unless you're taking a class, there will be no instructor/DM/chaperone watching you. Our dive boat DMs stay on board during dives, to assist divers on and off the boat and to act as a rescue swimmer if there's an issue at the surface.

During your dive, it's just you and your buddy.

Best anyone can tell, there was no failure of dive supervision here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read in one article (or in the comments about the article) where a mother from the group said there were 4 dive masters in the water as well as 2 parents which could mean 13 teens plus 6 others so if accurate, they did have quite a bit of supervision.

One positive observation I have come to from this accident is that the 2 boys did one thing right - they stayed as a buddy pair and presumably one tried to help the other but tragically they both died. How may accidents happen where the report is "one didn't surface" or "one became separated from the group". These boys, although young & probably inexperienced, stayed together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom