Two fatalities in Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? 51 views and not one reply? Are you even reading it? Or do you see the title and think, "oh yeah, I heard they found it" ? How can you read this and not reply?

I can tell you from Law Enforcement experience that finding the gear is only a small percentage of the puzzle. As mentioned previously there are so many what ifs that go into play that giving an accurate response with what little is available would be speculation.

It could be a number of things and I am going to go out on a limb here but I doubt that the way the gear was found would indicate a scuba accident simply because at the depth indicated I dont think they would take off their gear, tie it together neatly then bolt to the surface.

It could have been any number of circumstances such as were they in their gear when they surfaced and someone tried to rescue them and tied the rope to their gear to pull both divers? (Would not think so but hey strange things do happen) Also the location of the gear leaves question too since the coast guard reportedly searched with expert divers the entire area with no luck finding the gear.

It leaves alot of room for questions like what was the visibility the day of the dive? What exposure suit where they wearing in relation to the water temps and environment? How much air was in their tanks when found? Was their any wild life in the area when they teens were diving that may have caused a panicked situation? What is the medical history of the divers lost? Also what circumstance played into the fact the coast guard could not find the gear yet other divers could at quiet possibly a totaly diffrent area thent he incident occured? The article you posted did not mention if the teens were in their gear when pulled from the water or if they were found without the gear.

Dont get me wrong I am glad they found the gear because it will provide clues as to the last moments of the teens and when they were with their gear but to expect people to start speculating on 2 sets of gear found tied together would be a wild guess way off in left field.

Nope. It was explained in the other thread where you first posted that the boys were recovered with gear, but the rescue boat was too crowded, so they tied the gear together with rope and threw it overboard in the heat of the emergency. The divers who found it also posted on the thread personally. Nothing wrong at all there.

guess I was typing when you were answering. Thats helpful information too. Thanks Don.

Ok. Well thank you for tell me because I was in understanding that the Monterey Herald news stated that the gear was cut off in order to bring the boys to the top and then later, the CG was unable to locate the gear that was left at the bottom. I understood the cutting the gear to get the boys up, and I even understood that the gear could be hard to locate. But I couldn't figure out why it was tied together. I was wondering if diving while tied together was some kind of stick really close to your buddy technique. But if it was tied together at the boat and then thrown over, it makes sense. Thanks. I was really confused about it all. Apparently, I didn't see all those posts you are referring to.

That's the trouble with those threads, there's so much crap in them that the 'facts' get buried. Having said that, starting a new thread probably isn't the answer - especially when you already posted in the original thread

Here are the posts in question FYI:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5847920-post379.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5848543-post389.html

I suggest you ask the mods to close this thread or merge it with the other one

Agreed. I read the other thread but man with the tons of replies I have to dig through all the arguments and disagreements to try to get any kind of information.

Thank you. I doubt I will be around much as I am not a diver. My son is, however, so these things interest me. I will keep an eye out here regarding these teens, though. I came here because I figured you guys are the divers and could possibly help me to understand things. I had never heard of diving while tied together so I was quite taken back and confused. Wondered if they had such low vis that they connected themselves. I know to you that may sound silly, but like I said, I don't dive. Then throw in that the news seems to often get it wrong so I never know what to believe. Thanks again for your help.

To me you dont sound silly at all. Its just like say I was unaware there was another thread on the matter or Id of read it first. Its just like any activity on land. You cant say for certain why something happens it just does sometimes.

Like mentioned in the other thread there are a dozens ways to rescue someone from depth ranging from removing the gear at depth (I would not) all the way to people saying to remove their gear at depth for more effective surface techniques.

As someone who is curious you did the right thing by asking questions and I can assure you as a member of the law enforcement community that there will be more in depth investigations even beyond whats already known currently. Just dont get mad when there really is no answer available.

As far as starting a new thread like previous mentioned it does not really help to get more answers as it really does more to confuse people. Like my response I was unaware there was more information available on another thread.

Hope youll change your mind though and perhaps one day join the dive community

Depending on the gear, removing gear at depth could lead to a rapid, buoyant ascent ... which means the rescuers would basically cut them loose and let them go. I seriously doubt that's how it happened. There is no need to remove their rigs. If you needed to get them up in a hurry, removal or all or part of their weight would suffice. That allows the rescue (recovery) team to swim the diver to the surface.

New articles are usually written by people who don't dive, and who are under deadline pressure that precludes getting all the facts before publishing the article. Previous reports stated that the rescuers attempted to place these boys in the Coast Guard boat, realized there wasn't space for both the boys and their equipment, removed the gear and tied it together and then released it back into the water. That explanation is consistent with the evidence of the found gear.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom