twin 80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J-valves I truly believe are crap. Ever filled a tank using a J-valve? Make sure it's open, cause if it's not...

scuba56, you have to get some experience here. I know when I first started, I wanted to do it all. Right now. The fact is, I've never seen you in the water so I can't make an informed judgement but unless you are some kind of prodigy, you need to get a lot more dives under your belt before considering doubles. In another thread you said you were not certified yet. My point is, you are getting way ahead of yourself here...

Ok not really wanting to get into this but will but just briefly. Not taking sides but you are asking questions about outdated gear, and not using the gear properly. J valves were designed to be used before pressure gauges were common, they are not really used today and some shops won't VIP the tank with that type of valve. I generally won't fill or inspect a tank with a j valve.

Doubles are generally used with two first stages. They are designed to bring redundancy to the system in case one reg fails. If you are diving doubles and DPV's with 15 dives under your belt you are moving to fast, and your instructor might be doing you a disservice. Also if you think you are experienced at 15 dives you are wrong. Diving takes time and experience to handle, and you should ease into it. It isn't a race, so take your time and learn as you go. If you travel to far to fast you will get hurt. In a perfect world a new diver could do a 200 foot dive and come back happy. If one little thing goes wrong..with a wing, a reg, or something the newer diver may not have the experience and the cool head to handle it.

Also starting to sound a little mean? Are you suggesting something bad would happen to someone if they used a 10/30 mix at 45 meters? It honestly is a little hard to tell what you meant by this. 10/30 has a mininum operating depth of 20 feet and a maximum operating depth of 423 feet. So at 45 meters would be just fine for a diver trained in its use. I am not God or a grammer teacher but some of your posts have been a little hard to understand. it is ok though. Everyone is different and I don't think anyone here is trying to be anything but helpful.

Brent

first if you do some research you will learn that if you breath a 10/30 mix at 50 fsw you will black out because 10 stands for 10% oxygen witch at 50 fsw is a hypoxic mix

SparticleBrane:
J-valves I truly believe are crap

you know, that's what they said about Puff Daddy's first album...

oh... wait...

scubadiver56:
first if you do some research you will learn that if you breath a 10/30 mix at 50 fsw you will black out because 10 stands for 10% oxygen witch at 50 fsw is a hypoxic mix

he's talking meters, you're talking feet... also, re-check your math

strangers in the night.... da-da-da-dada strangers in the night ....

:wink:

scubadiver56:

You must have missed my math; it was edited by a mod. But I will say this---it's time YOU do some research. 10% oxygen at 50fsw is HYPERoxic (0.25ata), ie it's more oxygen than we breathe at the surface.

scubadiver56:
I have edited a post in this thread, so I should really stay out, but let me say this:

10/30 is 10% O2 at the surface. At 50fsw, you have a ppO2 of .25ata. This is more than enough to support life and you will not black out. In fact, it's more oxygen than you receive breathing air at the surface, which is only .21ata.

look i realy dont like to fight its just that u were nit picking over something as small as grammer

You are incorrect about this as long as you are deeper than 20 feet it is fine. Why are you as a new open water diver talking about this sort of thing though? And how does it work into this conversation other than you trying to sound mean?

scubadiver56:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom