twin 80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadiver56

Reaction score
im new to diving i have two tanks one steel lp71 with j-valve and a al80 with k valve i would like to buy another al80 and make twin 80s i only have one regulator can i still use both of the tanks twogether with one and where can i order a double tank valve

I have saw some really old manifolds with a single port in the centre for one reg..But I'm not sure if they make them like that anymore..I really wouldnt advise setting up doubles with one reg anyway. Your much better off buying another reg, an isolation manifold and a good set of bands. Putting together a set of doubles isnt something you can really do half assed...

Punctuation, PLEASE!
Seriously, if you don't take the time and effort to use correct grammar for a post, do you think we would advocate that you put together a doubles system? The carelessness from one thing goes right into another.

I would avoid using AL80's for a double set up. The become far to bouyant when empty and that just adds to you having to wear more weight. If you have to use one of the tanks you have use the LP72 as the steel tanks are always negative.

yo sparticle maybe if u spent less time correcting peoples grammer and writing online you would remove that stick up your *** and figure out your not god.

This must be Chris Crash... ya think?

scubadiver56:
yo sparticle maybe if u spent less time correcting peoples grammer and writing online you would remove that stick up your *** and figure out your not god.

Let's rephrase, shall we?
Actually first let's go back here. Basic punctuation and grammar is usually taught at an early age, I would hope. Then again, perhaps they should be added to that list. Along with a bit of humility, I might add.

Ok, back to rephrasing.
"Hey Sparticle, maybe if you spent less time correcting people's grammar and writing online you would remove that stick up your *** and figure out you're not God."

Now that we've got that out of the way, I have a few of my own humble opinions.
First, according to your other posts about rebreathers and DPVs, you're currently STILL in your open water training. I personally believe that you have no business:

1: diving doubles
2: diving rebreathers
3: diving with DPVs

...until you get some serious experience. They're all wonderful ways to kill yourself unless you really know what's going on. Since you're still getting your open water cert, it's safe to say that you don't know jack. That isn't an insult at all--it's just simple fact. You currently have 0 experience, which is the best, albeit most severe teacher. If you wish to know how they can kill you:
Doubles: Ask anyone who has ever had their isolator closed and then had a "fill". Now they only have half the gas supply. In a cave this can be the difference between life or death.
Rebreathers: Too many ways to die that I can't list them all. :wink:
DPVs: They can get out of control FAST, and possibly bring you down faster than you can equalize or perhaps below the MOD of the gas you're breathing, especially if it happens to be a highly enriched nitrox mix.

As to your questions:
Personally I think that J-valves are crap. Toss it and get a newer valve.
If you wish to dive doubles, the normal standard is that you use DIN connections, so you will need DIN regulators. You CAN dive doubles with one regulator, but that nullifies one of the main points of diving doubles--having redundancy with multiple first stages in case one blows, ruptures, etc.
"Doubles valves" are called "manifolds". Again, just like in my previous post, this implies that you are careless and haven't taken the time to do your research. Personally I find asking questions on ScubaBoard that are easily answered with a Google search slightly pathetic. If you don't do the time to do research you obviously won't put in the time to correctly set up your gear, or follow any rules of cave diving, which according to this post you wish to get into.

As posted before, you're still in your basic OW training. IF you get your certification (wait did I say "if"? I meant "when", we all know they hand them on to undeserving people these days...) then it's essentially the same as that learner's permit you might have for driving. It's a PERMIT, for the accumulation of future knowledge and experience. From your other posts it sounds like you're a "card collector". Take the time to gain LOTS of experience before you get into the other advanced training you've posted about.

QED

okay first of all i have experiance i have used j-valves and their not crap. i have operated dpvs just not heavy duty ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom