J valve rated pressures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterwulf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I like J valves and use them regularly. But, I've only ever used them on steel 72's with the lower pressures. I just got a brand new Aluminum 80 and want to use a J valve on it too. It's freshly serviced and I have a 5K burst disk to put in it. What are the pressure ratings on J valves? One is a Sportsways and the other is a US Divers. Can I use one of them for the higher 3K pressures? Thanks

I prefer to run my 72s at 2800 or 3k... No problems with J valves yet. Just looking at how the mechanism works it should be a non issue.

Thanks. I was pretty sure it would be fine at 3K psi but wanted to make sure.

J-valves were still being used when Al 80's began being used.
rx7diver
Yeah, I remember that but I personally have never used an 80 with a J valve so I wanted to be sure. I have a 5K burst disk on the way for it.

What is the actual (approximate) burst pressurenonna LP tank? 5k psi is over twice the rated pressure for a LP72. At what point does this actually become dangerous?

Considering two of my German Double hose regs are rated at 300bar with a din fitting
Having installed a heavy duty yoke on one of them, lets me use it with a Dacor J valve.

What is the actual (approximate) burst pressurenonna LP tank? 5k psi is over twice the rated pressure for a LP72. At what point does this actually become dangerous?
I presume he means a 5K burst rating on the burst disk. He intends to use the valve on an AL80 (3k working pressure). Hydro testing is done at 5/3 working pressure. He's installing the appropriate burst disk for the tank the valve is going on.... So I'd say not dangerous at all.
Of course, I put 5k burst disks in valves that I put on 72s.... Doesn't mean I fill them to 5k. Just gives me more head room when I fill them to 2800.

Respectfully,

James

The 5K psi burst disk is going in the valve for the Aluminum 80 tank because it will be run at 3K psi. The 72 is getting a new 3750 psi burst disk because it will be pressurized to 2250 psi. 5/3 ratio on both of them.

Back
Top Bottom