Tank O2 cleaning.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about the every dive shop especially approved I've ever seen dishwashing liquid from under your sink
with extra grease cutting but before you do the frying pans

Hey what do you think of this

Check the roundness

I just want to point out, that while a UV light can be an excellent additional tool while O2 cleaning, they are becoming more and more obsolete.

Modern synthetic oils, like used in virtually all breathing air compressors by now, mostly do not fluorescent under ultraviolet light. Things that do fluorescent under UV light, like oils and lubricants used in the past, are becoming increasingly in-probable to make their way into a SCUBA cylinder.
While a lot of hydrocarbons do light up under UV light, some do not. A clean look under a UV light may give the technician a false sense of security and cleanliness. Furthermore the wavelength should be ideally in the 365nm range and I have seen all to many inspection lights with useless wavelengths to begin with.

So by all means, do get a UV light, it is an excellent tool. But do not solely rely on it for gauging the cleanliness of your work.

@Zodixo - do you have an Oxygen Hacker's Manual book? If not, that would be a good place to start. I'll provide a few pointers, but please familiarize yourself with O2 cleaning so that you don't waste $ and stay safe.

Simple Green (original) is not an O2 approved degreaser. Simple Green Extreme is. If you cannot get it at your location, try Blue Gold. If you cannot get that, then talk to anyone in aviation industry and see what they use. Also, chat with people who do lab work, and they may point you to the right solution.

As for valves.... get brand new O2 valves for your tanks. Nautec is a good option if you have $. Also, you have to learn how to O2 clean valves because most of the time it is not the valve that will ignite by itself, it is some dirt/residue that give you just enough fire fuel.

EDIT: I confused Simple Green brands and updated the original post to mention Simple Green Extreme and not Simple Green Crystal.

Simple Green is not an O2 approved degreaser.
According to whom?

I have seen Simple Green listed in manuals as an approved degreaser. WHen I had trouble getting Simple Green Crystal, I called the company and was assured standard Simple Green was just fine, and I was given directions for its use.

I made a mistake, as I confused the Simple Green brands.

Here are some common Simple Green varieties:

- Simple Green Extreme is approved for O2
- Simple Green Crystal has no color or scent - not approved for O2.
- Simple Green - the original - not approved for O2.

All of these still suck compared to Blue Gold. Blue Gold has rust inhibitors, does not have smell, does not leave a sticky film, etc.

I made a mistake, as I confused the Simple Green brands.

Here are some common Simple Green varieties:

- Simple Green Extreme is approved for O2
- Simple Green Crystal has no color or scent - not approved for O2.
- Simple Green - the original - not approved for O2.

All of these still suck compared to Blue Gold. Blue Gold has rust inhibitors, does not have smell, does not leave a sticky film, etc.

As I asked before--according to whom?

Back
Top Bottom