TSA locks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cxg31s

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I did a search but didn't come up with any useful info on this, so I'm asking. Has anyone ordered those new TSA-approved locks that can be unlocked with a TSA master key and the indicator changes from green to red if the lock is opened? If so, what was your experience with them?

I haven't locked my luggage since 9/11and have never had a problem, but I've also been lucky enough to have non-stop flights to my destinations. Well, I'm headed to Curacao this summer (72 days!) and have to route through Miami, which I'm not excited about. So, given the security issues in Miami and higher risk of theft, I would like to secure my luggage so at least the baggage handlers will stay out of it.

And yes, I can always use zip-ties, but anyone can cut those. You can "mark" them all you like, but your gear will already be gone! I just thought the locks might be more of a deterrant to thieves, but would still give TSA access if they need it.

Any input would be appreciated--thanks! :)

Angie

I'm going to be watching this thread.... going the Southern Caribbean in a couple of months. Would like to lock the bags for a little feeling of security... but mostly so the zipper doesn't get opened and all my gear falls out. :11:

I bought two of the TSA 4 digit combination locks over the internet and I will be using them tomorrow, when I leave for Belize. From what I understand it should make everything much easier and less stressful. I have had to open my stuff twice after sending it through, but each time it was on the other end; once in Honduras and once in Cayman. I am not sure if the new locks will be of any help there. The locks also have a guarantee that if they are cut off, they will be replaced by the company, if you show some documentation that your bag was searched/cut open. Hopefully, I will never have to try that out. I feel more comfortable with my bags being locked with something more than a ty-wrap.

Aeolus:
I bought two of the TSA 4 digit combination locks over the internet and I will be using them tomorrow, when I leave for Belize. From what I understand it should make everything much easier and less stressful. I have had to open my stuff twice after sending it through, but each time it was on the other end; once in Honduras and once in Cayman. I am not sure if the new locks will be of any help there. The locks also have a guarantee that if they are cut off, they will be replaced by the company, if you show some documentation that your bag was searched/cut open. Hopefully, I will never have to try that out. I feel more comfortable with my bags being locked with something more than a ty-wrap.

I feel the same way--a tie wrap doesn't give me much of a feeling of security. The locks shouldn't have to be cut off though because the TSA agent can use a master key to open them--that was the whole purpose of these locks so they would no longer have to break them.

Please let us know how the locks worked out for you on your trip. Have a great trip! :)

No small luggage lock is going to prevent someone from getting in if they want to, at best I consider locks or anything a way to keep the honest, honest. Maybe if I'm lucky it would slow someone down and direct them to an easier target.

Since the whole lock thing started I use plain zip ties with the end dipped in some ugly nail polish, cheap and unique so I know if they've been opened and replaced. Also to make sure the zippers stay closed.

As far as the TSA locks, I don't see any more security there, I figure the crooks had the magic key within a day no matter what they say...

Damselfish:
No small luggage lock is going to prevent someone from getting in if they want to, at best I consider locks or anything a way to keep the honest, honest. Maybe if I'm lucky it would slow someone down and direct them to an easier target.

Since the whole lock thing started I use plain zip ties with the end dipped in some ugly nail polish, cheap and unique so I know if they've been opened and replaced. Also to make sure the zippers stay closed.

As far as the TSA locks, I don't see any more security there, I figure the crooks had the magic key within a day no matter what they say...

Damselfish, I agree that locks aren't going to keep a determined thief out, any more than zip ties will. But I maintain that even if you "mark" zip ties with nail polish or some other method, you'll know they've been cut anyway because your gear will be missing!

I am curious about the locks I mentioned because they are specifically designed for TSA agents to be able to have access without being cut, yet they aren't as easy to snip as zip ties. Like I said, I generally don't even lock my luggage but since I'm routing through the Miami airport, thievery will be more of a concern this trip.

Here are the locks I'm talking about--I'm interested in any feedback from someone who has used these.

http://www.tamperseal.com/

Angie

My husband and I travel alot-over 50,000 miles last year--and we are always bringing either scuba equipment or parachuting equipment. We have found the best way to secure our luggage is to get rid of locks all together and use our own brightly colored zip ties. If the TSA has to open your luggage, they replace the zip tie with one of their own supposedly special ones. We have had our luggage opened a few times by TSA and have had thier zip ties put on them. Most of the time it has been with us present. When they don't open them, we make sure our zip tie is in place when we receive our luggage at baggage claim. If we ever see a problem, which we haven't so far, we would immediately call attention to it with our airline.

I researched this a few months ago and even contacted the TSA. the person I talked to at the TSA didn't know if the locks had been approved yet or not . They weren't much help, but they also couldn't verify they could use them. I asked him what they would do if they didn't have the "master unlocking mechanism" at the new airport and he said they would still cut them off. So much for this type of lock.

BTW... You can supossedly buy these at Brookstone also, but they are overpriced by about $20 there (as is everything in their store).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom