Trying to Plan trip to Cozumel...need suggestions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll have to make a trip to Ft Lauderdale in the next year anyway since I now have the tkts (with a change fee of course). If we can't reschedule then we have to talk to him about giving us the $$ back too. We booked just 3wks out and didn't really think about insurance for this one.
But on this one, I guess the airline will honor the tickets less $100 fee each to any destination, and the cancelled liveaboard would have to refund if requested.

ReefHound:
What if your best friend is in a car accident? What if you have unexpected repair expenses and can't afford the vacation? What if you just chicken out? You can play the "what if" game to eternity, in the end it comes down to a bet against an unlikely event.

Weather is another issue, especially with regards to a liveaboard (which I noted). But it doesn't sound as if your losses are severe. You can reschedule or get your money back. I would never book a trip that would allow the operator to cancel and just keep the money.

Agree on the "what if's" but just pointing out the reasons to think about trip cancellation and that having DAN preferred or the equivalent with another group doesn't replace the need for trip insurance. With dive trips I don't usually go on a package unless I have no other option for the destination. Most dive ops I use, you book with a deposit and settle up at the end. I prefer that. And when I don't have to lay out the money in advance I don't bother with extra insurance.

The liveaboard was not a regular type of trip. It was only 4 of us and the crew, more of a by invitation thing to try check out a couple areas new for the boat and decide if they wanted to start offering the itinerary. We got a good deal for what it was, but it still was not cheap. He's trying to find a date next month that works for all 4 of us. If not then we can choose one of his regular trips. We're not really interested in that so if that's the case we'll just ask for the money back.

I did get stuck with eating the cost of a landbased trip in October. We had to cancel on the day we were to arrive because my mother ended up in hospital and it was serious so I had to fly home instead. It was a group thing and they of course had no opportunity to replace us at that point so that was that. Insurance will be purchased from now on in any case where I have to pay in advance and lose it with a last minute cancellation.

An advantage of DAN is many divers already have it and it applies to all trips. It doesn't cover every contingency but it covers some, which is better than not covering anything.

I'm not trying to talk anybody out of trip insurance if they desire that level of "peace of mind" but consider these things:

1) it's lucrative for those selling it, so in the long run premiums will far exceed claims. Statistics mean nothing on any one trip but averaged against all the trips you take in a lifetime they do.

2) read the fine print not just the bullet points, or you find out one day your peace of mind was a false sense of security.

3) evaluate insurers by how they handle claims, I've found they sing a different tune when collecting the premiums than when paying claims. The primary job of an adjuster is to minimize the claims payments and the first thing they do is look for an out.

This is an interesting topic, since so many of us, it seems, are not all that clear on things. I have purchased Trip Ins when travelling with someone else, but on trips alone I do not insure the trip with separate ins. Maybe I should. It is news to me that DAN does not cover hurricanes, extreme weather etc?

Don, that was a solid move you did taking care of that guy's gear that was left in the cab. Good man.

pilot fish:
This is an interesting topic, since so many of us, it seems, are not all that clear on things. I have purchased Trip Ins when travelling with someone else, but on trips alone I do not insure the trip with separate ins. Maybe I should. It is news to me that DAN does not cover hurricanes, extreme weather etc?

Don, that was a solid move you did taking care of that guy's gear that was left in the cab. Good man.
Thanks. I'm so hyphenated it bothers many, but no one else wanted to deal with it.

So what if you have a heart attack, stroke, something outside of the US? Are you sure your medical insurance covers your pre evacuation needs?

DandyDon:
Thanks. I'm so hyphenated it bothers many, but no one else wanted to deal with it.

So what if you have a heart attack, stroke, something outside of the US? Are you sure your medical insurance covers your pre evacuation needs?

You mean DAN, right? NO, I'm not sure.

DandyDon:

If I have a stroke or a heart attack, the cost of evacuation is the least of my concerns.

ReefHound:
If I have a stroke or a heart attack, the cost of evacuation is the least of my concerns.
Paying for pre-evac is one of your big worries. If the local clinic doesn't think they'll get paid, your treatment may be minimized. Your death report would include "We did all we reasonbly could."

You mean DAN, right? NO, I'm not sure.
PF, I know you're a smart dude. Read it. No, DAN will not cover your non-diving heart attack, stroke, whatever - and I have known people in their 20s get those.

Does your regular medical ins cover you outside of US? Fully? Are you sure?

I have DAN, to cover diving stuff, knew they did not cover non dive stuff, and yes, my medical will cover me outside of USA. I'm going to call to make sure of that so I'll get back to you with a 100% answer. Right now I'm 80%. I want them to examine the fine print.

DandyDon:
Paying for pre-evac is one of your big worries. If the local clinic doesn't think they'll get paid, your treatment may be minimized. Your death report would include "We did all we reasonbly could."

PF, I know you're a smart dude. Read it. No, DAN will not cover your non-diving heart attack, stroke, whatever - and I have known people in their 20s get those.

Does your regular medical ins cover you outside of US? Fully? Are you sure?

DandyDon:

Yeah, and while the clinic docs are looking at each other going "Travel Who?", I'll already be receiving my care. Besides, costs them more if you die than if you live.

Most major medical policies have no special exclusions for Mexico. How could business be conducted internationally if not? Probably be considered an out-of-network provider though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom