Trying to Plan trip to Cozumel...need suggestions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Accident Insurance
Preferred Plan
: Frequently Asked Questions

What are the main differences between the DAN Preferred Plan and the Master Plan?
The DAN Preferred Plan offers one expanded benefit and a few new ones. The DAN Preferred Plan provides $250,000 Dive Accident Coverage per occurrence; $10,000 (lifetime maximum, $250 deductible per occurrence) Dive Vacation Cancellation Coverage; $5,000 (lifetime maximum, $250 deductible per occurrence) Dive Vacation Interruption Coverage and $10,000 (lifetime maximum, $250 deductible per occurrence) Medical Non-Dive Accident Coverage.

What is the difference between Diving Vacation Cancellation and Diving Vacation Interruption?
The Diving Vacation Cancellation benefit pays for the unused, nonrefundable arrangements and the nonrefundable payments incurred as a result of cancellation penalties imposed by tour operators, common carriers and hotels when the insured diver must cancel a trip because of personal sickness or injury that would substantially impair his or her ability to dive. The Diving Vacation Interruption benefit pays for the losses that an injured diver incurs for a trip interrupted after the time and date of departure on a trip due to personal sickness or injury that would substantially impair his or her ability to dive. (Both of these benefits are subject to the terms and limitations of the group policy.)

Will these benefits pay for a trip that I cancel because of my work schedule or illness to a family member?
No, these benefits are only activated if the insured diver is the one who is sick or injured in a such a manner that it would prevent him from diving.

Do I need to call DAN before I plan a trip to make sure this coverage is activated?
No, by having the DAN Preferred Plan, you automatically have this coverage for any dive trip, but it you have problems on a trip, please notify DAN as soon as possible.

What is Medical Non-Dive Accident Coverage?
It is coverage that pays for treatment of an injury due to an accident that is not the result of diving with the covered member is outside of his or her home country. This benefit is subject to the terms and limitations of the group policy.

This trip insurance is a complex issue. It comes down to a bet, you are paying someone else to assume your risk. Personally, I've never bought trip insurance and never wished I had. I think we live in a society that sometimes goes overboard in trying to protect against every possible perceived risk and provide a guarantee. I don't know anyone who has had a trip cancelled after departure due to illness or injury.

I don't see the DAN insurance as a substitute for trip insurance, if that is what you want. It doesn't cover weather cancellations, which I've known several people have problems with. For many trips, cancelling at least 48 hours before departure doesn't incur great expense. Airline tickets can be applied towards another flight with a fee (~$100), most hotels don't have any fees with proper notice, dive charters (not liveaboards) only require a day notice, and food and other expenses aren't applicable. You probably won't even exceed your $250 DAN deductible.

The real monetary risk comes in the final 24 hour countdown but even then, if worse comes to worst, I think much of the expenses can be mitigated in most cases. With what I've saved already by forgoing trip insurance I could take a total loss on a couple of trips and still be ahead. Of course, everyone's situation and risk tolerance is different.

If you cannot go on your trip, and have pre-paid your diving with a Dive Op, which is usually what happens, are they oblidged to return your money? How much notice is required for them?

ReefHound:
This trip insurance is a complex issue. It comes down to a bet, you are paying someone else to assume your risk. Personally, I've never bought trip insurance and never wished I had. I think we live in a society that sometimes goes overboard in trying to protect against every possible perceived risk and provide a guarantee. I don't know anyone who has had a trip cancelled after departure due to illness or injury.

I don't see the DAN insurance as a substitute for trip insurance, if that is what you want. It doesn't cover weather cancellations, which I've known several people have problems with. For many trips, cancelling at least 48 hours before departure doesn't incur great expense. Airline tickets can be applied towards another flight with a fee (~$100), most hotels don't have any fees with proper notice, dive charters (not liveaboards) only require a day notice, and food and other expenses aren't applicable. You probably won't even exceed your $250 DAN deductible.

The real monetary risk comes in the final 24 hour countdown but even then, if worse comes to worst, I think much of the expenses can be mitigated in most cases. With what I've saved already by forgoing trip insurance I could take a total loss on a couple of trips and still be ahead. Of course, everyone's situation and risk tolerance is different.

pilot fish:
If you cannot go on your trip, and have pre-paid your diving with a Dive Op, which is usually what happens, are they oblidged to return your money? How much notice is required for them?

You have to read the cancellation policy of your dive operator of choice for this info. At one time many would refund with a reasonable amount of advance notice. Now it's most common that they will refund a specified amount only, and that amount will be reduced the closer in you cancel. Often last minute cancellations will only get you a credit to use in the future. In some case, you will not get any refund.

If you choose to use an op that requires 100% payment in advance, or travel on dive/hotel packages where you are paying up front, be sure to carefully read the dive op and/or tour package cancellation policy before you book. Don't take a verbal explanaition either. Make sure it's in writing. If anything you read is vague or you aren't sure you've interpreted it correctly, ask before you book. Where cancellation and insurance are involved, you won't get any sympathy for misunderstanding.

Scubawife, that prompted me to look that up.

"Discount Packages are non-refundable. In the event you are entitled to a refund XYZ Dive Op will issue you a 'Rain check' which may be used at a later date. 'Rain checks' are transferable and not affected by price changes.
Cancellations must be made before 8pm on the day prior to our dive or you will be charged 100%"

&

"A full refund (less 5% service fee) will be made for cancellations received 30 days prior to arrival
29 – 15 days prior to arrival, 50% of the deposit is forfeited
14 days or less prior to arrival, no deposit refund is available"

ReefHound:

One consideration with DAN preferred cancellation benefit vs a seperate (or additional) trip insurance policy is that the incuded DAN coverage is only for the insured person. What if your non-diving family member or traveling companion is sick and can't go? What if you have a serious illness or other situation with a family member that results in you not being able to go? Those things are covered with trip cancellation insurance, but not with DAN preferred. And then there's weather....

I was supposed to be on a small liveaboard in Little Bahama Banks and other areas 2 wks ago. We were leaving on a Mon and on Sat the captain/owner cancelled the trip because the marine forcast put the 60' boat in 6-8ft seas for most of our time. I'm glad he had placed our safety and comfort first, but if we can't reschedule I'll have to make a trip to Ft Lauderdale in the next year anyway since I now have the tkts (with a change fee of course). If we can't reschedule then we have to talk to him about giving us the $$ back too. We booked just 3wks out and didn't really think about insurance for this one.

pilot fish:
"Discount Packages are non-refundable. In the event you are entitled to a refund XYZ Dive Op will issue you a 'Rain check' which may be used at a later date. 'Rain checks' are transferable and not affected by price changes.
Cancellations must be made before 8pm on the day prior to our dive or you will be charged 100%"

&

"A full refund (less 5% service fee) will be made for cancellations received 30 days prior to arrival
29 – 15 days prior to arrival, 50% of the deposit is forfeited
14 days or less prior to arrival, no deposit refund is available"

I never said there were no fees, rain checks are not a problem unless you won't be returning there, but if you forgo the trip insurance then you definitely need to watch the cancellation/refund policies closely and select operators that will work with you. Perhaps one reason not to book the dives too far in advance. While I wouldn't advise showing up and hoping to get on a trip the next day (although if you are flexible it will probably not be a problem), I see no reason to pay for the dives months in advance.

It's a personal choice. If you want a risk-free no loss guarantee, pay the bite upfront. If not, it's a bet. I'm betting I can mitigate my loss to a few hundred dollars and that such a loss is highly unlikely to occur.

Since THEY cancelled, you should to entitled to a full refund. They were protecting themselves/crew as much as the divers. Let us know what happens?

scubawife:
One consideration with DAN preferred cancellation benefit vs a seperate (or additional) trip insurance policy is that the incuded DAN coverage is only for the insured person. What if your non-diving family member or traveling companion is sick and can't go? What if you have a serious illness or other situation with a family member that results in you not being able to go? Those things are covered with trip cancellation insurance, but not with DAN preferred. And then there's weather....

I was supposed to be on a small liveaboard in Little Bahama Banks and other areas 2 wks ago. We were leaving on a Mon and on Sat the captain/owner cancelled the trip because the marine forcast put the 60' boat in 6-8ft seas for most of our time. I'm glad he had placed our safety and comfort first, but if we can't reschedule I'll have to make a trip to Ft Lauderdale in the next year anyway since I now have the tkts (with a change fee of course). If we can't reschedule then we have to talk to him about giving us the $$ back too. We booked just 3wks out and didn't really think about insurance for this one.

scubawife:

What if your best friend is in a car accident? What if you have unexpected repair expenses and can't afford the vacation? What if you just chicken out? You can play the "what if" game to eternity, in the end it comes down to a bet against an unlikely event.

Weather is another issue, especially with regards to a liveaboard (which I noted). But it doesn't sound as if your losses are severe. You can reschedule or get your money back. I would never book a trip that would allow the operator to cancel and just keep the money.

pilot fish:
It does cover you for illness, but not if your spouse was ill and you could not go.:confused:
There are lots of non-diving risks that DAN dive insurance does not cover - it is Diver Insurance...!

Ok, right if the diver becomes ill and the trip is cancelled or interrupted, there is some coverage - but none if any family member becomes ill.

But the big risk (sorry this was not obvious enough) is that if the diver becomes ill on the trip, not scuba related, the diver is not covered - and many personal medical insurance policies do not cover you outside of the US. Mine does not. Travel Assist might help get me back to Houston if needed, but if the insurance company sees that I can get proper care where I am, I'd better have coverage - and I don't carry an extra $20,000 on trips in case of this.

There's also the luggage/gear risk. If I lose my BC & Reg on a dive accident, DAN dive insurance covers it, but if the airline loses a bag, they're only liable for $9.07/pound on international trips - $453.50 max for most, $634.90 even for the Elite member with a 70# bag. I usually carry my regs in my roll-on outbound, but not returning - and I don't know wht the value of that bag would be exactly if lost returning, but I like coverage. Or what if the van driver sets it off at the wrong hotel, or the hotel porter lose it, ferry baggage handler loses it, etc?

I once left a Coz hotel with some others in a taxi van for the airport, and when we unloaded out bags - we had two from a traveler who'd just arrived at the hotel that day that the porter had loaded along with ours. Poor fellow had traveled half a day to get to Coz, got his bags to the hotel, checked in and went to his room with his roll-on, left the big bags with the porter - and next he would be told: "We do not know where your bags are Senor? Are you sure you brought them to us? Do you have a receipt?" He would be out of luck. I didn't trust the van driver with the task - altho it could have been ok. I took his bags into the airport, to his arrival airline, and got them to promise to handle it - then called him at the hotel myself. What's the chances of someone finding my bags someplace, tho - and being that deligent? Who knows, but for the tiny premium of Trip Ins, I'm cover for all these.

And a lot more. I hope I never have a claim, but the $55 a trip is worth it to not worry about that area... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom