Trying to Plan trip to Cozumel...need suggestions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn:
Wow, Don, what a hat! ;^)
You don't have one like it? I didn't plan on buying it, just a photo shoot and a $2 tip, but he got to offering me deals, so we haggled, and I did. My dive buddy was not helpful at all, telling me it was a good deal while I was still working on price, but he wasn't raised with cowbuyers. Hehe, I started to buy the Big sombrero, but settled on this one. I did fold up in my luggage and unfold okay 12 hours later.

I forget where Dork Fish lives (profile not completed), but those Funjet charters are difficult to reach for some of us - I live a 6 hour drive from their closest origin, and there are many other things I don't like about them.

I don't care for AIs, but - Cada del Mar has a cheap package. I have stayed there once, okay place - going to in August with a group, so I guess I'll learn about their AI package then. This time I'm buying laundry bleach for the drains tho.

DandyDon:
There are many great Ops on the island, some cheap & basic, some higher priced but usually worth it. BlueXTseaDiving seems to be the ultimate in quality and safety. This is certainly true of the handful I have dived with, and while some others might be equal, there could be none better. If you're gonna shop, do your comparisons with that in mind.

Wow ! BXTS is the ultimate? Well, Christi...mission accomplished ! Every time I try another op, I keep looking forward to diving with BXTS. Dive Paradise has some good points but you really are just a number unless you are with a DM you know. BTW, does anyone know if Nacho is still diving with them?

tlmainer:
Did you ever try Funjet for air/hotel AI package? It would not include diving but you can get some great deals and book diving seperate. You can get air/hotel AI out of Dallas or Houston for approx $400-$450 p/person including all taxes/transfers etc. We've been getting the same price w/Funjet for 10 years.

Yes, but this time applevacations is cheaper. I think it is around $3,013.00 without the diving right now. Fights out of O'hare are running $500+ right now. grrr

I'm a Dork Fish:
Yes, but this time applevacations is cheaper. I think it is around $3,013.00 without the diving right now. Fights out of O'hare are running $500+ right now. grrr
$500+ ain't bad smack in the middle of school vacation period - I've paid that much from Lubbock. $100 cheaper by way of Cancun, and it's not a lot of hassle and time. Looks like Continental (whom I'll pay more to avoid American, persoanlly) will fly you July 16 & 22 for $412 RT including taxes & fees. Not bad for July.

Iberostar - don't do it, it's a trick!

Reef Club - same story, plus they are both too far south for what you want

Scuba Club - very nice property, maybe suite your snorkeling needs, no tv, no phone, pretty quite place, may not suite family needs

Hotel Cozumel - best bet for the family, great pool, AI & non-AI plans, close to Scuba Club area so snorkeling may be ok, very close to town, located accross the street from the beach, but they have thier own beach with I think an under street access.

Casa Del Mar - great for the no-frills diver, clean, quite rooms, $4 cab ride to town, pretty much accross the street from La Ceiba, which used to have some of the best snorkeling at "airplane flats"

Speaking of snorkeling, unfortunately, Coz is not know for it's shore line snorkeling, La Ceiba, Scuba Club, Caribe Blu & Plaza las Gloria (now Cozumel Palace) used to have pretty good snorkeling before Wilma, but last year it was still pretty torn up.
Chankanaab Park also used to have some pretty good snorkeling, but again after Wilma I don't know, maybe someone who has been there recently can chime in.

sharky60:
Speaking of snorkeling
I never went there before Wilma but I was there recently. I didn't do a whole lot of snorkeling but from what I did I can tell you that while it may not be as great as it was, it is worth doing if you want to lounge around in the water.

It seemed like most of the coral formations and plants close to shore were wiped out, but there are little bits and pieces of sealife growing back. Whie the coral is lacking there are still a lot of fish to see. Stick with places that have ironshore and there is plenty to see while snorkeling.

~Jess

Just a quick question...

Does anyone know about the Royal Holiday Club Cozumel? I talked with someone who owns a time share and suggested they have a week to use here.

I do believe that is the Park Royal hotel. If it is, it has just been rebuilt since hurricane Wilma. I've met people who said it was very nice. It does look great from the outside compared to both pre Wilma and post Wilma damage.

If you go that route be sure you have a confirmed pre paid reservation before buying air tickets. Do a search on yahoo or google and you will see why I say that.

Just an FYI... I used to have Dans but switched to DiveAssure, they cover alot more, and with my policy trip insurance and gear insurance is included

smithvillemike:
Just an FYI... I used to have Dans but switched to DiveAssure, they cover alot more, and with my policy trip insurance and gear insurance is included

DiveAssure is not available to residents of all states. DAN is. Don't remember the full list but I do know that it's not available to NY residents. (Also not available in Canada or many other countries).

DAN has different levels of insurance. The higher two do cover some trip cancellation and gear. www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/compare.asp We've got our camera equipment and gear covered on a DEPP policy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom