Trust-me dives- A Personal Opinion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnny Richards

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
In the past year or so, there have been a great many comments condemning all “trust-me” dives as per se faulty. I believe this is the result of either a misconception or a lack of understanding of the trust-me dive concept.

A trust-me dive, in its strictest sense, occurs anytime a more experienced diver leads a less experienced diver to an area unknown to the less experienced diver. “Less experienced” may mean a diver who is new or relatively new to cave diving or one who is unfamiliar with a particular system though he may have many years of cave diving experience. The lead diver provides information regarding the dive upon which the dive team relies in planning and executing the dive. There is little difference in this type of dive planning and one which relies solely upon reference to a map in dive planning- except that a diver with greater experience is a member of the dive team. As a guide for a deep cave system, I have provided many divers the opportunity to dive a system in which they have not previously dove and I provided all information regarding the dive and set the dive plan.

When I began cave diving, I had the opportunity to dive the Devil’s System with divers who lived on the property and who knew the cave system far better than I did. I was able to dive portions of the cave that I had not seen before, did not know existed and was in the company of a diver who was far more experienced than I and who I both trusted and respected. This gave me the chance to broaden my knowledge of the cave system and to do so with a diver in whom I had a great deal of confidence. My comfort and enjoyment level was greatly increased on these dives. The same was true for my first dives in the caves of the Yucatan Peninsula.

So far, so good.

Again, in the strictest sense of the term, every training dive conducted is a trust-me dive. The student diver is directed to a portion of the cave which he has not previously dove while in the company of his instructor.

There is absolutely nothing improper with this type of dive- all proper protocol is followed, diver limitations are observed and individual comfort levels control the dive. A continuous guideline is place to open water, all jumps are lined, all directional choices are properly marked, appropriate gas matching occurs and, most importantly, any diver is free to call any dive at any time for any reason or no reason, no questions and no recriminations. In the event of a team separation, each team member has the full capability to safely return to the surface on their own.

Perhaps, in order to avoid the current unthinking knee-jerk reaction that all trust-me dives are improper and dangerous, a new term should be coined- “blind trust-me dive”.

A blind trust-me dive occurs when one team member of lesser experience places near-complete reliance on another to lead the dive to a portion of a cave system with which the following diver is unfamiliar. Visual jumps are typically a part of the dive plan, a primary reel to open water may not be placed and, in many cases, the plan involves a definite goal- “We’ll dive to the whale bone”. The blind trust-me dive is both improper and unsafe because of the following diver’s potential inability to safely exit the system without the lead diver’s assistance. In the event of a siltout resulting in a team separation, will the following diver have the ability to safely exit to the surface? Maybe not.

Trust-me dives are a fact of life and have been for as long as I have been cave diving and instructing cave diving. They occur when we teach and when we dive on a recreational basis. We each have the ability to choose to make these dives safe by following proper generally accepted protocol- remaining within our training and personal limitations, observing the Guidelines of Accident Analysis and always retaining the ability to call the dive at any point during the dive. Each team member must have confidence in his ability to return to the surface without assistance from another team member.

Have fun- dive safe,

Johnny

Good comments Johnny. There is always the basic rule of cave diving,"anybody can call a dive for any reason". If the less experienced person doesn't feel comfortable with the dive,then they should call the dive,conversely if the more experienced diver doesn't like what they see ie checking pressure guage frequently,narrow focusing on the guide line,erractic behaviors etc, then they should call the dive. Because the bottom line is the your emergency gas is the other person's back.

I guess I disagree with your definition of a trust-me dive. I guess what yopu consider a "blind trust-me dive" is what i think of just a plain old trust-me dive.

When I think of a trust-me dive, I think of a diver passing thirds on a circuit or a traverse without having set the dive up himself based on the word of another diver who says...it's ok.

If it's your personal opinion, does that mean we are supposed to TRUST you? :)

mello-yellow:
If it's your personal opinion, does that mean we are supposed to TRUST you? :)

Only if you trust me :14: .

Johnny

MikeFerrara:
I guess I disagree with your definition of a trust-me dive. I guess what yopu consider a "blind trust-me dive" is what i think of just a plain old trust-me dive.

When I think of a trust-me dive, I think of a diver passing thirds on a circuit or a traverse without having set the dive up himself based on the word of another diver who says...it's ok.

I, too, think of trust-me-dives as those to which Johnny refers as blind trust-me-dives. I like his distinction, but the thread does underscore the problem with labels. They often confuse more than clarify.

I have always associated a trust-me-dive in a negative context. Don't do a trust-me-dive, don't eat yellow snow, etc. Trust is an element in any team dive, no more so than in cave. Nothing wrong with that. What's wrong is the reliance (trust) by one team member on another to turn what would otherwise be a dive for which that team member isn't prepared into a dive which that team member does anyway based purely on reliance on the other team member. Put another way, the go no go decision turns on the strength of the stronger team member, not the weaker one. Should be the reverse. A dive done where one team member has more experience , but for which both team members are qualified, involves trust, but does it need to be called a trust-me-dive? Does it need to be singled out for a particular label? Giving it a label implies there is something materially distinct about it. Is there? Don't many dives involve one team member having more experience in a particular system than the other?

Sounds to me like the substance of the matter is more useful than the label itself.

Well said Johnny.

My definition of a "Trust Me" dive meant to me things such as no continuous gudeline to the surface, visual jumps etc. Anytime the diver "trusted" or relied upon the other diver to "guide" him or her to safety or the surface I considered a "Trust-me" dive. Whenever that diver lost or gave up his/her independence I considered it a "Trust-Me" dive.

Your term "Blind Trust Me" dive is an excellent way of describing what I always thought of as a "Trust-Me" dive.

Jim

Johnny, thanks for confusing the issue. Now when someone asks me to do a trust me dive, I'll need to ask if they are using the Johnny Richards definition or the old definition. :)

I think the point is not to engage in a dive that you cannot abort at any time, without a reasonable chance of survival should your buddy/leader vanish or become incapacitated.

This is why cavern has a whole day of lecture and line work before getting in the water, right? At least the students have a decent chance if the instructor has a heart attack. Cave instruction being about as dependant a diver relationship as I can come up with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom