Cave diving media questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While not specific to cave diving, I recommend Submerged by Dan Lenihan. He founded the National Parks Service dive team and has done some absolutely wild diving all over the world, includimg caves with Sheck Exley. One of my favorite reads.

I lived next to Eglin for years and dove in the area but I never heard of a cave on the base. Having said that, there are two parts to Eglin Base. The actual base itself and the area around it known as the Reservation. The Reservation is huge and has multiple fresh water springs on it that flow deep, fast, cold and clear. (Great snorkel trips) I never heard of any caves in the area but I imagine there has to be because of the springs.

A little bit North of there up towards Marianna and Chipley, are some deep caves. I was part of a crew surveying one on private property. We found an underwater lake that had some flow in it but we didn't bring diving gear.
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I was talking about the Eglin reservation. I don't remember much other than the guys were in the middle of a pine forest and the diver entered through a no mount entrance that was just a crack between two pieces of limestone. If you didn't know where it was you'd never find it. Someone lowered his gear to him and he went through some sketchy looking passage until he reached clear flowing water. Really interesting. But it could just be TV.

What was the cave and underground lake like? Any pictures you'd care to share?

Thanks again.

The lake was pretty small, more like a pond but it had some flow in it so it had to be connected to something. Getting to it was hard work. We had to use ropes just to get into the cave. Sorry, I took no photo's. The Professor that ran the operation was surveying it since it had never been officially explored. It had been hidden by the family that owned the property for many many years and it was still pristine. No graffiti or broken off rock formations, just undisturbed beauty. I was only there the one time.

The lake was pretty small, more like a pond but it had some flow in it so it had to be connected to something. Getting to it was hard work. We had to use ropes just to get into the cave. Sorry, I took no photo's. The Professor that ran the operation was surveying it since it had never been officially explored. It had been hidden by the family that owned the property for many many years and it was still pristine. No graffiti or broken off rock formations, just undisturbed beauty. I was only there the one time.
That's cool. Did the professor ever publish a paper and if so it's it available?

I love reading about that stuff.

I don't know if he ever published anything on it. He passed away a few years after that so if he didn't already, he won't now! He taught at the Okaloosa Junior College in Fort Walton Beach, Florida. I know the people who owned the property were very adamant about keeping it a secret. "We shoot uninvited trespassers". They told us that they were interested in the cave but did not want people in there trashing it. That's a valid point seeing as how other uncontrolled caves look, filled with trash, beer cans and graffiti.

I don't know if he ever published anything on it. He passed away a few years after that so if he didn't already, he won't now! He taught at the Okaloosa Junior College in Fort Walton Beach, Florida. I know the people who owned the property were very adamant about keeping it a secret. "We shoot uninvited trespassers". They told us that they were interested in the cave but did not want people in there trashing it. That's a valid point seeing as how other uncontrolled caves look, filled with trash, beer cans and graffiti.
I completely understand the property owners not wanting the attention. People suck. The level of entitlement that they show when invited somewhere is repulsive.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I'm not far from Okaloosa, maybe I'll check out the library or see if I can find someone that might know about the study. I don't need to see the cave but the research would be cool.

He ran the Outdoors Club there in the mid to late 70's if that helps.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom