JJCCR "Full Cave" course and/or crossover?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Markus MDDT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Guys!

Asking for suggestions and pro tips!
Scope: 2 guys (swedes) wanting to do some CCR-training in the caves. looking for instructors and plan. North FLorida or France, Lot.

Background me: OC full cave since 2001 ~300 cave dives, half in florida half in france, Last time cave diving 2012 in florida, Doing mine diving at home. JJCCR IANTD MOD1 ART+ certified 2021. ~160h on unit. Need a cave crossover from OC to CCR.

Background buddy: No overhead experience, Rebreather diver 15+ years. JJCCR IANTD MOD1 ART+ certified 2021. ~160h on unit. Need a "full cave" course.

Pleas help with suggestions about instructor, lodging, time, complementary training etc. I have noticed its a bit different since last time I was in cave country :wink:

Thank you for you help and safe diving!

Leaving you with a pic from early 2000 as proof of actually been there :D Feels like a lifetime ago......Damn i`m old.....

Attachments

• florida ginnie.jpg
    florida ginnie.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 91
For your friend, he'll need 7-8 days of training to go from no overhead to full cave. Technically, you could do a ccr cave crossover/upgrade in as few as 2 or 3 days, but given that it's been more than a decade since you've been cave diving, it might be better to do the whole program with your friend as a refresher.

Costs vary depending on instructors and locales.

For your friend, he'll need 7-8 days of training to go from no overhead to full cave. Technically, you could do a ccr cave crossover/upgrade in as few as 2 or 3 days, but given that it's been more than a decade since you've been cave diving, it might be better to do the whole program with your friend as a refresher.

Costs vary depending on instructors and locales.
Thanks! You know any good instructors? You dont teach JJ?

If you want do course nearby, you can do them in Plura (Norway). I recommend Santala, really good instructor. Doesn´t teach JJ, but if you need only crossovers and full cave, he can do that. He teaches Revo and Triton. Dive Courses — Technical Diving | CCR | Cave | Mine | Wreck

But with your experience (you have more that 100 hours) I would reccomend doing Fullcave and MOD2 combination course. Some instructors offer them.

If you want do course nearby, you can do them in Plura (Norway). I recommend Santala, really good instructor. Doesn´t teach JJ, but if you need only crossovers and full cave, he can do that. He teaches Revo and Triton. Dive Courses — Technical Diving | CCR | Cave | Mine | Wreck

But with your experience (you have more that 100 hours) I would reccomend doing Fullcave and MOD2 combination course. Some instructors offer them.
Thank you for the recommendation!
For me living in Gothenburg it's almost the same travel time to go to France which has many caves and is warmer. That's why we went there 1 or 2 times per year in the early 2000. I would really like to go to plura but right now I prefer warmer diving.
Any other north Florida divers who wants to share their recommendations ?

If you want do course nearby, you can do them in Plura (Norway). I recommend Santala, really good instructor. Doesn´t teach JJ, but if you need only crossovers and full cave, he can do that. He teaches Revo and Triton.
Are there more than 2 cave systems in the area? IMHO you need at least 3 cave systems and some side tunnels you can get 'lost' in for a proper cave class.

Any other north Florida divers who wants to share their recommendations ?
I don't know Ken but I think he's been around for a while and I haven't heard any negative gossip about him (in stark contrast to many other known cave instructors).
The only downside I see in getting training in Florida vs the Lot is that a trip to Florida and the class is going to be more expensive.
If you guys are Ok with spending a couple of grand more, I'd go with Flordia and Ken all day over the Lot and a non-local cave instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom