Trip Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greenblayza

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all!

Heading to Cebu in August and am looking for some suggestions.

I plan on going straight to Moalboal once I arrive. The thing is, I have 10 days to actually dive and am wondering if I should go to one other spot...

Any suggestions? I don't really want to waste a day traveling, but if there's somewhere near that's a must dive I'm all for it.

Thanks!

Malapascua!
4 hour ish bus from Cebu City plus a 45min boat trip. Buses run from very early in the morning so if yor're super organised and contact the dive centre in advance then you could be diving the day you arrive on Malapascua.

have a quick search through the Philippines board, I think there has been a lot of similar advice recently.
Good job you're AOW, there are many unique dive sites that will require that certification.

P.S I intend to visit Malapascua and MoalBoal in some time in August, feel free to PM me.

Nic

Day 1: Travel to Malapascua
Day 2-4: Three days of diving.
Day 5: Travel early to Moalboal(6-7hrs) and a late afternoon or even a night dive.
Day 6-8: Three days of diving.
Day 9: Diving but observe 24hrs no fly time.
Day 10: Home
Save Moalboal at the end because of superior fresh water for washing and there is no ferry to catch.

Last edited:
I'd also recommend Malapascua. Good for big stuff and macro. Centrals has suggested a decent itinerary...

Maybe also take a look at Dumagete for Dauin and Apo Island....

Wow, guys, thanks for the great suggestions!

@Centrals - that itinerary looks pretty amazing. I'm not 100% set on going to Moalboal - I had a friend who dove there last year so she recommended it.

It sounds like I definitely have to head to Malapascua.

If I do head there, should I skip Moalboal and head somewhere else/stay at Malapascua?

I ask because I've never been and want some opinions. I'm always researching it for myself, but it's nice to hear other people's experiences.

As always, thanks for the input!

I'd also recommend Malapascua. Good for big stuff and macro. Centrals has suggested a decent itinerary...

Maybe also take a look at Dumagete for Dauin and Apo Island....

I agree! If you have the luxury of time, you shouldn't miss Apo Island and/or Dauin.

Diving areas that I know around Cebu City:
1. Bohol(Panglo Island), ferry and land transfer.
2. Camotes Island, ferry from Cebu or Danao(1hr from Cebu).
3. Cebu City(Mactan Island).
4. Dumaguette and Apo Island, ferry or domestic flight.
5. Malapascua, land and ferry transfer.
6. Moalboal, land transfer.
7. Sipalay, ferry or domestic flight and land transfer.
8. Siquijor, long boat journey.
9. Southern Leyte, ferry and land transfer.

Getting to all those places is quite easy by public transport unless there is a typhoon around. BTW, august is low season.

Malapascua is a must do. Dauin is great. Apo Island I can take or leave.

Balicasag is certainly worth 2 or 4 dives but maybe not 5 days.

Malapascua gives Dauin a run for its macro money and more. Crinoid Squat Lobster pairs, Frogfish al over, Bobtail Squid, Coconut Vein Octopus, Ghost Pipefish to name but a few of the daily sightings.

And something called a Thresher Shark if you're into that kind of thing!!

Hey all!

Heading to Cebu in August and am looking for some suggestions.

I plan on going straight to Moalboal once I arrive. The thing is, I have 10 days to actually dive and am wondering if I should go to one other spot...

Any suggestions? I don't really want to waste a day traveling, but if there's somewhere near that's a must dive I'm all for it.

Thanks!

Going to Malapascua you will for sure waste 2 days days traveling, going there and coming back are both day trips.

I suggest contacts Jen or Charles at Mactan Dive Center, to take you to Nalusuan and Talima Sanctuary. Also Marigondon Cave which is accessed by just walking out of the beach. There are other spots but those are the high lights of diving from Mactan.

They also do day trips to Cabilao, Bohol by banca boat depending on the demand. But depending on how choppy the water is will depend on hour many hours there and back it will take. But could be worth it to dive in the sea cracks.

Going to Malapascua you will for sure waste 2 days days traveling, going there and coming back are both day trips.

Not necessarily, it just depends on how well you travel and how easily you get 'tired'. You can easily leave Cebu City early in the morning and be diving by lunch time (obviously it's best to contact the dive centre first). On your final day in cebu you can get in 3 dives and still make the last few boats without having to pay 'special price'.

Alternatively you could leave Malapascua early in the morning and make an afternoon or night dive at your next location.
At most you would lose a day, you won't lose two.

Nic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom