Trip Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alternatively you could leave Malapascua early in the morning and make an afternoon or night dive at your next location.
At most you would lose a day, you won't lose two.

Nic

Well from what I read I thought the next destination was Moalboal.

The way I counted it is:
Arriving in Cebu and traveling to Malapascua = 1 day of travel
Leaving Malapascua traveling to Moalboal = 1 day of travel.
Add those together and you get 2 days of travel.

But I made an agreement with myself when I joined this forum I would not get into arguments with anyone. So you are right, At most you would lose a day, you won't lose two.

It is all depend on mode of transport ie. private vs public.
The time of travelling is also important.
If you start very early in Cebu and using private transport, you can reach Malapascua in just over 3 hrs. And 6hrs from Malapascua to Moalboal. However, the total cost for all these private transfers will be horrendous ie about P11,000.00(US$260.00).
But if you would rather spend the money on something else and time is not an issue then do prepare to spend some more time on the transfer.

How deep is your pocket? But can you buy time with money?

I'll be arriving just before midnight on the 16th of August so I'm planning on taking the first bus (not private) to towards Malapascua. I've heard this is one of the best times to travel due to lower traffic. Can anyone give me any estimates based on that info??

Much appreciated.

@Centrals - you forgot to add "The journey is half the adventure"
Then again, I've never been to Malapascua!

I'll be arriving just before midnight on the 16th of August so I'm planning on taking the first bus (not private) to towards Malapascua. I've heard this is one of the best times to travel due to lower traffic. Can anyone give me any estimates based on that info??

Much appreciated.

@Centrals - you forgot to add "The journey is half the adventure"
Then again, I've never been to Malapascua!
"Getting there is half the fun" but the drive from Maya(port to Malapascua) to Moalboal is pretty PLAIN, nothing dramatic whatsoever.

3-4 hrs by bus and then you have to wait for the public boat to cross over. You are more than likely have to pay a small boat to take you to the bigger banca. It is always the "low tide" excuse!!!!! P20 per person and P20 for each luggage etc etc.

and the boat has gone up in price too, it is now P180, not P150.
While I was there the 150 signs came down but were not replaced, aaaand the tickets all still had P150 printed, but were scribbled over with P180.
The first time that they charged me 180, I paid 150 and was given a ticket, the guy at the counter didn;t seem to mind.
But another guy followed me on to the boat and demanded payment, I refused until he started picking up my rucksack to remove it from the boat.

I would have happily paid the price increase if they weren't so intent on scamming money out of tourists on the boat trips. I assumed it was another badly operated scam.
One girl on my boat had paid 150 that morning, but had to pay 180 to go back.
She was told one price before 12:00, one price after 12:00
Then I was told one price to Malapascua and one price to Maya.
Then a few days later it became apparent that the price had actually been increased.

The little boats are now P20... instead of P10. And another... P20 for each piece of luggage, which is fine, if you require help with it, in which case, depending on the item I might give them more. But for me to step on with a rucksack and then be asked for money is a bit dishonest. Or the ol' classic where there is a boat driver and a helper, and they both try to collect the boat fee.

At least when it's low tide I don;t have to witness obese tourists crawl up the wooden ladder and across the bow on all fours, bwhahaahah, actually, everyone should witness this, it's hilarious.

I believe the inconsistency in prices has been brought up with the mayor, who couldn;t really care less that people's last memory of malapascua is being ripped off by mayan boat drivers.

lalala
Nic

I assumed it was another badly operated scam.

One of the boat scams is they refuse to leave until the boat is full. Going there is not so bad if a bus arrives, but going back you can wait for hours until the boat is full. They will leave if you pay for the empty boat, then after you paid from out of nowhere all these locals will then get on the boat to go back to the mainland.

As a dive guide,my plan is to leave Texas to Cebu in early July for a (6) month dive adventure. I've been a working PADI DM for ten years traveling all over the Caribbean & Micronesia. I decided to head off to Malapascua Island for a long stay. Would that be a good start or should I go to Bohol or Moalboal or an someplace else? I do not really care for a macro stuff,more into big creatures, extreme current or good challenge. Also I would like to pick up some dive related work along the way just to break the boredom & reduce the bar tab. Any suggestions on dive shops,lodging,and locations would be more than welcome. My pocket book is decent but not over flowing..... (PM's are welcome)

"livng life without a hard bottom"
KT

I decided to head off to Malapascua Island for a long stay. Would that be a good start or should I go to Bohol or Moalboal or an someplace else?

Malapascua is too small of an island with limited supplies. It would be too quite for me for an extended stay. Most places turn off their generator at night so no power after a certain time. But for some people a small island and very quite is what they are looking for.

Panglao Island / Alona beach Bohol is nice with many dive operators, resorts, restos. Short ride to Tagbilaran City.

Moalboal also has many dive operators, resorts, restos. 2-3 hour ride to Cebu City but the nearest ATM Machine that I know of is in CarCar. ( 1 and half hours over the mountain).

For me my 1st choice would be Panglao Island / Alona beach Bohol only because the diving is good and the beaches are nice. Not too isolated with other attractions to explore on Bohol. But since you said you are into big creatures then of course Malapascua has the Threshers.

During your 6 month adventure you may also want to check out Dumaguete / Apo Island.

Malapascua is too small of an island with limited supplies. It would be too quite for me for an extended stay. Most places turn off their generator at night so no power after a certain time. But for some people a small island and very quite is what they are looking for.

fyi Malapascua has had 24hr power for 18months now. And hence we have a great night life at The Craic House :)

Back
Top Bottom