Cebu 7 days, where to dive? Malapascua and...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peter330

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there,
I am new to the board and came across the forum in googling on places go dive in in Cebu. I will be in Cebu for 7 days and have dived mostly in SE Asia and consider myself an intermediate diver. I am trying to decide on where to dive in Cebu and get the most of it. I will be going end of November.

I haven't seen any large pelagic stuff so I decided on Malapascua and originally thought I'd focus there for the week seeing as travelling to and from cuts out 2 days. I've already paid for a Nitrox course so I'm committed to be there but I can't help but feel like I am missing out on other sites like Moal Boal, or Bohol. How many days would you say is enough for Malapascua, and is it reasonable in thinking I can fit in one more location? What would you experienced divers recommend as another must dive spot if you felt you could fit it in?

Thanks in advance!

^
1. Malapascua ONLY.
2. 1 + Moalboal.

Even the private transfer takes time and a sizeable hole in your pocket. Serious.

Yeah if you're already in malapascua, you should probably stay there. During the summer they were seeing tigers as well as threshers. Moalboal will be most of a day to get to.
Although you can dive in Mactan/Lapu Lapu, the diving is better in malapascua and Moalboal but it's on your way from the airport 😊

I live in Moalboal, it's not bad, lots of turtles, decent coral and cheap. Malapascua is better and both are going to honestly take a day out of your schedule. Moalboal was devastated by Typhoon Odette a couple years ago but is certainly recovering. I have seen threshers here and turtles everyday. There's a sardine baitball or two for a shore-dive and a small cavern on a nearby islet.

I found Malapascua over-rated. It's not bad, you're pretty much guaranteed Threshers at that shoal. About 15 years ago I had a dive guide catch two blue ringed octopi and release them thinking I didn't know, because someone had asked which animal I wanted to see. That was actualy kind of cool. That same day, on a trip to an islet called Gatos, I saw white tip reef sharks as I emerged from a tunnel. I also jumped off the islet and gave myelf a headache because I was saturated but I was also younger and didn't care.

The reason I say it's over-rated is that twice while on that trip, I heard blasts from dynamite fishing and areas where coral should have been thriving were lifeless and full of ruble from years of that practice. There were hundreds of stray dogs on otherwise beautiful sandy beaches and all of these problems may well have been alleviated in the years since then, but there was also a massive storm 9 years ago, one of the biggest in recorded history, the eye of which passed over that island and more recently, the pandemic brought the economy to a complete stop.

Despite those conditions, I think it is still worth visiting and the aquatic habitat may have been given some reprieve by better practices but just temper your expecations. I have to add one last thing about Malapascua. There was an amazing dive day during my stay there which apparently, you can no longer experience from Malapascua. That was Kalanggaman Island which is absolutely stunning. The sand bar and the beach are pure bliss. The wall dive there was also outstanding and the habitat was some of the most pristine I have seen anywhere in the world which I would surmise is still the case. However, Kalaggaman is part of Leyte Province and that government has changed it so that they will receive the tax benefit from tourism for the islet, which from what I hear, means you can't visit it from Malapascua anymore.

If you're committed to it, your time would be best spent just enjoying it. If you can cancel it and want to try something else, check into Sumilon where you are guaranteed whalesharks. They feed them there. Or Moalboal, but if it were me in your shoes, I'd stick with the plan and go to Malapascua. If it were me in my shoes, I'd go to Siquijor or Panglao.

Either way, you know not to fly within a day after diving, so the only day you're "losing" is the first day. Now, I do have useful advice. If you are keen on getting off a plane a going diving at world-class dive sites, you are better off with Panglao, Bohol. There's an airport there now. Stay around Alona Beach within walking distance to the diveshops and be sure to see Balicasag Island. Another option is Coron. There, you also have plenty of options very near the airport, including some of the best wreck diving in the world and stunning natural beauty.

Given your short time why not just stick with Malapascua since a transfer will eat up precious dive time? A transfer is going to eat up a half day at least. Moalboal would be the easiest and quickest if you really want to dive another area.
Malapascua and Malapascua only : impressive !
I was not so much impressed by Moalboal and its sardines run.

I live in Moalboal, it's not bad, lots of turtles, decent coral and cheap. Malapascua is better and both are going to honestly take a day out of your schedule. Moalboal was devastated by Typhoon Odette a couple years ago but is certainly recovering. I have seen threshers here and turtles everyday. There's a sardine baitball or two for a shore-dive and a small cavern on a nearby islet.

I found Malapascua over-rated. It's not bad, you're pretty much guaranteed Threshers at that shoal. About 15 years ago I had a dive guide catch two blue ringed octopi and release them thinking I didn't know, because someone had asked which animal I wanted to see. That was actualy kind of cool. That same day, on a trip to an islet called Gatos, I saw white tip reef sharks as I emerged from a tunnel. I also jumped off the islet and gave myelf a headache because I was saturated but I was also younger and didn't care.

The reason I say it's over-rated is that twice while on that trip, I heard blasts from dynamite fishing and areas where coral should have been thriving were lifeless and full of ruble from years of that practice. There were hundreds of stray dogs on otherwise beautiful sandy beaches and all of these problems may well have been alleviated in the years since then, but there was also a massive storm 9 years ago, one of the biggest in recorded history, the eye of which passed over that island and more recently, the pandemic brought the economy to a complete stop.

Despite those conditions, I think it is still worth visiting and the aquatic habitat may have been given some reprieve by better practices but just temper your expecations. I have to add one last thing about Malapascua. There was an amazing dive day during my stay there which apparently, you can no longer experience from Malapascua. That was Kalanggaman Island which is absolutely stunning. The sand bar and the beach are pure bliss. The wall dive there was also outstanding and the habitat was some of the most pristine I have seen anywhere in the world which I would surmise is still the case. However, Kalaggaman is part of Leyte Province and that government has changed it so that they will receive the tax benefit from tourism for the islet, which from what I hear, means you can't visit it from Malapascua anymore.

If you're committed to it, your time would be best spent just enjoying it. If you can cancel it and want to try something else, check into Sumilon where you are guaranteed whalesharks. They feed them there. Or Moalboal, but if it were me in your shoes, I'd stick with the plan and go to Malapascua. If it were me in my shoes, I'd go to Siquijor or Panglao.

Either way, you know not to fly within a day after diving, so the only day you're "losing" is the first day. Now, I do have useful advice. If you are keen on getting off a plane a going diving at world-class dive sites, you are better off with Panglao, Bohol. There's an airport there now. Stay around Alona Beach within walking distance to the diveshops and be sure to see Balicasag Island. Another option is Coron. There, you also have plenty of options very near the airport, including some of the best wreck diving in the world and stunning natural beauty.
I've been to Moalboal 4 times now, most recently this summer, but that was the first time since 2019. It is much different, but I had a good chat about it with my friend Koz and she said that she sees the reef recovering more and more all the time.

My first dive there was shocking, just south of the shops (forget the site). But each other dive and Pescador were still decent at depth. Sardines were still there, turtles every dive, and still good diving. If you've never seen it before Odette, then you wouldn't even think anything would have been wrong.

I'll end up going back in a few years and see how things have progressed, but it seems like most still have a very positive outlook.

Damn I miss Cam and the CDC though!

Thanks for all the feedback I was initially drawn to Bohol/Baliscasag but the possibility to see Threshers won me over. I just wanted to see if it was reasonable to think I could fit in somewhere else and if there was enough feedback that it certainly was I'd make an attempt.

I'm a little discouraged on the weather outlook however. I was optimistic but looking at the weather this week it just looks like rain and probably strong currents. Still hoping it can change in a couple weeks but it's looking less that will be the case.

I'll certainly look into Kalanggaman Island it's still on the pricing lists of some of the resorts so maybe still possible? Just hoping there's enough divers to make the trip possible!

@peter330
Unless there is a low-pressure/tropical storm/typhoon around the area otherwise you should be fine with diving.

Full moon on 27th Nov so you should expect a bit of current around that time but nothing to worry about.

Malapascua and Malapascua only : impressive !
I was not so much impressed by Moalboal and its sardines run.
I first went Moalboal in Nov 2011 when the Sardines are still at Pescador Island. Very big ball and impressive. The 2nd time I went in May 2016, the sardines are in front of saverdra but due to shallower water, the viz is not good and still impressive balls. The last time I went in Nov 2022 with the LOB, they are not there when we dived at Moalboal. I heard Sardine has come back but less now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom