Tri-split fins .. soon to appear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't recall people bashing people for using split fins. It's the informercial "claims" that people take issue with...
No, it's the splits themselves that these threads, and comments, perpetually take issue with ad nauseam, regardless of how you'd care to characterize it... A topic on tri-splits, or a new Scuba lab test, only serves as another excuse to start the condescension. And, by simple association it belittles, and demeans, those that have made them a personal choice.

Asinine comments such as "I think (for maximum propulsion and efficiency) boats should have their propellers replaced with a split fin that is attached to a paint shaker," are of little value other than to intimidate new, inquisitive, divers/posters into silence.

I couldn't care less about anyone else's opinion of what I deem most appropriate for me, however, the non-stop ragging on splits, is not only not funny any longer, but it's become exorbitantly tired, as well as a discussion stifling force on this board for those that use them, or might even want to *try* using them.

If you've tried them, and don't like them... you don't want to use them... then don't. If you've *never* used them, or perfected the kick that makes them viable, then don't comment on their practicality. However, there's obviously a common denominator here, and tangible value, for those that do REGARDLESS of what "science" makes them work: whether it's cramping, older or injured hips/knees, or just ease of use for rec diving... Allow us our idiosyncratic choices without being subject to all the vitriolic bias, in the name of levity. Every manufacturer on the planet takes liberties in hyping their product... why should fins be any different?

Rant over...

No, it's the splits themselves that these threads, and comments, perpetually take issue with ad nauseam, regardless of how you'd care to characterize it... A topic on tri-splits, or a new Scuba lab test, only serves as another excuse to start the condescension. And, by simple association it belittles, and demeans, those that have made them a personal choice.
I agree with most of what you said, but I disagree that I started this thread to start condescending split users, of which I am a very proud member. No, this thread was started because I saw some science that I thought might have some bearing on human propulsion in the ocean.

I added a wink in the first post because I knew I was jumping into a potential controversy, but that's what discussion is about. I do agree that people who have never used them should not comment as their opinions are really worthless regarding how splits actually work for someone.

I do not believe that I should refrain from posting information that may be interesting to a community because it might engender some bashing.

If a new diver was to read through this thread they would see a majority of posters saying, they used them, they like them. A few saying, they used them, they didn't like them.
Then you have that category of poster that takes an idea and moves it to an extreme to make fun of it (spaghetti fins, duct tape, etc) . Hopefully, nobody is going to take them seriously. I think the ideas are funny. I laugh at them. I hope others do too. I understand, though, why some might think they aren't funny any more.

I agree 100% that the number of dives a person makes should not matter, however, the number of fins a person has used does matter, the more dives with each fin, the better the evaluation.

I agree with most of what you said, but I disagree that I started this thread to start condescending split users, of which I am a very proud member. No, this thread was started because I saw some science that I thought might have some bearing on human propulsion in the ocean.
Don't misunderstand... It's rarely the original intent of the OP/first post that creates the issues (although, you're right, it can certainly set the stage). Unfortunately, it's the exploitation of the topic that takes the thread down.

I do not believe that I should refrain from posting information that may be interesting to a community because it might engender some bashing.
I agree... see above.

I agree 100% that the number of dives a person makes should not matter, however, the number of fins a person has used does matter, the more dives with each fin, the better the evaluation.
Amen.

Guys:

When I queried number of dives, I also queried what fins. Since 1973 I have dived with 17 fins. (during lunch I started scratching) 14 within the past 11 years. 5 of the fins I only had 1 to 2 dives (borrowed or loaned by the LDS's) The rest saw at least 10 dives before I shined them on.

11 years ago, I started looking for lighter more "modern" fins. Prior to that I had been using Jets, Rockets and another clone I cannot recall. The jets were by far the best. In fact I would still dive them occasionally up until a few years ago.

I have culled my quiver down to USD original Blades, Oceanic Carribe full foot paddle, Cressi Gara long blade free diving fins and Atomic Smokes. My favorite for SCUBA are the original Blades and the Cressi's. Thing with the Cressi's is they are LONG on a dive boat. It usually takes an extra step to don them at the platform. The Oceanics are a little too floppy. The Smokes are good for my injury (but they do end up snagging stuff between the blades.)

My PT has been pretty successful and I hope to use the Blades again this summer. Just wish they were not as negative as they are, particularly with the spring straps.

FTR, I am not bashing paddles. I have 3 sets (and a pair of Force Fins; forgot about them. I'll give them another shot). I just don't like the split fin bashing, particularly when people say they don't work. They are more efficient than paddles in my experience with 17 fins over nearly 40 years. They are not as precise, I clearly admit.

If anyone says he has never seen split fin bashing here, he has not been on the board as much as I have.

rant off

edit: oops 18 fins

Last edited:
No, it's the splits themselves that these threads, and comments, perpetually take issue with ad nauseam, regardless of how you'd care to characterize it...

If anyone says he has never seen split fin bashing here, he has not been on the board as much as I have.

You are both perfectly right - any diver who admits to any or all of the following is in for a bashing on SB:

• split fins
  • BC (esp. w/integrated weights and padded straps with sternum strap)
  • pony bottle
  • spare air
  • retractors for gauges and octo

I have personally tried to remain "objective" but sometimes I fall short.

You are both perfectly right - any diver who admits to any or all of the following is in for a bashing on SB:

• split fins
  • BC (esp. w/integrated weights and padded straps with sternum strap)
  • pony bottle
  • spare air
  • retractors for gauges and octo

I have personally tried to remain "objective" but sometimes I fall short.

You forgot to mention Air II (integrated octo inflator) :D

So... what would the old, late 60's early 70's Waterlung "707" fins be? force, paddle, jet or other?

I'm thinking of taking a pair out next dive...

I would put them in the same category as a Jet Fin clone.

There were lots of them.

For you people who have admonished me, FYI, no diver who dives splits has ever demeaned a diver who uses paddles.

Incorrect. As to if (or why) anyone would care, I can't answer.

People that like flippers as opposed to split fins are stuck in a rut and will want to sell you flat earth memberships as well.

Incorrect. As to if (or why) anyone would care, I can't answer.

Check out RJP's pic above for one. How many times have they been called broken or damaged fins? I thought this was beaten to death, so I won't bother dredging up some of the threads.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom