Tri-split fins .. soon to appear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yawn.
Guys the paddle v. propeller was a metaphor. Time was, people did not believe a heavier than air craft would ever fly.

Let me think..presently, I have 3 sets of paddle fins in my closet and one set of splits. (and a pair of Force Fins). I have been diving since 1973. With Jets. I just think it is crap when some people choose to ridicule and bully divers who use splits. I abhor bullies. It is a defect in my make up I guess, I feel compelled to make these posts.

Paddles work, but so do splits. For you people who have admonished me, FYI, no diver who dives splits has ever demeaned a diver who uses paddles. It is always the (I can't think of the proper adjective) diver who must internet ridicule some (usually new) diver about his choice of fins.

I have more paddles than splits. Again..don't tell me that splits don't work! I got hurt several years ago, never mind. You've heard it before.

And my background is civil/structural, not fluid dynamics (although I was originally an AE major), so I cannot speak to the claims in the marketing. But for me, (anecdotal to you), splits do perform.

Neither. It is clearly your fault for throwing the match. Metaphorically of course.

There you go! You support my earlier comments. There is an ill advised, narrow minded group who enjoy flaming, particularly when it come s to fins.

May I ask, how long Underwater and diverdoug have been diving? How many dives? What fins have you used? Sheesh!

I don't feel like repeating myself, but, give it a break.

Again. Never seen a post ridiculing divers who use paddles. Quite the contrary.

Hi, I'm DiveProf and I'm a ..split fin fan......
OK , still have my Jet Fins and dive them, and an old pair of Blades.
But I've dove Scuba Pro Twin Jets and Apollo Biofin pro (not the XT or C -they XXXC! - not as nice)
I'm looking for a 12 fin stroke program as I'm under the impression that these two are ok - and:whack: I like'um. This MUST be wrong:no:
I need a sponsor....

May I ask, how long Underwater and diverdoug have been diving? How many dives? What fins have you used? Sheesh!

I don't feel like repeating myself, but, give it a break.

2 years, 115 dives. As far as fins I've used, I've used the mares raptors, apollo biofins, mares quattros and Hollis F1's. My position on splits has been clear...I don't like em, but to anyone who does that's fine. Maybe as time goes on I will end up gravitating to splits, but for the time being, I've used em and I don't like em.

I've made 2 negative comments; 1 pertained to the addition of more splits, so it wasn't an attack on split fins per se, it was an attack on the idea of multiple splits. My second negative comment pertained to your metaphor, and the attack wasn't based on a hatred of splits, it was based on your metaphor being stupid. Actually I should say "the metaphor" since it isn't really yours...just something you heard somewhere and have regurgitated here. As far as your "give it a break" comment, you're attempting to tout the superiority of the split over the paddle via your steamboat vs. propeller analogy, so maybe you shoud heed your own give-it-a-break advice.

Tim,
I think that the vast majority of people posting here are tolerant of other people's choices. Some folks who have never used splits have heard and buy into a myth that splits don't work well. It doesn't matter. It has become a dogmatic argument. Most people who join the argument now are doing so with levity.

Some folks have expressed their reluctance to accept the 'pseudo-scientific' explanation for why splits work. There is some merit in that argument as some of the marketing seems to have been written by people who don't really understand what they are writing. Not that many of us would understand anyway.

You asked, so I have been diving for 6 years (about 250 dives in varied conditions) and have been using Apollo Biofin Pro splits for about 4 years. I started with ScubaPro Jets and found that they caused me to have cramps quite often. As I mentioned in a previous post, I like the splits a lot, can move as fast or slow as I want and can turn on a dime and can use them with a dry suit or just shorts. I actually have a larger pair for my drysuit use.

I created this little gif a few years back.. looks like it is time to bring it back out.

fins2.gif

I don't recall people bashing people for using split fins. It's the informercial "claims" that people take issue with.
I have no problem with split fins. Not really my thing, but I don't care much either way.
The "nature's wing", and testamonials of minimum effort gaining you maximum thrust, and other such claims start to get pretty silly.
But if you like them, go for it.
As I've already stated, they all "work" just adapt your kick style to stay in the sweet spot.

I don't see how the number of dives a person has makes their opinion less valid.

Most people can probably form an opinion on them after a few tries with them.

How many dives does someone have to have before they are allowed to have an opinion on whether or not they can not like split fins???
I missed your point on that one.

-Mitch

Kinda repeating myself but my wife knows sod all about Scuba. But she does know what feels comfortable to her. At the end of the day aint that what its all about? being comfortable/relaxed in the water?

Back
Top Bottom