Tri-split fins .. soon to appear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, it's the splits themselves that these threads, and comments, perpetually take issue with ad nauseam, regardless of how you'd care to characterize it... A topic on tri-splits, or a new Scuba lab test, only serves as another excuse to start the condescension. And, by simple association it belittles, and demeans, those that have made them a personal choice.

Check out RJP's pic above for one. How many times have they been called broken or damaged fins? I thought this was beat to death, so I want bother dredging up some of the threads.

On here it does tend to be fairly one sided. There are a few who like to maintain that paddle fins are antiquated and their users behind the times, but it's a minority to be certain.

In the real world, I've noticed the opposite. Users of gear that has recently been stigmatized as "techy" (most significantly backplates and jet types of fins) tend to be targets of snide remarks.

Again, not sure why said users should care. If it works for you and doesn't break the budget, great.

Calling manufacturers on their BS I'd another story.

Split fins look funny.

I like funny.:D

Attachments

• clownshoes.gif
    clownshoes.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 51
For me it's super simple. Knowing how to do a back-kick makes diving a lot better and split fins aren't any good for doing it, end of story.

For me it's super simple. Knowing how to do a back-kick makes diving a lot better and split fins aren't any good for doing it, end of story.
Well put.
It's super simple for me, as well. Knowing I can dive without a previously torn calf giving me hell, makes diving a lot better, and paddles aren't any good for doing it.
End of story...

Right respective tool for the right respective job...

Well put.
It's super simple for me, as well. Knowing I can dive without a previously torn calf giving me hell, makes diving a lot better, and paddles aren't any good for doing it.
End of story...

Right respective tool for the right respective job...

Just drink the kool-aid - your torn calf will feel better. :)

I hear you BKP - you want the right tool for the job, and "the right tool" might vary from individual to individual. Then again, some individuals may be tools...

On here it does tend to be fairly one sided. There are a few who like to maintain that paddle fins are antiquated and their users behind the times, but it's a minority to be certain.

In the real world, I've noticed the opposite. Users of gear that has recently been stigmatized as "techy" (most significantly backplates and jet types of fins) tend to be targets of snide remarks.

I think not. I still see more paddles than splits. I have said at least 2 times in this thread, maybe 3, that I prefer paddles over splits.

As for the BPW, They are becoming more main stream, particularly with the internet phenomenon of which SB is a contributor.

I've been diving a BPW for 5 or 6 years. Lots of inquiries. I would discuss it with people who were very receptive. Today, I am seeing more and more BPW divers. And look at the mainstream manufacturers. USD markets them, Zeagle Markets them. Oceanic markets them. Scubapro markets them. And OMS, Dive Rite, DSS, Oxycheq.

Have you seen the "poodle jacket" posts? Never seen anybody demean a BPW, but have seen lots of "poodle jacket" threads.

Are you on the same forum as I?

Snide remarks? Are you kidding?

I don't give a crap who dives what.

Have you seen the "poodle jacket" posts? Never seen anybody demean a BPW, but have seen lots of "poodle jacket" threads.

Are you on the same forum as I?

Yes I am. Yet note I was talking about the real world, i.e. not internet forums.

That's what I observed while traveling: take Scubaboard common themes and flip them 180. Though it should be said i haven't traveled to dive much and maybe it is not representative.

I don't give a crap who dives what.

+1
I'll say it again: if it works for you and fits the budget, have at it.

Based on this new research How fish swim | Harvard Gazette I predict a new fin design. Tri-split or double-split fins.:wink:

Not a tri-split or a double-split fin.

[QUOTE“We knew the dorsal and anal fins are very important for balance, and although a locomotory role was suspected, we have only now been able to show that they also play a big part in locomotion,” Flammang said.[/QUOTE]

Here's my idea.... we'll see two extra fins.

Wear one fin on your dorsal and one fin on your anal. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom