Tri-split fins .. soon to appear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll try 'em. :)

I have more fins than Carter has lift bags.

Great now the threads will read about traditional split fins vs double split fins.

I am not against split fins (although I wouldn't buy a pair) and I can't prove that they don't improve swimming efficiency (although I seriously doubt it). What I do object to is stupid marketing. The fins are sold as being bio-inspired, modeled after the design which nature has selected. I say BS. In the water I have nothing in common with sailfish, marlin, or wahoo so giving me fins that resemble their tails (more on that later) is pointless. In fact, I need a propulsion mechanism suited to my agility and grace in the water - perhaps something modeled on a turtle or a manatee...

As far as I can discern, the fastest fish in the ocean are:
  1. Sailfish
  2. Marlin
  3. Wahoo
  4. Tunny
  5. Bluefish tuna
  6. Great blue shark
  7. Bonefish
  8. Swordfish
You know what? NONE of them have tails that in any way resemble split fins. Sell them if you want, wear them if you want, but stop insulting my intelligence by telling me that such a design resembles the tail of a fast fish, and that such a device is suited for a human.

Christ, just shoot me, now.

Split fins are the scuba industry equivalent of the diet pill.

...sounds like you're really gonna love it when they come out with a 'hinged' or 'power bands' version... :)

I am not against split fins (although I wouldn't buy a pair) and I can't prove that they don't improve swimming efficiency (although I seriously doubt it). What I do object to is stupid marketing. The fins are sold as being bio-inspired, modeled after the design which nature has selected. I say BS. In the water I have nothing in common with sailfish, marlin, or wahoo so giving me fins that resemble their tails (more on that later) is pointless. In fact, I need a propulsion mechanism suited to my agility and grace in the water - perhaps something modeled on a turtle or a manatee...

As far as I can discern, the fastest fish in the ocean are:
  1. Sailfish
  2. Marlin
  3. Wahoo
  4. Tunny
  5. Bluefish tuna
  6. Great blue shark
  7. Bonefish
  8. Swordfish
You know what? NONE of them have tails that in any way resemble split fins. Sell them if you want, wear them if you want, but stop insulting my intelligence by telling me that such a design resembles the tail of a fast fish, and that such a device is suited for a human.

Sailfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuna

Back
Top Bottom