Travel Bag? I found a great one!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoatanMan:
I push it to the limit of 70#.

Hey there Mr. RoatanMan,

Just thought you might me interested. On a recent trip to Belize, the American Airlines customer service agent said that as of March 1st, Baggage allotments have been dropped to 50 pounds per bag, 2 checked bags per person. This now even holds true even for the international flights. Other airlines may be different, or for American, maybe she didn't know what she was talking about, but I'd hate for anyone to be stuck with the extra fees for heavy dive gear. Dive safe, Ken :42:

There was some baggage-related thread recently that talked about this. Apparently at least some U.S. airlines give you a heftier weight allowance if you declare you have scuba gear. I forgot the details.

Good info. Campmor now has Red in stock for the same price, $59.95 plus $5.95 shipping.... I grabbed 36 inch bag. It is a really huge, but I don't mind the size at all because it isn't a hand carry bag, but a check in luggage for a frequent international travel.:wink:

[font=바탕] [/font]

capybara:
The Guide Gear one doesn't look like it has the side pockets or the backpack straps like the High Sierra one that RoatanMan recommended.

Even though the High Sierra Bag is sold out on Sportsman Guide, there are still other places to get it for a few bucks more. I know because I finally broke down and bought a couple. If you want blue, it's $59.97 at www.campmor.com. Red or black or blue for $69.95 at www.sierratradingpost.com.

This bag is the AT Gear Classic High Sierra AT102, it lists dimensions 36x16x14 in. and some sites say the capacity is 8060 cu. in. I weighed the bag and it is 9.8 lb. It looks like it has been discontinued and replaced by the AT Gear Access AT202, which for some reason lists larger dimensions of 36x20x14 but has smaller capacity of 6588 cu. in. The cheapest online for that model is about $120. It also comes in microsuede (MT202) but that looks too fancy for wet dive gear. Check out www.hssc.com.

Just got my bag, it looks pretty nice. It has a mesh pocket along the top of the drop-bottom compartment, and the backpack straps are thick and zip away behind a padded flap for check-in. The handle has two locking positions. Looks well-made. Can't wait to try it on our Big Island trip next week! Thanks for the tip, RoatanMan.

RoatanMan:
I can not, when in a Salvation Army store, walk by any Halliburton or Anvil case without rubbing it. If "Herself" is with me, she scowls until I walk past it.

Then I come back later and buy it.

There's got to be some psychological issue, here.

Whoa! I want to shop at your Salvation Army Stores! Where is it that they have Halliburton or Anvil cases at the Salvation Army?! I too am a container fanatic. Should we start a support group? :wink:

In 2003, I traveled with United and connected to Malysia Air to get to SE Asia.

I had a bag they classified as oversize and overweight (about like the bag Roatanman is talking about)..............it was over a few inches and about 8lbs overweight..........

the charge for the oversize, overweight bag, you ask?

$300US ...yes........OUCH! The bag now site in my basement and holds spare gear!

and.......no chance to repack.......the rest of the luggage was sent out on the conveyor belt!

shep

Shep,

I am sure that the main reason you were caught was the overweight, not oversize at first. Like I said, they are not generous about the weight because it is highly related with the fuel consumption. The size issue is much flexible. How did I know,,,, I did all the times and never overweighted my luggage. Smart AXX!:wink:

shep:
In 2003, I traveled with United and connected to Malysia Air to get to SE Asia.

I had a bag they classified as oversize and overweight (about like the bag Roatanman is talking about)..............it was over a few inches and about 8lbs overweight..........

the charge for the oversize, overweight bag, you ask?

$300US ...yes........OUCH! The bag now site in my basement and holds spare gear!

and.......no chance to repack.......the rest of the luggage was sent out on the conveyor belt!

shep

Been looking for a reasonable priced bag. Thanks for the info.

For flying I would always recommend a hard case. I have done hundred's of air flights with all types of bags. Your precious gear has the best chance of arriving undamaged, on your flight, etc, if it is in an easy to recognise hard suitcase with a locking strap through the handel. Do not have any dive stickers on the outside, or any indication that the contents is valuable. Yes it's harder to pack, not as convienent, no usefull pockets, but it won't get stolen, ramsacked for valuables etc.
I include a large string bag for my gear once I have arrived, easy to get to and from boats etc.

Some other thoughts for bags and airflights.
Write your initials in indelible ink, large letters 6 inches, clearly visible on both sides of your case.
I have a leather belt, with a small padlock which goes around the case through the handell. This guarantees I know if the case has been opened since I last saw it, not for extra security, and makes it easier to spot on the carousel.
Do not put your home address or home phone number, just your mobile number then they can contact you where ever you are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom