Travel Bag? I found a great one!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I didn't think this belonged in any other forum...

Need a great bag to travel with for $55? These are huge (36x16x14), have multiple compartments, and wheels with extendable handle and backpack style straps as well.

For those of you who know me, you know that I only accept the best in terms of gear... I have spent my life doing R&D and T&E for various corporations and inventors... in short? I destroy stuff for a fee.

These are the best I have ever seen, and now I've found them at a closeout price.

Read about them at http://www.hssc.com/index.php4?page=shop/flypage&product_id=9&category_id=9

600-denier and 1,800 x 1,200-denier Duralite® polyester is extra durable
One-stage locking telescoping handle
In-line skate wheels with corner protectors
Full-length drop bottom compartment, great for separating shoes and wet, dirty clothes
End pockets with top-load opening for easy access
Zip-out flap reveals backpack straps
Measures 36 x 16 x 14". 8,064 cu. in. capacity.

Recessed, one-stage locking telescope handle

In-line skate style wheels with corner protectors

Spacious main compartment with large wrap-around zippered opening

End pockets with zippered top-loading openings

Drop-bottom compartment

Front and back compression straps keep contents secure

Duffel top has an elastic shock cord to hold travel accessories

Hidden backpack straps are stored behind a padded zippered back compartment

Molded grab handle with High Sierra logo

Carry handles with hook/loop closure hand grip

Buy them at

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=162047 for $55. Sportsman's Guide has been doing mail order catalogs for many years. It's a reliable company.

These are just the best I have aver found, I would estimate that we have made 10 r.t.'s on TACA to Roatan and several to the Mid and Western Pacific... no appreciable wear or deterioration

Just as I spread the word about things I like such as diving, I would like people to know about these as well.

"Ahhh- there goes the unruly mob! I must leave now- for to go and lead them!" -Alexandre Ladru-Rollin

always love a good deal! :) As a new diver... this question... is this the kind of bag we could pack for a boat? When we fly to Mexico, we split the gear up into a variety of bags, but once there, need something to consolidate it for a day of diving.... but not a suitcase that will take over the boat. Something like this???

They used to carry those at Costco, and I bought one in June or July 2004 for just under $40. Nice bag.

Wristshot

AmyJ:
always love a good deal! :) As a new diver... this question... is this the kind of bag we could pack for a boat? When we fly to Mexico, we split the gear up into a variety of bags, but once there, need something to consolidate it for a day of diving.... but not a suitcase that will take over the boat. Something like this???

I always opt for mesh bags. I have a mesh side loading duffel bag with carry straps, and lots of smaller net mesh bags for sperating stuff.

Mesh bags can be bought at high price or for cheap. Huge ones? Look at sporting/hunting shops at huge decoy carrying bags, or at MallWart in the laundry section for laundry bags.

Skip the hardshell camera cases. They are not only clunky and dangerous, but the concept is that you are keeping the salt water out of them, not letting the foam soak up the bad stuff by bringing it into exposure.

Mesh bags are also valuable as cockroach barriers- the little devils have an acquired taste for silicone. Go figure. So leave your mask (etc) in one and protect your mouthpiece by sticking the second stage inside and cinching down the cord.

They can be used as a one unit Dunk-o-Matic device at the rinse tank.

And mesh bags travel extremely light!

so.. you would use this bag to carry your stuff when???

don't get me wrong... it looks great and I am a bag ADDICT!!!! just trying to be practical. If I don't want to put all of my gear together for the flight... and want to use mesh going to the boat....??:06: And open to recommendations for those portions of the trip (flight, to the boat..)

BTW... looking for a nice, not too big backpack for the laptop, digital cam, video cam while doing the airport thing... do you all pack your houseing or carry it...

Sorry to hijack! :(

AmyJ:
so.. you would use this bag to carry your stuff when???

don't get me wrong... it looks great and I am a bag ADDICT!!!! just trying to be practical. If I don't want to put all of my gear together for the flight...QUOTE]

I woulda hoped this had stayed under the travel section- it is suitcase talk, not bag talk, but this forum listing will do.

Amy- I think you travel light. We are usualy on the road for two weeks, so between our dive gear and flashlights and "general stuff"... not to mention the things that we drag along for our dive op hosts. (We have schlepped a microwave oven to Roatan and a DVD player to Ecuador... and that's just the start!)

Between the two of us, we wheel 4 of these bags thru the airport. Take them on a boat? Not me, altho I 'spose you could. I could see them being of great use for diving that requires a "lot of parts" ... maybe drysuit or ?

No, we like them just for airline travel. The wheels, the handle, the stiff base and sides seem to be a real plus.

If I'm day boat/dory diving, I'll take a number of smaller to medium mesh bags, anything with a shoulder strap... NEVER be forced to carry anything in your hands!

Carry a housing? Why not? But if you do, skip the pellican case. Why carry the weight and lose all that cubic capacity. Pelli cases are designed to be stuffed inside of duffels and checked through. This duffel conceals the value and protects the case. I use what is called an "Aircrewman's Bag", easily found at Surplus Stores, etc.

You, Amy, may be a bag addict, but I have a bag (and container) fetish. Is it wrong?

RoatanMan:
You, Amy, may be a bag addict, but I have a bag (and container) fetish. Is it wrong?
That may be, but I'm really betting I could give you a run for your money!!! :)

AmyJ:
That may be, but I'm really betting I could give you a run for your money!!! :)

I dunno- but I'd like to try. Just be warned- I got boxes to hold my bags. I can not, when in a Salvation Army store, walk by any Halliburton or Anvil case without rubbing it. If "Herself" is with me, she scowls until I walk past it.

Then I come back later and buy it.

There's got to be some psychological issue, here.

Wristshot:
They used to carry those at Costco, and I bought one in June or July 2004 for just under $40. Nice bag.
Wristshot

While we hopped on over to Costco to gawk at the flat screen tv's, we also chatted with our pal that manages the night stocking crew- he showed us that $40 bag- they still carry it. It is nice, but nowhere near the bag mentioned above- in terms of size as well as durability.

We still haven't bought the flat screen, but did notice they had several dive watches, including the Casio analog/digital combo $48 (!) , a cool u/w depth/altimeter/compass type ($140?) and then there was the $1400 whatchamacallit brand. I'll keep using my battered Luminox, I 'spose.

Happy bubbles, y'all.

Thanks Roatan Man! I had a bag similar to this that we loved. We packed 2 BCs, 2 Wetsuits, 2 sets of fins, 2 masks (in hard cases), and 2 mesh bags (for the boats) for many trips. We did have to pay overweight charges once going to Little Cayman, but it was terrific. We carry our regulators and Nikonos on board in a small rolling/backpack contraption. I am going to buy one of these since the old one is getting a bit beat up.

Amy - we use mesh bags for the boats and a large rolling duffel for the planes. Hope this helps.

TrainerAW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom