Travel Bag? I found a great one!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iainwilliams:
Roatan Man;

Hi - Just saw the bag thread - interesting.

I'm using a Ralf Tech bag and am not at all impressed with it. Straps tore out after 2 overseas trips.

The bag you are discussing. How much weight to do you normally carry in it??

Thanks..........Iain (Australia)

Hi there! Am quite surprise to hear about the straps tearing out after 2 overseas trips. I am currently using the 2 models of the Ralf Tech dive bags: X-Treme Vortex (150L) & Expedition Black Semi-Dry 60L, both works very well to date. Been with the bags to Sipadan (Malaysia), Derawan (Indonesia), Phuket (Thailand) and Liveaboards without any issues.

Had the Vortex packed to about 39 kg worth of diving equipment on one of the long haul trips and it came back in one good shape with the exception of how the airline baggage handlers handled the loading and unloading (minor scratches). Other than that, the Semi-Dry 60L too survived the check in to the airlines.

You could try to bring it back to the retailer that you bought from as I understand that the Ralf Tech brand has quite a good warranty program.

Btw, which model of the Ralf Tech bag did you have?

cheers!

Btw, which model of the Ralf Tech bag did you have?

I have the RT EXP 90 expedition dry bag which is excellent and I have not had a hassle with it.

The bag that has not lived up to its standard is the fly and carry roll bag 130 ltr. The zippers do not flow easily and the top of the bag has ripped where the zippers are located. The weight of the bag is in the order of 27 kilos when packed. I've since had the bag repaired, but it still is showing wear and tear in the repaired zipper area.

Ralf Tech when I complained told me to mail it to them in the US from Australia. The cost to mail is in the order of $70.00 - therefore, it's hardly worth it!

This is why I ams earching for a decent bag!..................Iain

Damnn,, the bag sold out, I'm urgently needing a travel bag for my next trip to Puerto Galera in May 05, anyone interesting ????? Will share the Transport from Manila to Puerto etc but not buddy breathing. LOL…

liberato:
"Sorry, item is sold out."

liberato,

That bag may be sold on on Sportsman Guide but they have another bag with almost the same exact specifications available. It is their Sportsman's Guide own "brand name" called Guide Gear and goes for $50. Here is the link:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=169813

Rickg

bondasik:
Damnn,, the bag sold out, I'm urgently needing a travel bag for my next trip to Puerto Galera in May 05, anyone interesting ????? Will share the Transport from Manila to Puerto etc but not buddy breathing. LOL…

Hi - have dived here before? How would you rate the diving out of 10? Iain

iainwilliams:
Hi - have dived here before? How would you rate the diving out of 10? Iain
Hi Iain,
Sorry I can't gave the rate regarding the Puerto Galera yet, cause that is my next destination for my dive trip, but I’ve done lot's of research on the net. Here is my conclusion. Seem like the diving we're awesome more than 30 sites can be easy access between 10-30 minutes boat ride. My main objective is to find the Pigmy seahorse (the first priority), Manta, whale shark and other is a plus, as I've already seen them from the last 2 years on my double visit to exmouth. Seem like many people using the Atlantis as their dive operator good review & service from the forum, but the rates are dearer than other dive operator, as they provided with fancy room w/ aircon & all 5 star service. Don't really mind the price if I’m a very very busy person who work all year and only have 1 week to spend for play. LOL :wink: . But my travel time is flexible, as I got 21 days visas to stay in the Philippines. And my trip is not just Puerto Galera, as I really eager need to go to Malapascua Island near Cebu to find Theshes shark (God, such a beauty Creature can’t wait to find it). Apo Island & Coron Island is an extra option if I’ve still got extra time on my 21 days trip to Filipino. So conclusion is many dive operator in PG gave a good service & competitive price (as they using $US or Euro as their pricing and is it quite dearer after you converted to OZ$), as they we’re many dive operator on the region without the 5 star room, food & service. Probably I will go with Action Diver, VIP Diver or Big Apple(There many Dive Operator in PG just have to be smart to choose :crafty: & ask around). Maybe will go with Atlantis for 2 days just for taste of 5 star hotel. LOL..Just for my personal reference, Diving is my first priority, service, food or even poor service(Will tell them to Bugger off :11ztongue ) is just a plus, at the end of the days when you’re down there and see those beautiful, unique & the most magnificent creature as you can’t imagine, that the most valuable memorable that you can’t erase for the rest of your life. LOL.. Oh yeah, my last year trip to dive in Tassy (Eagle Hawks & Bicheno) is quite disappointed, as I can’t believe the Kelp forest is gone..hixx this is not fair..LOL.. :eyebrow:

Cheers
Bon
Ps: send me private e-mail and I will send you the link of all dive operators that you could use as a guideline.

rickg:
liberato,

That bag may be sold on on Sportsman Guide but they have another bag with almost the same exact specifications available. It is their Sportsman's Guide own "brand name" called Guide Gear and goes for $50. Here is the link:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=169813

Rickg

The Guide Gear one doesn't look like it has the side pockets or the backpack straps like the High Sierra one that RoatanMan recommended.

Even though the High Sierra Bag is sold out on Sportsman Guide, there are still other places to get it for a few bucks more. I know because I finally broke down and bought a couple. If you want blue, it's $59.97 at www.campmor.com. Red or black or blue for $69.95 at www.sierratradingpost.com.

This bag is the AT Gear Classic High Sierra AT102, it lists dimensions 36x16x14 in. and some sites say the capacity is 8060 cu. in. I weighed the bag and it is 9.8 lb. It looks like it has been discontinued and replaced by the AT Gear Access AT202, which for some reason lists larger dimensions of 36x20x14 but has smaller capacity of 6588 cu. in. The cheapest online for that model is about $120. It also comes in microsuede (MT202) but that looks too fancy for wet dive gear. Check out www.hssc.com.

Just got my bag, it looks pretty nice. It has a mesh pocket along the top of the drop-bottom compartment, and the backpack straps are thick and zip away behind a padded flap for check-in. The handle has two locking positions. Looks well-made. Can't wait to try it on our Big Island trip next week! Thanks for the tip, RoatanMan.

iainwilliams:
Roatan Man;

Hi - Just saw the bag thread - interesting.

I'm using a Ralf Tech bag and am not at all impressed with it. Straps tore out after 2 overseas trips.

The bag you are discussing. How much weight to do you normally carry in it??

Thanks..........Iain (Australia)

I push it to the limit of 70#. There are smart ways to do this, and then....

I devised a method of securing the two center "handle straps" together. This is why most bags rip. Think about it with some logic...

As a baggage handler grabs on to the nearest, simplest, surest, quickest thing... gues what- it is ONE of those straps.

If you can devise a way to secure the two together, how effectife that is!

I have used cable ties as well as vecro binders.

In this age of TSA where they can not be relied upon to put it all back together the way you sent it... it's all a crap shoot.

Hey- learn about carpet/button thread and heavy needles with thimbles. Sew like a sailor!

Thanks RoatanMan for bringing it up, and capybara for following up. I found the sold out links, but didn't have any luck finding it anywhere else.

I ordered one from campmor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom