Travel Bag? I found a great one!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The High Sierra Rolling Duffle looks a lot like my Eddie Bauer drop bottom duffle bag, with wheels, back-pack straps, etc... I found it on sale at Target a while back. It is too big for Carry-On luggage, unfortunately.

cra2:
Hrmm... (confused).
The original post by Roatan man includes this link:
http://www.hssc.com/index.php4?page=shop/flypage&product_id=9&category_id=9
The bag pictured has the same description as mine and is shown in blue or red.
And he described it as being available for under $60, like mine was.

Your link shows a bag only available in green or black, and is listed at over $100.
Other than the color (and price), I don't really see the difference at first glance.
But, either way, I think the original post is about the blue/red bag, not the one you're describing.

Not that yours isn't better. I dunno. Never seen it.
And not that this thread didn't change topics over time.
I'm only referring to Roatan's original post. I haven't read all 6 pages of posts.
I don't know if they switched gears and started talking about the AT202 instead.

But what I notice about the picture of the AT202 is that it looks like it has the same failure point. If the velcro isn't sturdy enough to prevent the straps from separating, then the handler is going to be tossing it around by one set of straps on one side - if you're lucky. If you're not lucky, he may actually be tossing it around by a single point on one of the straps.

So, it all boils down to this - does anyone have a bag, that when fully loaded, can be picked up and tossed around by ANY single strap/handle/carry point, as a busy luggage handler is apt to do?

If High Sierra replaces this bag, I'm not going to trust it to airline care ever again.
So I'm now looking for a new bag.

It may be that the AT202 is a bit heavier than the AT102. The thickness of the nylon at the strap attachment points I think would be pretty difficult to tear, even for the gorilla baggage handlers. I stumbled on RM's Post after the AT102's were pretty well out of circulation. I've seen a couple of clearance 202's at about $85.00 but usually they're $100-120. :42: Ken

I just got a PM from CRA2 and now, looking at this thread, I would have to agree (as I said in the PM), send the bag to High Sierra or at least ask them what to do. I have often found that the character of ones approach (or letter) often lays the foundation for a positive response.

On a more practical note, I can' tell you how many miles our bags have completred successfuly- with little damage or issues.

Sometimes you have to be smarter than the baggage handlers.

To avoid the ripped handle thing, yes you could use cable ties, but what works better is velcro strapping for bundling electrical cords/garden hoses. We thether a 7" length of this material by 10" of waxed cord to one of the handles and then securely wrap the two handles together. It has always come thru TSA re-tied and have never had a foreign issue.

Also in terms of "being smarter than the process", we immediately removed the bungee cord laced thru the top. It was a good 5' of usable bungee, but as it was on the case it only presented an obvious entanglement hazard for baggage handling equipment.

Our "big failure" so far: In some bizarre over design, HS put shoulder backpack straps on this bag, hidden under a zipped flap. The zipper got broken on one bag. I stitched up the flap- you'll never see this Sherpa backpacking one of these- not in my life time.

I have no idea if the model number has changed, but I can tell you that there's any number of happy divers using it over on http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/ccv/vpost?id=522161 Some bad results, too.

There is an element of "luck of the draw" as well. When you bag's number is up, there's no more to be said. The bagagge handlers will win in the long run.

cra2:
How do you use the High Sierra for dive gear?
We packed one with my dive gear, and one with hers, and flew to Bonaire.
When we arrived, we found one of the bags had ripped open where the strap meets the bag. (see pics in my gallery)
It's obvious (now), that the velcro that holds the straps together isn't sufficient and whenever the luggage handlers grabbed the straps from one side or the other, the velcro ripped apart, causing the full weight of the gear to be supported by a single strap. Of course it ripped.

Thanks for posting. We've used these bags on two trips without issue. I think we will now find a better method for keeping the handles together after reading this post.

The bag is sturdy, however it's not ment to be filled with 70lbs of gear, and then hauled by one strap especially if picked up when on it's side. The attachment point is not a failure, but the actual material is just ripping.

While I've certainly seen much heavier material (most of my camera bags has a LOT tougher material) this material *should* be able to withstand a good amount of abuse. The bagage handler must have gone above and beyond to rip that bag. :banghead:

RoatanMan:
To avoid the ripped handle thing, yes you could use cable ties, but what works better is velcro strapping for bundling electrical cords/garden hoses. We thether a 7" length of this material by 10" of waxed cord to one of the handles and then securely wrap the two handles together. It has always come thru TSA re-tied and have never had a foreign issue.

excellent ideas.
I really don't see how anyone else has NOT had a rip if they DIDN'T do something like this. Load it up and then pick it up by one of the straps with one hand. The velcro will bust apart leaving you holding the whole bag by one strap. In the brief moment it may not rip, but then start walking it around like that, and sling it up/down like a luggage handler will. The bag WILL rip. It's just a matter of when.

I wish I had noticed the design flaw BEFORE I travelled with it and had rigged up a similar solution. Your idea is great. I will do that now on the remaining bag.
And hopefully, HS will replace the ripped one.

Then, you just have to cross your fingers and hope whoever inspects the bag will bother to re-wrap the handles with your velcro solution.

Wristshot:
They used to carry those at Costco, and I bought one in June or July 2004 for just under $40. Nice bag.

Wristshot

They still do, they are just orange and grey. Great bag for the price!

I bought the High Sierra 36" from Campmor and the first time I used it was to Cocos a couple weeks ago - on arrival in San Jose, CR, the bottom compartment zipper had broken and was completely open. That was the compartment I put most of my gear in. Thankfully, the quick release snaps held and the gear stayed in - I was able to re-zip the bag for the ride to the hotel, didn't touch it until I got to the boat, but after that - total failure - the zipper was toast. Now I'm trying to decide on whether I should replace it with another or get my money back and buy something else.

Anyone had a problem with the zippers on this bag? Campmor is very good about returns, but now I just have to find a box big enough to send the thing back in!! (any advice on that also appreciated :) )

A saw it today at Costco. I used this bay for none diving travel 5+ times for last two years, and love it.

tomhuck:
A saw it today at Costco. I used this bay for none diving travel 5+ times for last two years, and love it.

Look carefuly- my Costco does not have the 36" High Sierra Roller Duffel. Similar, but no way the same or as good. Shop with care.

WaterKtn:
Anyone had a problem with the zippers on this bag? Campmor is very good about returns, but now I just have to find a box big enough to send the thing back in!! (any advice on that also appreciated :) )

I didn't have probs with the zipper, but as you know from my posts (above), I had the fabric tear where the carry strap is sewn on. And it was our first trip with the bags.
Good news is you're right - Campmor's good about returns. After you hound them.

I emailed and called them about the problem a couple of times. One time, the support person on the phone even said he was taking down our information and sending out a return authorization. But that never happened.

So, eventually I started prodding them again. This time the sales person ASSURED me that wouldn't happen. Sure enough, they sent out a brand new bag before asking for the old one in return. WaterKtn, that solved MY problem about finding a big enough box. I just pulled the new one out of the box and packed the torn one in it and send it right to them. (using the postage paid stamp they sent along with the new bag)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom