Travel Bag? I found a great one!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoatanMan:
Buy them at
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=162047 for $55. Sportsman's Guide has been doing mail order catalogs for many years. It's a reliable company.
Ow wow, I'm a premium member of the Sportsmans' Guide. I can get another 10% off the already ridiculously low price. Already pulled the bag up on their catalog. Thanks RoatanMan!

Hey Roatan Man,
How much stuff fits in this bag? I'm looking for a bag to take while travelling. How much scuba equipment fits in this bag and is there room left over for clothes or do you have to pack another bag? And it looks too big to be a carryon, is that right? Any problems with the wheels or handle? Does it do OK with salt water wet gear inside, any problems with rusting?

Excuse me.... may I hijack?? :)

Do you all put all of your gear in one bag when you travel? Hubby and I have always divided gear between our bags (with clothes etc.) and kids bags (carry on regs etc.)... I just don't like the idea that someone could potentially pick up our one bag and walk away with all of our dive gear!!! how depressing. This way, even if someone comes across it during security checks they can only get a piece or two and even that will be some work. Am I crazy and paranoid?? We haven't had any problems with this...but just wondered.

Any problems with checking this bag? With some airlines, if the L+W+H = more than 62, then they will charge an oversize baggage fee. What is the wieght of the bag empty? Thanks.

capybara:
Hey Roatan Man,
How much stuff fits in this bag? I'm looking for a bag to take while travelling. How much scuba equipment fits in this bag and is there room left over for clothes or do you have to pack another bag?
The bag is flippin' huge. If you click on the previously-posted sportsman's guide links to it, there are different photos of it being used by people. Gives you a good sense of scale.

I ordered a red one two hours ago. They say quantities are limited, so you may have to hustle.

Regarding splitting up gear in different bags, that's the preferred plan for airline travel, and the frowned-upon rule aboard ship.
The small charter planes in particular have specific size restrictions... instead of one big cargo space, these aircraft have ingeniously located smaller spaces within the fuselage and wings. Big luggage can't fit in some of these spaces; I've watched it attempted.
Shipboard, the old rule of the sea of "one man, one bag" is still favored. Less fuss.

I have different types of luggage available, and pick the ones most conducive to my travel. For extended scuba trips, I opt for one big bag, one medium bag, and one small bag (carryon). Scuba gear is divvied up between all three, with higher ratios in the smaller bags. Like Amy says, I don't want to lose it all either.

capybara:
Hey Roatan Man,
How much stuff fits in this bag? I'm looking for a bag to take while travelling. How much scuba equipment fits in this bag and is there room left over for clothes or do you have to pack another bag? And it looks too big to be a carryon, is that right? Any problems with the wheels or handle? Does it do OK with salt water wet gear inside, any problems with rusting?

Okay to check on real airplanes... ie: avoid this on a Cessna 400 serries, etc.

There's a lot of room, but then again, I go heavy . I pack my stuff into two of these and off I go. I come back with 1/2 my original load, leaving behind everything from DVD players, microwave ovens, tupperware and toys, shoes and tools.

Never a problem with the wheel or handle... or anything. No rust.

These kick @ss. Get a couple.

Thank you RoatanMan for the tip. I've been looking for a new bag for quite awhile.
Ordered a Red one Tuesday. Looks great and quite a bargain! Thanks again. Winenut.

winenut:
Ordered a Red one Tuesday.
Copycat. I figured everyone would go for the blue one. Now how am I supposed to tell your bag apart from mine on the baggage carousel?

Wristshot:
They used to carry those at Costco, and I bought one in June or July 2004 for just under $40. Nice bag.

Wristshot
I thought that it looked exactly like mine!
Blue too.
It is a great bag and has been all over with me.
RoatanMan:
While we hopped on over to Costco to gawk at the flat screen tv's, we also chatted with our pal that manages the night stocking crew- he showed us that $40 bag- they still carry it. It is nice, but nowhere near the bag mentioned above- in terms of size as well as durability.
OH. The Costco's still a nice bag, though.
Since I need another, I'll try this one.

Tom

archman:
Copycat. I figured everyone would go for the blue one. Now how am I supposed to tell your bag apart from mine on the baggage carousel?
Archman, being the helpful type you are, I will share my secret to solve the above problem. It works like a charm. Just go to a craft or fabric store and get some of the liitle jars of fabric paint. It just sqeezes out of a tip, you don't need a brush or anything. Then put a few distinctive marks on your bag. My bags all have little fish and bubbles on them. SO has the Nebraska N. You can do a little on each side, so no matter how your bag comes out on the carasol, you can pick it out with no problem. I always get tons of comments at the airport... and all follow along the line of "OH I wish I'd thought of that!" :) Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom