To tell or not to tell?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuriousMe:
However, now I know that when diving Down Under, I'll be able to take my med clearance and present it :)
Just make sure you provide adequate proof of your doc's credentials - those need to be approved as well...
wettek:
You bring me supporting paperwork from a properly accredited doctor

wettek:
Back off here Steve.

2- It seems now that everybodies doctor is a dive doctor, which nobody mentioned earlier in the forum.
You bring me supporting paperwork from a properly accredited doctor, and it'll be a different ballgame
I don't need to be personally bagged for trying to be a responsible SAFE instructor

DivemasterSteve:
IMHO as long as my docs (3 total and 1 is a diver) have cleared me to dive and my dive buddy knows what is going on, i dont think its anybody elses business.

steve

as you see in my other post, i did say that my doc was a diver.

and you said "1- What I tell a dive doctor is exactly what you have put on your waiver, Not my interpretation of it."

thats why i dont list the meds that i'm taking on anything. that way there is no problem because needless to say, i get very upset when someone that thinks they are doing the best thing for me tells me what i cant do, like go out on a dive that i have paid money to get there to do.

steve

why do people feel the need to treat others as children? if it is MY decision to
trust MY life to MY doctor, isn't that the end of the argument?

i tell what i want to whom i want and will live (or die) with the consequences. i've made an informed, thought-out choice. isn't that the end of the argument?

wettek uses words like "gross ignorance and arrogance," but i say, physician, heal thyself.

(pun intended)

For this reason my waivers/disclosure forms with the ops will be clean. My physician, if I'm seeing one, will have my medical history and have cleared me for the diving I intend to do.

Its NOYB, and that's the beginning and end of it, if I ever have a condition that requires that I take medication (or otherwise!)

It is exactly wettek's attitude and actions here - his "certified" physican is going to second-guess a physicain that has seen the patient, examined the patient, and made the determination, when HIS physican has done NONE OF THE ABOVE.

In the United States, by the way, writing scripts without actually examining the patient is considered malpractice. So is making a diagnosis (which you'd have to do to bar someone from diving) without actually seeing the patient.

Genesis:
Its NOYB, and that's the beginning and end of it, if I ever have a condition that requires that I take medication (or otherwise!)

It is exactly wettek's attitude and actions here - his "certified" physican is going to second-guess a physicain that has seen the patient, examined the patient, and made the determination, when HIS physican has done NONE OF THE ABOVE.

thank you sir, thats exactly what i'm talking about.

steve

wettek:
Back off here Steve.
1- What I tell a dive doctor is exactly what you have put on your waiver, Not my interpretation of it.
2- It seems now that everybodies doctor is a dive doctor, which nobody mentioned earlier in the forum.
You bring me supporting paperwork from a properly accredited doctor, and it'll be a different ballgame
I don't need to be personally bagged for trying to be a responsible SAFE instructor

Please define "supporting paperwork." Will you always accept a letter from my primary physician stating that he has conducted an examination and, in his opinion, diving does not represent an inordinate risk? Are there other conditions that might lead to my doctors opinion being ignored?

Please define "accredited doctor." Is a licensed medical doctor acceptable? Does it matter what country or state the physician is licensed in? How about alternative medical types? The term "diving doctor" has been used a couple of times - is that a requirement and, if so, how do you define diving doctor.

Simply put, there's a conflict here: your boat, your rules runs up against my money, my business. I don't know how to resolve a disagreement between these two reasonable positions. We may have to agree to disagree and I'm going to consider resolving the issue by smiling nicely and telling you what you want to hear. Especially if I've been cleared for diving and you don't divulge your intentions/requirements until I show up for the dive.

A lot of activity here, and sometimes in such - some will miss an important detail.

Snowbear:
Maybe so, but most of the replies here referred to a qualified doc. Your response wettek, is the reason for the original point presented in this post.

Now, here - Snowbear said "QUALIFIED DOC," but then Wettek responds...

wettek:
That's fine Snowbear, but their doc who has deemed them ok to dive may know squat about the physiology of diving-would you let your wifes gyno perform brain surgery on you?

If my Dive Doc certifies me safe to dive, then I'm going to dive - even if I have to shelter information from the operator.

Then, if I have any special conditions, I wear them on a dog-tag you'll see only if I need help later.

Yep, Wetty - I think you made the point for giving you the answers only on a need to know basis.

But Welcome to SB. Just try to see this view, will ya' :spank:

don

Changing the subject briefly, I'm curious about something you said, wettek.

"Waivers are also their <sic> for your own protection."

How do you figure?

Walter:
Changing the subject briefly, I'm curious about something you said, wettek.

"Waivers are also their <sic> for your own protection."

How do you figure?
OK-Forget it. Everybody is missing my point that the doctors we call are qualified dive physicians, as I stated, and we keep copies of their qualifications on board. As I stated which everybody seems to be forgetting, we do not make the calls ourselves. We had a fatality on board some months ago which the autopsy revealed was due to a pre-existing heart condition which the woman did not disclose. As a result, the 3 day trip was cut short, resulting in 24 very pissed off and upset divers-(also paying customers as everybody keeps repeating). This is very common here, we have even had people with major heart surgery being told not to disclose it, as we will can them. Fair go guys. I had an advanced student pass out on me at 30m on her deep dive, leaving me with un unconscious diver and 5 other near-to-panic students. She later confessed to a doctor she had not disclosed at her dive medical that she had a medical condition that caused dizzy spells and fainting as her GP had told her her meds kept it under control. Exactly the situation you are talking about, yet you want to condone it. I'll bow out here, as people seem to be drawing the conclusion that I am one of the baddy boys cutting their dives. If you want to blatantly lie about your meds, that's fine, just accept any consequences.
Any dives a good dive.

wettek,

You missed my point entirely.

I think both sides of the disclose/don't disclose debate have been expressed quite well. I haven't expressed my opinion on the topic and for various reasons, won't. I can certainly understand your point of view.

OTOH, you made an unrelated statement and I'm curious as to the logic behind it. I certainly wish you would explain why you feel waivers are for the protection of those signing the waiver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom