To tell or not to tell?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan:
Should you reveal what meds you are taking on any questionaire while on a dive trip?

The Nov/Dec 2003 edition of Alert Diver (DAN) had an article re a 72 year old diver who had his dives cancelled while on a liveaboard in Australia.
While filling out a dive questionaire onboard after the boat departed, the diver revealed he was taking Lipitor (cholesterol lowering drug) in response to a question re "what meds are you taking"
A crew member then phoned a doctor on shore and as a result his diving was cancelled.
It turns out Australia requires a current diving medical certificate if you are over 65 (not sure if that is in general or if you are on meds).

I am 62 and a frequent diver. The moral of this story for me is to not reveal anything on such questionaires. If you are a regular diver and take meds you already know, or should know, what the effects are, if any, as respects scuba diving.

I am sure the dive operation was just covering their backside but the man lost his trip. Hopefully he will recover the costs from the agency that booked his trip as they should likely have known theses requirements, as they are in the business.
One reason I could see for disclosing the meds, is if you required medical attention during your trip and you were not conscious to disclose this info to the doctor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom