To tell or not to tell?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wetty, it's good you have communication with a Dive Dcotor - for those who have not seen one. For those of us who do communicate with Dive Doctors before diving, though, anything from your DD would be interference, and - it's unfortunate that we have to lie to you to avoid this.

don

Wettek, just in case you do come back to the Board I thought I'd add something to your thought process.

First, your focus seems to have shifted from your original post where you seemed to be concerned about your liability and insurance company to your customers relationship to theirs.

While, it is good to be helpful to others that can be taken too far. Heaven knows I welcome the friendly suggestion, or the helpful hand when I need it. That is what good people do for each other. But your approach smacks more of paternalism than anything else. That is not welcome by me or most others.

Second, my insurance company, and I dare say most others, could care less what I tell you or anyone else in your situation. My medical or life insurance contract is with them, not with you. There are specific provisions in the insurance policy about prexisting conditions whether the insured knows about them or not. There are also specific provisions about uninsured activity. None of those provisions care a whit about what the insured tells you.

So, in light of what you've posted about Australian polices and the well publicized diver abandonments on your reefs I'm going to have to think long and hard before bringing any of my tourist dollars to your country. (To clarify: This comment is to illustrate that there are economic consequences to imposed policies, no matter what the intent.)

I was going to drop this entirely, but after your little hissy fit, I can't help myself. My concern has never been my liability, I've said this several times. Maybe you are only reading what you want to read rather than what I've written. If your final comment is indicative of your general attitude, then you are welcome to give us a miss.

reefraff:
Folks, the silt is starting to get pretty stirred up on this thread and we need to slow down and ease up before we lose the viz.

Steven:

I think you are right on. My Daddy used to say that true understanding only occurs when the gut comes along with the brain, but doesn't get ahead of it.

There is a simple solution to this.

For dive operators: Send the medical forms when the customer inquires about booking their trip long before they've made the flight.

For divers: If you know you have a potentially disqualifying condition ask in advance. If they say they won't take you then go someplace else.

I am not trying to be a prik here but. before purchasing the dive trip couldn't you correspond with the dive company and pre determine if you would be disqualified from the dive for taking such meds? I mean You know you take these meds you take them everyday you know you will be taking them that day. if they say yes it will disqualify you from the dive find another boat or resort or just don't tell

elec:
I am not trying to be a prik here but. before purchasing the dive trip couldn't you correspond with the dive company and pre determine if you would be disqualified from the dive for taking such meds? I mean You know you take these meds you take them everyday you know you will be taking them that day. if they say yes it will disqualify you from the dive find another boat or resort or just don't tell
:hmmm: I wonder? The thread is 2 years old, I wonder what he did do...?

Yes, I know this thread is 2 years old but what would happen if you have a note from your doctor saying it is OK to dive on the meds you are taking? The dive op could photocopy them and keep a copy absolving them of liability.

Diver Dennis:
Yes, I know this thread is 2 years old but what would happen if you have a note from your doctor saying it is OK to dive on the meds you are taking? The dive op could photocopy them and keep a copy absolving them of liability.
Been there, just recently. Doc cleared me to dive in early Dec, DAN agreed, dive buddy knew I was on coumadin still tho, didn't tell the Op in late Dec. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom