Diving after heart attack with stent placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At 47 I had a heart attack. at that time I raced mountain bikes, road bikes could squat twice my body weight and bench it for reps. I’ve never smoked, no family history of heart disease, and eat better than most.

Your cardiologist can’t see the future, if you wanna dive, dive. Doing something you love will only add years to your life.

Worry less, dive more

I too had a heart attack and had to have a Stent installed. We were planning a Florida trip so I went into see my heart doctor about diving. Lucky for me, my doctor knows what what was what. He cleared me to "plus one atmosphere" so I'm good to 33 foot. Talk to your cardio doctor.

I am not a doctor. But I have seen people diving with a stent, so that would not be the problem.
But I don't now if there are other things against diving.

The age, 72 is not an age that it means you are too old for diving. I have seen older divers, till 89.
It depends on how fit you are.
About the heavy equipment, do you need to carry it yourself or not? That can be a thing to think about. I have seen a couple in their 80-s last december in Bali. And yes, I know, Asia is know for their very helpful people, but we also carry equipment for disable people. The couple in Bali had their own guide who brought the equipment to the water. The man was older than his wife, but was fitter. So the guide first helped the man in the water, then brought the equipment to him, putted it on and then the guide brought the woman with end stage cancer to the water and did the same thing, including putting fins on. We have had some lunches and breakfast together, so we talked about diving. The doctor of that woman said to her: you really like diving, if you don't dive you will die due to cancer, if you go diving, you will also die due to cancer, so go and enjoy the time you have. So she was cleared to dive.

What I want to say with this is that being old and maybe not that strong anymore does not mean that diving is a problem. There are maybe options to let someone bring you the equipment to the water. And maybe you can avoid strong currents or so. If people in a wheelchair can dive, divers over 80 can dive, then the weight of equipment is not the problem. It is being fit enough with other things if you can dive or not in my eyes.
Oh, a couple of years ago, we (2 cave instructors) have taken a diver in a wheelchair into a cave. This was a wish of that diver, and the diver was also not that young anymore. But she was cleared to dive, once in the water did not need help to swim, is used to dive in a drysuit. But of course, currents could not be done. And getting in the water could be done with help. So we helped someone with a bucketlist. We had to change some things with the equipment to get the required redundancy as the diver was not able to use a normal inflator of a bcd/wing. But during open water session before travelling to the cave we have practised this. And standards don't say you are not allowed to have a cylinder on your front that you can reach valves yourself. The divetime was limited to 30-35 minutes as the water was quite cold for this diver (10 degrees C). All together we had 2 instructors in the water, 1 cavediver, and at surface 1 person that was able to pull her out of the water if really needed in an emergency.

So if you know your limits, diving is something you really want to do, and a doctor will say it is ok to dive, then the equipment is the last thing to worry about in my eyes. Options for this will be found.

Back
Top Bottom